Does anyone else get plot seeds from dreams?

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by ChelG, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Anyone else have dreams which would make great story ideas? I have a lot.

-My boss at the cinema I worked at in my teens was a vampire and all the workers had to team up to fight her.
    -Seen from the POV of a runaway preteen boy who walks through a snowy lane, emerging at the other end into a sunny park filled with happy families. He joins up with three girls who wear St Trinians' uniforms complete with straw hats, live in a burned-out car, and run with a wolf pack at night. That one was in rhyme. That happens sometimes and I'm always annoyed I can't remember the rhymes when I wake up, even though they were probably complete nonsense.
    -A really bad nightmare I'd forgotten about until I read back through my blog. My dad was trapped in another universe by a vague shadowy villain, and was dying. Universe-hopping was performed with single-use magical eggs, and I only had one (I hadn't at this point seen the Percy Jackson movies, BTW) so either neither of us ever returned home or I never saw my dad again. I woke up at the point I was trying to bargain the egg's power to the villain in order to send messages to and from my dad so I could potentially tell him how to save himself.
    -I was one of a bunch of college kids on a mission to overthrow Kim Jong-un. We cornered him in his palace and he was killed when the ceiling broke in and crushed him in a pile of money. That was satisfying.
    -I am terrified of slugs, and as I mentioned on Tumblr I think this is the ultimate privileged-person nightmare; six-foot slugs were legally declared British citizens and I was ostracised as racist for throwing up.

2. Hatchback

Hatchback ... he is just fine again today

Yes! I don't always often remember my dreams, but my dreams tend to contain personifications and explorations of whatever's going on in my waking life, and always have a distinct (if bizarre, because dream logic) plot.

I actually started to get the idea for a metaphorical comic I've been working on from a pretty symbolic dream I had recently! (I mean... I find dream interpretation generally silly - When it's done by anyone besides the dreamer. I personally find it useful as a brain-provided self-reflection tool. It's all about what kind of person you are and how you think and dream, really).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice