Dreams thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. shmeed

shmeed plant me

me and some friends decided to go to new orleans on a whim to stay a haunted hotel so we just started driving there
    along the way we stopped in a stopover town in the south. the kind of town on the highway place you might stop at on a long trip for some food or a hotel
    and i saw a really cute cat at a gas station and said hi kitty. then it started following the car. it kept pace with the car. the driver was allergic and was like 'wtf did you do jake why is there a cat following us'
    i was like 'can we keep him' and
    smashcut to we find out it's lin manuel miranda's cat. but i have a feeling he's lying. also the cat is a robot. so i construct an elaborate ruse where i have him get on stage with all these props. i ask him to hand me the wiimote. he reaches for a tv remote. a-ha. i have discovered you, lin. how could someone with a robot cat not know what a wiimote is, in 2018? you just want the cat because it's expensive robotics
    and he was like. curses, ive been foiled.
    and then i stole the cat and got back on the road. turns out theres no allergens in robotic cats so everyone was happy

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Two odd recent dreams, or at least parts of them:

The first involved a society in which court cases did not have preassigned juries; rather, the jury was randomly and secretly selected from the audience just before the actual testimony and examination started, without being told that they were jurors until after everything was presented. Furthermore, if they didn't feel up to the task of rendering a verdict, they could pass, in which case their position would be filled by a set of backup, randomly secretly selected audience members.
    The society was small and attendance was mandatory. It was still very confusing for everyone involved, and also it looked like it was a summer camp, which explains why the setup was so bonkers. This is perhaps the only dream I've ever had that contained anything even remotely resembling an explanation for why it made no sense.

The second was an RPG, wherein you wandered through a village doing the usual break-all-the-pots, loot-people's-houses type deal until you got to some quest item. And because it's an RPG, none of the NPCs really pay any attention.
    Then later, you had to go through the same village, only now absolutely everyone is hostile and armed and you can't inflict damage on them.
    Fortunately, like most of my dreams this was in third person, so it was hilarious.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Ngl, that first one would actually make an interesting story idea, the concept I mean.

4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

When bad things happen in my dreams, I seem to have the ability to rewind them and try to rework the scenario. It almost never improves it significantly, though, sadly.

5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

This was actually from the night before last night.
    As often happens in relatively weird dreams, I'm reading a book. In this case, a comic-with-some-purely-text-parts in some magazine, which is an out-of-continuity crossover story featuring a bunch of characters from that editor and some interdimensional secret society. As, I assumed at the time, expected because the writers are lazy and the status quo cannot ever be broken, it ends with the good old mandatory memory wipe for everyone, which is pretty upsetting to me, even bordering on triggering, despite obviously not having any actual trauma related to it.
    (:thinking:)
    Anyway, I'm kinda annoyed and plan to skip the ending, but then I notice there's someone I know in there. Not a character I like, one of my actual friends. So I go "what the fuck", before remembering that apparently, in the context of that dream, they totally are some fictional comic character I just happen to like a lot. I keep reading anyway, and, unexpectedly, most of the characters, including that friend, try to resist the thing. So, the Weird Interdimensional Organization agents revert to some method which involves confusing the person, saturating their brain with information until it breaks, and then rewriting everything from scratch with extra safeties against it happening again (AKA "you'll agree unconditionally to getting your memory wiped the easy way next time").
    And then they fuck up, and everyone ends up with various weird shit such as, in the case of actual-friend, somehow apparently having their mind replaced with a crab's. One random character is completely unaffected, does some snarky comment on how they screwed up, and the story ends here. Hey, it's out of continuity, so you can fuck up whatever you want, I guess.

I skip to the end, where there's another short story about the same agents as in the other, this time something about repurposing an ice cave in some fantasy setting as a cold storage room, and the Shenanigans(tm) that ensue. Thus implying that whether or not the previous story itself is out of canon, that organization does exist within that meta-continuity.

• Like x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Really weird sword design in my dream last night. It was not dissimilar to Cloud Strife's giant sword, with one sharp edge ending in a hook, but it was bent near the handle to make a sort of scoop shape; think one of these, except not narrowing at the handle. I think I have to draw it. I don't know how much use it would be as an actual weapon but it looked awesome. And I was using it to fight possessed wooden dummies along with Blossom from the Powerpuff Girls, for some reason.

• Like x 1
  7. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

It was like Food Wars (Shokugeki No Souma) except instead of battles it was based around espionage at a hipster food festival.
    I got caught trying to figure out how this woman made cookies entirely out of salt and celery.
    (Secret: she cheated and used soy sauce. It made sense at the time.)

• Winner x 2
  8. kleric

kleric Member

Had a brief afternoon nap and I guess I finally cashed in that date with Jack Harkness he promised me in another dream months ago. Remember very few details beyond an exploding moon/asteroid/?? and a unicorn? it was purple? and at one point we were in a store and somebody threw a mug at me? I should try to write more dreams down as soon as I wake up, when I manage to it's always friggin hilarious.

• Winner x 3
  9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Had an awesome durarara!!/homesick mashup dream last night, from the POV of Izaya as a troll :3

He was high teal, with small, sharp horns that canted backwards somewhere between a dikdik and a goat, and forked at the tips. His lusus was a cockatrice - a Brahma-sized rooster fused with a snake the size of a Burmese python from behind the wings, that could paralyze with a stare, but it wore a falconry hood until he wanted to sic it on someone.

He and Shizuo had a very healthy kismesistude - Shizuo was high blue with the same STRONG issue as others of that caste, and horns that canted forward into a single point like the centrepiece on a crown. Ikebukuro was either a colony ship or a section of one, and they were dealing with the new influx of ascension newbies, including Mikado (cerulean) and his clade - his moirail Kida (yellow, obviously) and his not-quite matesprit Anri (rust, and powerful enough to be a battery except he used his position to fudge her records).

Aoba was also there as a young indigo who wanted Izaya pitch and kept trying to get between him and Shizuo, lol.

(Guess who's slightly obsessed with DRRR!! atm and deeply frustrated with the lack of good pitch fic in this fandom.)

• Winner x 1
  10. PotteryWalrus

Last night jackalopes were real but they turned into taxidermy when you caught them.

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 1
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

last night i had a bunch of normal dreams (you know, nonsense that you forget really fast) and then there was one bit where i thought my alarm was going off?? and i was really concerned about it being so quiet

but it was so quiet because it wasn't actually going off i was just dreaming it

• Like x 1
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i had a dream abouf a restaurant that would let you recover from medical procedures there? And then my mom and i made replicas of some really old clothes/knitwear and put on a play

• Winner x 1
  13. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I had this fantastic vivid dream that I ditched my family (they understood) to hang out with youtubers Dan and Phil.

This was after I tried to take a shortcut through an enormous Catholic church the size of a factory. People were really nice about it as I unsuccessfully wandered through an in-progress sermon and accidentally crashed a balloon archery and ballroom ballet dancing(?) party...

Hanging with Dan and Phil was even more fun than ballroom ballet balloon archery. Also there was *exactly* the correct amount of awkwardness for that level of mismatch in biographical information. I’d go, oh yeah isn’t that what you got your masters in? and there’d be a brief moment where the conversation would slightly falter because they didn’t know anything about me besides what I’d just told them so conversational reciprocity had to reroute. Oddly realistic.

What was less realistic was the extremely large room in their apartment that was a tribute to the game The Witness. It had a grassy hill, which turned out to be perfect for rolling down. I think my sleeping brain had some trouble simulating the sensation of rolling down a hill in a Witness room but it was still a lot of fun.

For some reason we ended up following a bizarrely shaped refrigerated truck to a butcher shop (not nearly as Dexter as it sounds), where Phil decided maybe he didn’t need to buy fresh rabbit after all. I thought this was a reasonable decision and suggested we go for burgers.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  14. kleric

kleric Member

I have probably collected enough Doctor Who dreams to write a whole season, but I have only now found out how we met in the first place. I ran into David Tennant sneaking around in some backyard and went 'omg' and he's like 'wait, I know you, do you know me?' - 'ye you're David Tennant hi!!!' - 'no??? I'm the Doctor???' - ':D' - 'no, seriously, I'm the Doctor' - alright, sure, I'll happily play along.

from the backyard we observe some big modern house with really big windows and no curtains so we can just casually see into the kitchen, where a bunch of baby teenagers are playing D&D, with like 7 active players and 2 who are currently not in game making sandwiches in the kitchen. I notice that a lot of stuff in the kitchen is sort of vibrating or floating slightly (I can apparently zoom in with my eyes) and point it out to the Doctor who's like YUP and tries to scan with the sonic screwdriver but they seem to notice us?

so we dive into the bushes and watch them spread out in the garden. a couple of them stroll right past our bushes and with them is a sort of... small walking table. it seems to be just hips and robotic legs covered with a tablecloth, and moves sort of like those boston dynamics doggies, or like this thing:
    [​IMG]

and that is obviously the bad guy alien. bad guy alien senses us and directs the kids to look in our bushes, and I hold my breath and also wake up because of that (and because the cat was wheezing in my ear).

the whole thing was very short, but I'm pretty satisfied. been kinda River Song, I feel like I've been seeing 'my' season backwards, I started with running after the TARDIS whenever I saw it yelling at him to not leave me again, then been having adventures, now saw our 'first' meeting. also boston dynamics alien would be super cool. it mind controlled the kids and had telekinesis, what else do you want.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. PotteryWalrus

I dreamt I was trying to catch frogs in the grass on my front lawn at night. I wonder why frogs are such a common reoccurring theme in my dreams?

• Like x 2
  16. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

the musician Gotye was getting ready for an interview i heard about irl, this involved some sort of stop-motion rearranging of small floor tiles

Then there was a snippet of the "interview" where he said he was living in like, scarborough or some other part of the GTA

Then i broke the screen protector on my phone and had to mosaic it back together on my bedsheets except obviously this didnt work. But it was fine,amd then i explained to my mom that you dont need a car in Italy for vacation, as long as you rent a horse or donkey

• Like x 3
  17. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Giant pigs were mad at being put in bad conditions that flooded, so they became giant aquatic pigs eating people. They then turned into sharks- GIANT, APPARENTLY INDESTRUCTIBLE sharks- and continued eating people. Me and a couple of dudes. who were responsible for this because we'd earlier turned a pickup truck into a carnival truck and the pigs had been part of it, were going to try and poison them with a mashed-up mixture of a particular poisonous plant, which we were going to throw into the shark's mouth in an ice-cream tub on the basis that earlier the other giant shark had been killed by throwing an ice cream tub of baseball cards into its mouth.
    I woke up before I found out if actual poison was more efficacious than baseball cards

• Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I was in a mall with my parents, when I realized I, of course, didn't have any pants on, and my parents pointed it out to me. I got really angry at that, stripped completely naked and started hitting people until someone tackled me.
    Flash forward a few minutes:
    "Why the fuck did you even do that?"
    "Oh, uh, I was half naked in public and didn't remember why, so I assumed I was dreaming and decided to vent out some frustration"
    "... Yeah, that's fair"

• Like x 3
  19. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I have a recurring character in my dreams named Stevie the Stagehand. In dream, he's the guy who builds the sets. I have a few weird stories about him that I could share.

Recently I've been taking melatonin to help me keep a decent sleep schedule through a manic episode that's lasted most of a week now. It gives me the weirdest dreams I've ever had. One was turning into a night terror around 1 am, one of those creeping horror finally showing itself things. then Stevie yelled "Get out of here!" and kicked me in the back. I fell forward and woke up the way you do when you're trying to fall asleep and jerk awake.

• Witnessed x 3
  20. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I had a really weird dream where I was....Daine, I think, from the Tortall series? And I was trying to fight or do diplomacy or Something with a bunch of demi-god boars who were being underhanded and tried to poison me? And I managed to prove that to their leader, and...then things transitioned into being a theme park, and I was riding in a roller coaster that, I think, was also the Black Widow. And I had to fix up the theme park, and ended up rescuing a muppet from the roller coaster, which was slightly haunted and malevolent (but only slightly, and it only applied if you were sitting in the front car and...not me? I think?

...I have no idea wtf was going on, now, but it was apparently fascinating enough that I needed to keep sleeping even when my alarm started going off.

I really could've done without the bit where it segued into "okay, what combination of Molly and her kids would plausibly work as a pairing" and it was even more confusing than the rest? (Apparently the answer is Percy/Molly.) There at least wasn't any actual viewing of that, just...them eating brunch? And building stone patios or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice