Doctor Who, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by evilas, Apr 16, 2017.

1. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Finally got around to watching Episode 4.
    *Ron Weasley voice* "why did it have to be spiders?"

I absolutely agree with you, Kleric. Everything Capaldi did or Whittaker does, I still find myself looking for that Matt Smith excitement and I can't seem to find it. Of course I can't, it's a new person! It's hard to let go of nostalgia, honestly. And after all, there's a reason why your first Doctor was your first Doctor - you probably wouldn't have gotten into the show without them!

• Agree x 1
  2. evilas

So, I was extremely excited when it first came out, but... It still doesn't feel right. There's a certain dark atmosphere that hasn't left, like it's lingering from the Capaldi times.
    I don't know what it is. It's like I wanted to take a breath of fresh air and I got, like, normal indoor room air. Like, don't get me wrong, indoor is where all my favorite videogames are, but. Idk. Ever since the second half of the Matt Smith stuff, I feel. It's gotten...
    I don't know.
    There's something specific that I want from this show that I feel like I haven't gotten yet.
    The way they talk? Maybe? The... The only word I can find is "atmosphere" but like. I can't even property describe it.
    9 didn't have it. 12 didn't have it. Post-Amy&Rory 11 didn't have it. And now it feels like 13 won't have it either. And I have no idea what it even is.
    I like it, but it feels like I'm replaying an awesome game for the 4th time: I'll enjoy it, but there's a constant feeling of "ok but how much fun are you really having?" And I don't want to feel that cause I really like Thirteen and I like Ryan and I love Yaz and it feels like I should be enjoying it more than I am. I just. Don't get giddy about it the way I used to. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

So, maybe, as a request if anyone would like to help, could you please tell me what you like about Thirteen, specifically?
    What makes you feel giddy about her, makes you shake in joy and excitement when she does something?
    If there is something specific that someone absolutely loves when she does, I'd very much like to know. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Edit: I just realized, it might literally just be "I'm extremely tired and also I'm arachnophobic so maybe it's just that I can't think straight rn"
    So, uh.
    If you wanna ignore all of the above, feel free.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

@kleric MAN HARD AGREE WITH SO MUCH OF THAT

• i loved River in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, for all the reasons you listed. and also because i love the idea that the Doctor has a much bigger life than could ever fit onscreen, and we only get to see a tiny fraction of their adventures. i thought River was a BRILLIANT character for a two-parter, and as much as i love Alex Kingston i honestly think she would have worked better if she stayed there. the Doctor having a whole entire relationship offscreen would have been a great way to help convey the way they live on a timescale much vaster than any human could experience. give that sort of sense of scale, while also humanizing the Doctor, while ALSO keeping them mysterious. alas.
    • Martha was honestly amazing and deserved so much better. i love that she left on her own terms, not because she was ripped away. very annoyed about her getting pair-the-spares-ed offscreen. i might not have minded so much if she hadn't left the tardis because she wasn't happy having unrequited feelings for the Doctor-- it seems like too blatant of a "see she moved on! she's happy now because she's married!" move.
    • i enjoy Jack Harkness as a character and i enjoyed the hell out of Torchwood, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the dynamic Jack has with the Doctor. they are both very used to being the center of attention, and the fact that Jack challenges the Doctor's authority makes their interactions really fun whenever he shows up. i love how annoyed the Doctor gets at Jack's flirting-- the Doctor knows that Jack is actually better at being charming than they are and it bugs them.
    • WILF WILF WILF WILF WILF

• Agree x 3
  4. evilas

Episode 6, it was Good.
    Very good.
    I don't really have any further comments, other than,
    It was Good.

• Agree x 1
  5. evilas

yo I watched the New Year's Special and I LOVED it!
    DALEK! BUT OUT OF ITS SHELL! And we get to see just how dangerous they are.
    Not in a group. Not in a blastproof shell. Not with extermination beams.
    Just one.
    One single scout.
    Alone.
    Who HACKS INTO A BLACK MARKET FOR ALIEN WEAPONS, GETS AN EXTERMINATION BEAM, AND BUILDS ITSELF A FUCKING SHELL BY FUCKING HAND.

Why does the Doctor fear the Daleks? We got reminded of that this episode.

I loved this episode

AND
    AND

When the Dalek scans the Doctor and it takes a step back, oh man.
    Oh man she is just as good at that pose of "scan me. Notice how much of a threat I am" as Eleven was, and Eleven was fucking amazing at it.
    And she says "I'm the Doctor" and the Dalek goes bonkers I LOVE IT.

Yeah, some parts were dumb, some parts took themselves too seriously.
    But overall?

I really needed this episode. This weird mix of lighthearted excitement and genuine fear that gets contrasted with badassery on both the part of the bad guy's and the Doctor's, it's good to have that again. Not for every episode, if you do it more than a couple of times in a season it gets old fast, but every so often it's just. Fun.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Praxius was a VERY GOOD episode of doctor who

also I love the new Master, I love jack harkness more than I can describe, and I fucking love Thirteen so much oh my god. also Yaz! she’s a good companion!!!!

• Agree x 1
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

ok while I love 13 her episodes have been hit or miss for me. the Amazon episode was weird as hell with its message, the fake resort with apex predator mutated humans thing was anvilicious, and there are several more that I've forgotten atm. but the past few episodes have been amazing, reminiscent of the best RTD stuff. feels like the show is slowly but determinedly undoing all the damage Moffat did to the atmosphere and general universe. in the past few episodes, the weirdness between the Doctor and her companions that's been bugging me since the start of her run has felt firmly intentional for the first time. it feels like character development for her, and like they've all finally achieved the character development that companions usually get, but which it was difficult for them to get because there were three of them introduced at once all vying for screentime and attention. Can You Hear Me deeeeefinitely felt like a major setup episode for the end of the season and also for the end of these companions' tenure so we will see how that goes. and I cannot fucking wait to find out what's up with Gallifrey this time :D

• Like x 1
  8. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Uh

I really didn't expect her to wipe the mind of someone who was protesting it

I guess the writers didn't want the implication that Lovelace was just copying things she'd seen, but I feel like they could have written it as the Kaasavin experience being so upsetting that Lovelace wanted her memories of them wiped even if it meant losing the insight into the future.

Anyway on to the semi-regular destruction of Gallifrey

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I mean, it's not like she hasn't done it before.

still crying about Donna

• Agree x 1
  10. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Oh so they are obsessed with women losing their memories.

Got it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. kleric

kleric Member

Finished S10. VERY EMOTIONAL ABOUT BILL POTTS.

12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

hello zombie thread, anyone else got the living shit scared out of them by Wild Blue Yonder last Saturday?

13. evilas

YES.
    Oh my god yes I was fucking scared they were legitimately gonna kill Donna like jesus fuck

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I didn't realize this post was 2 weeks old whoops.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    • Agree x 1
  14. evilas

anyway anyone else absolutely fucking loved Neil Patrick Harris last saturday and wished he had more screentime cause god yes.

• Agree x 1
  15. Camber

Camber Active Member

it was very very fun. love a gay coded villain. especially when there's like, other queer characters n perspectives? a delightful treat

edit: also the song sequence was really great, I can't remember another dw song sequence I've liked as much

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    • Agree x 1
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

saw someone on tumblr point out that for the doctor, that bit was at max a couple days after Ra Ra Rasputin. haunted by camp villain musical numbers

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice