Does this exist?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ihasa, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Ihasa

Ihasa Active Member

I am looking for a thing! It is a type of ruler.

Are any of you looking for a thing that you can describe but cannot find? That as soon as you know the word for it you'll be off like a light but until then you are sitting in frustration staring at incorrect search results?

Currently looking for:

does there exist a ruler that rotates at 0cm/"/whatever?
    googles just giving me instructions for rotating rulers in like clipstudipo and photoshop
    I want to be able to alight the 0 on a physical piece of metal/wood/plastic to a dot on my paper and then move the other side of the ruler to my destination and look back at the 0 and it's still on the dot
    whereas right now I align the dot and move the other side and look back at the 0 and put it back at the dot and then adjust the end of the ruler back to the destination and repeat until they actually alight until I slip and move the ruler and I am frustration
    perhaps a ruler with a channel down the center? you put a pencil at 0 and rotate around that?

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Useful x 1
  3. Ihasa

Ihasa Active Member

That is cool, but I am looking to make straight lines.

• Informative x 1
  4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Best guess is maybe a carpenter's folding ruler might do something similar to what you need, or possibly a sliding bevel gauge?

5. Ihasa

Ihasa Active Member

Hmmm... a bullseye ruler is almost right, if instead of a big rectangle cutout and a slide it had a much thinner cutout just big enough for a pencil tip.
    The red circle seems to be able to be pushed down in a way that keeps the bullseye centered on point A, but with the size of the cutout finding the center to put it on point be is more difficult, though I suppose one could just slide the slide at the same time as rotating. Reviews indicate they might be cheaply made though.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice