Dragon Age anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Kittenly, Apr 25, 2015.

1. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

i know, right??? I was going to use the default femhawke hair mod, but this one looked so much better and it's SO difficult to use that I had to.

She looks pretty cute with da2's bowlcut, too.

• Like x 1
  2. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Ugh I wanna smooch her. Her profile is showing off some hella lips. also that lil bump in her nose. i wanna smooch that too.

• Like x 2
  3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Well, I'm thinking I'll finally start playing these games. Anyone have any masterlists of mods for the first game? Because I've seen some of the stuff @Mercury makes/reblogs and they all look really neat.

• Like x 1
  4. Kittenly

I'm not sure about a master list, but theses are the ones I can't play without:

Extra Dog Slot
    Larger Inventory
    Skip The Fade (You go to everyone's nightmare without all the bullshit maze stuff)
    Unlock Specialization
    Ser Rory (Fan companion, fully voice acted, romanceable, a MUST for cousland)
    Warden Armor
    Ashes of death (mostly for replays)
    romance tweaks and fixes (for each romance youre playing)
    sleep until dawn

Ones people may like or not:

free love
    lockbash
    alistair hair mod (I can't stand his stupid boyband hair)
    5 million kinds of armor and weapons. just search for ones you like
    nude mods (the sex scenes are actually less terrible with this. though still awful)
    various sex scene mods

5. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I'd skip things like Skip the Fade and noncanon companions for a first playthrough. They're fun, but I think a more or less vanilla experience for the first playthrough gets you a better feel for the world than one tweaked to someone else's tastes. (There are people who actually really like the Fade part. You never know!)

One exception is combat. Give the combat a good try, figure out if you think you'll have fun with it or if you kind of hate it. If you kind of hate it after the beginning, you'll REALLY hate it after a couple of major quests, and getting mods that increase combat speed and tweak aspects of it will make the game a lot more enjoyable.

Romance fixes is a must - DAO has some weird and sometimes game breaking bugs that never got fixed.

The tucked hair mod gives you some hairstyle variations on styles that come with the vanilla game. Good if you have female characters and maybe aren't a fan of the mods with super high poly, high fashion hairstyles.

Female proportion fixes human | elf | dwarf - the proportions in this game are hilariously bad. There's no hope for the guys, but the ladies at least get to look less like badly rigged gorillas. Of the three, I think the dwarf is the real must-have - the dwarven women look really strange otherwise.

6. witchknights

I would recommend the romance fixes, More Readable Fonts, the no helmet hack, extra dog slot (take your dog everywhere!), autoloot, the hair and proportion mods Mercury mentioned, and I love the Warden Armor for aesthetic purposes. Skip the Fade is kind of a necessity for me for replays because I can never work out the puzzle, but that's personal preference.

7. Kittenly

Skip the Fade is necessary for me, but I suppose you could give it a shot before modding. My problem was that there was no real way for me to tell where to go and what to do, and it got really frustrating in the way old old rpg's were because they didn't give you enough info to figure out what to do.

I still think that if you play a Cousland, you should have Rory. He's a minor character from that origin, and unless you're gonna play so many characters that you have multiple Couslands, I think he's worth having.

Seconding no helmet mod, fixed proportions, and tucked hair.

8. Kittenly

The Trespasser and Descent OST's have been released and fucking hell they're so good.

Didn't accidentally pay $500 for it this time either! heh... heh...

9. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

Anyone know if there is a dialogue mod for DA:I? One that makes the full "What you will say" be options instead of the wheel o' guessing?

10. KarrinBlue

Well, finally got origins and the second game since they were on sale. Probably won't buy Inquisition until it's on a bigger sale.

• Like x 1
  11. Mercury

@KarrinBlue When you're looking out for sales for DAI, look for the Game of the Year edition - it comes with the DLCs and item packs, and all of the DLCs are solid gameplay.

12. KarrinBlue

That's my plan! :)

• Like x 1
  13. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I'd say do the Fade once with the knowledge that there's a mod to skip it for a reason. That way you know what happens, have the experience and know the pain. The first time I played it, I stopped immediately after the Fade and installed the mod and have never done it again. Fuck the Fade

I have a bunch of cosmetic mods installed. There's also a mod that adds a storage chest to the camp which is really nice. Lock Bash is nice if you're not playing a rogue (i have it set to have no chance of destroying items, its basically just there to let me get loots without a rogue). Sex scene and nude body mods can be fun for lulz.

Also I am totally here for people's first time reactions to Bioware games

14. KarrinBlue

Anyone have a step-by-step guide to setting up mods?

15. witchknights

I think there's an installer in the nexus mods? If I'm not mistaken you can also dump them in the packages/override folder in my documents.

You'll also need the chargenmorph compiler if you downloaded a lot of different cosmetic mods.

• Like x 1
  16. Mercury

@KarrinBlue

The full path of the mod folder is something like C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override - most mods you can just unzip right into there. The exception is dazip files, which need an installer (for all they're basically zip files themselves) - look here.

You asked on tumblr about the romance fix mods - they're Morrigan Restoration Patch and Zevran Dialogue fixes. Even if you don't intend on romancing either of them, these mods fix a lot more bugs than the ones just in their romances.

17. KarrinBlue

I looked for the biowaste folder but couldn't find it. Doesn't appear to be in documents, certainly. Is that something that happens if you download from Steam?

18. Mercury

I've got DAO on Steam and it's there. :/ Unless Steam changed something (maybe?), that's the general location it keeps your saved games in, too.

Have you run the game at all? It may be that you need to start the game and do something like configuring options before it will create that folder.

19. KarrinBlue

That's probably it! I was thinking I'd get mods and stuff set up before I tried to play it over break but it'd make sense if you needed to load it beforehand.

• Like x 1
  20. Kittenly

@KarrinBlue
    I'm pretty sure you've got to make a game before those files will appear in your documents. So just make a quickstart throwaway character and save them. Hopefully that should work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice