Dragon Age anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Kittenly, Apr 25, 2015.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I really want to play that DLC, but all my characters in Marlon's PS4 are low level and I won't be at my mom's with my pc for another week. Woe is me, woe is me.

2. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

The DLC is available as soon as you get to Skyhold and it scales with level - not like Jaws of Hakkon!

So far I'm pretty happy with it, although the loot is ridiculous and sells for 1000-5000 gold a piece. It really feels like an underground world in the way that Origins had a hard time capturing in any but a few places.

3. witchknights

hmm, then i might get both the PC and PS4 versions, it's only $30. I mainly hate not being able to look at tumblr for fear of spoilers ):

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  4. Mercury

I'm now roughly halfway through the DLC (maybe less, but I'm on the third floor of six). Impressions so far: Very big, very atmospheric, feels very underground without being claustrophobic. I really get the feeling of how this was once a vast underground kingdom. There was also some really cool new music in one part.

Now that we see the rest of the darkspawn, they're even grosser looking that they were before. Ogres especially got a scariness upgrade. We finally see more shrieks (which I imagine are giving Embriel a serious case of the willies, since he's an elf) and run into a LOT of shriek emissaries. Man, fuck emissaries. There are also lots of scraps of lore, and the two temporary companions are really interesting. They banter a bit every now and then, bickering between each other or telling a story. Sometimes your companions interject; so far I've found that Varric and Dorian have things to say every now and again, especially Varric, but Cassandra doesn't have much other than a disgusted noise at one point. I probably should have brought Bull. :D

RIDICULOUS amounts of loot, including some really sweet Bianca upgrades. If you ever wanted to buy every last bit of Skyhold decor in Val Royeaux and every last mount from Dennett, this is the DLC that's going to fund it. There are some nice new schematics - so far I've found a staff and a few other weapons - but they don't have upgrade slots. Still, they look really neat.

Also, if you're not used to using tactical camera and play on anything harder than casual... this is a good time to get used to using tactical camera. x_x; There are areas where that will SAVE YOUR BACON.

Even though I don't have a lot of spending money, so far I'm feeling like this is very worth the $15 - despite the difficulties I had with the quest that kept crashing and the time I had to spend troubleshooting it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like x 3
  5. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

The main thing I want to know: Is there a Brood Mother? I am not sure I am prepared for HD Brood Mother.

6. Mercury

Oh yeah, there's lots of exploring to be done. From story point to story point is pretty linear, but the game makes use of the fact that you can jump and has areas you can find hidden stuff if you look around and maneuver carefully.

@a tiny mushroom no sign of broodmothers so far! I'm doubting we'll see any at all, since the darkspawn are adversaries but the DLC isn't focused on them, if that makes sense. The DLC seems like it's taking us even deeper than the Deep Roads, and I have a feeling we'll get some expansion of the weird shit we encountered in the Ancient Thaig in DA2.

A person on the dragon age reddit who has already played through the DLC (lucky xboxers) says they encountered no broodmothers.

• Like x 5
  7. witchknights

yeah, I was going to ask that, because: gross

im happy AF we'rte getting more lore on the dwarves. i really need it for my Big Mean Writeup

• Like x 1
  8. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Ahhhhhhh I want so much but No Can Has...

I'm glad it's good though. Hopefully moirail and I can figure out a screenshare thing so I can play it on her computer... Can you post some of the lore (spoiler tagged, maybe)? The text is usually so small on my TV that I can't read it very well.

9. Mercury

I've got to head to bed now, but I'll definitely post some tomorrow!

• Like x 1
  10. Mercury

AAAAAUGH

THERE ARE WEIRD ARMORED PEOPLE IN THE PLACE UNDER THE DEEP ROADS AND THEY HAVE SEMIAUTOMATIC CROSSBOWS THAT FIRE LYRIUM BOLTS

EVERYTHING IS AWFUL

• Like x 1
  11. witchknights

Is there anything on the Fade? I need to know if my fic is jossed before I even finish the first draft

12. Mercury

Nothing directly! There are some things that may have interesting implications, but it's all a bit vague atm.

13. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

I've been listening to Tom Lehrer and now I want a video of Shale doing stuff set to Poisoning Pigeons In The Park.

• Like x 1
  14. Mercury

I'm sorry I didn't get to posting the lore, @Kittenly /o\ Some kind soul took screencaps of all of it here, but the images will probably have some spoilery bits of their own.

If you don't want to comb through those I'll see what I can pick out from the codex entries. There wasn't as much as I was hoping for, and as the Inquisitor says at the end, I have more questions than answers, but it was still pretty cool.

15. Kittenly

@Mercury Don't worry about it! I managed to bribe my matesprit's sister into lending her PS4 to me for the weekend :DD So I'm playing it now, and the Dwarf stuff is delish. God. I love Dwarves. I love wandering in the bones of civilizations that have fallen and diminished. They did a great job of capturing the fallen glory of the Dwarves in this DLC. I think even more so than the Elves, which is all just told in Codex's and dialog.

But seeing the old Thaigs, and seeing the enormous caverns. It gives me similar chills to what they accomplished in Moria in The Fellowship of the Ring.

• Like x 1
  16. Mercury

I agree! There's nothing like actually seeing all these ruins for ourselves. Those huge open areas...!

It gets even better as you go further down. *_*

17. witchknights

I can't wait for Monday. Everything about the dlc sounds so cool.

• Like x 2
  18. Kittenly

It is great so far!

The two dwarf NPC companions you travel with are really cool. Also, out of curiosity, who do you guys have on the Orzammar Throne? I've got Bhelen, and I was wondering if there's any difference if Harrowmont is there. There's a few lines so far that have mentioned Bhelen.

AHHHHH. *Does adulty things so I can get back to DAI*

I now want to continue playing Ren because I need to get the Keeper Robes Schematic from that one dragon and make her new pretty armor. Also I need to make an enchanter's coat with Silverite because Sera looked absolutely gorgeous in it.

• Like x 1
  19. Mercury

I have Bhelen on the throne in Embriel's playthrough, but I have Harrowmont on the throne in Lamia's playthrough; I think I'll take her through the DLC soon, so I'll post about it when I do. (She's also a dwarf, and I gather there's extra conversation for Cadash inquisitors :D)

And yeah, I liked the NPC companions a lot. I got awfully attached to Lieutenant Renn. Valta took me a bit longer since her voice actor sounds like of flat and awkward, but I decided to parse it as Valta herself being kind of stuffy and awkward, which really warmed me up to her.

20. Mercury

OH ALSO, I'm looking through some screenshots where I took some caps of the things Cole says about dwarves, and they're even more interesting in light of what happens in the DLC. I really wish I'd capped more than the immediately interesting phrases though since I don't remember the context very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice