Dreams thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I've had similar (but sadly far in-between) super aware dreams like that but mostly I just eat. Best example would be the one where I was in the middle of a warzone and found a plate of various cheeses and they tasted almost correct. I remember very vividly thinking "this dream cheese tastes almost lifelike. Cool dream."

• Winner x 1
  2. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I've mentioned on this forum, but one of the best dream foods I've had were cucumber and sour cream flavored muffins.

Normally I don't eat in dreams though, it's one of the last things on my mind. I mostly like exploring tbh. I want the dream worldbuilding and lore XD

• Like x 1
  3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i don't eat much in dreams. sometimes i drink alcohol that magically tastes good and gets me buzzed quickly. sometimes it's... weird:

4. bornofthesea670

American biscuit or cookie biscuit?

5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

american biscuit, lol

• Winner x 1
  6. bornofthesea670

What I thought, but you never know with dreams XD

7. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

...my favorite dreams are the ones with coherent storylines. Especially if it comes with the extra kick of not being Me in the dream. Like, having somebody else's context and memories instead of just being myself in situations slightly to the left? The Not Myself dreams don't happen very often, but they can be glorious when they do.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I had a dream last night where someone showed me that the green eggs of "and ham" fame were just blue eggs with lemon juice added. In the dream this seemed pretty mind-blowing.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. CarnelianCoyote

Kinda want to share this one. An older dream I wrote just after waking, didn't want to forget it. Also one of the most vivid examples I have of being Not Myself in a dream.

I wish I could write a longer story based on it, but writer's block has had me slain on everything but poetry for years. :/

---

Citadel

A castle built into stone rising out of the sea - towers growing from pinnacles of rock - inside a mishmash of architecture, from big roomy vaults with mosaics of ships to the tight, ladder-riddled space-efficiency of a ship's interior.

It is mine. I won it for myself, after being locked away and exiled to this world by my father, the Lord of Seas, one of the strongest of the Magecraft's ancient guild-kings. I failed my exams, because there were things I would not do - his child of ice was not so frozen in her heart as he had thought - and he could not abide a failure.

There are so many little worlds - rising out of the mists of time and imagination like a cloud of bubbles - linked by many slender threads of entry like a spider's web. Mine is only one. I think he had forgotten which one, else I would not have been allowed to keep my kingdom for so long.

My love is with me - another Magecraft exile - a student of Life and Bone - a breaker and a healer. He was my uncle's ward. He too flinched from his Final Exam, and paid the price - not gently. Who would have thought that he would find me? Left in another world without knowledge of mine - wandering among the threads until he came here?

But our time is almost up, I fear. One of my uncle's little expeditions came into my world seeking to find if it had anything worth their mining, and to take it and break it for their lord if it was unprotected. We dealt with them easily. But we exposed our location to our former lords along the way - a foolish error. Now they come for us - all the best of the Magecraft who cannot abide us inconveniencing them - Lords of Will and Water coming for the little upstarts who made good after denying their desires. For us to have our happily ever after, even in another world, would set such a poor example for other apprentices. (I imagine that - all the dissatisfied talent, everyone who can break away from the most abusive of their tests - wandering here to find us, becoming a world where Magic is it's own choice - and I smile.) But we are only two, and although we have tested ourselves and grown a little since we have come to the Outer Worlds, we still have nothing to the time and support of their powers. We will try - we must - a few slim threads, a half-dozen odd techniques they may not have heard of - may give us a foothold - we can't give in easily, now that we finally have a home to defend - but in the castle and the lands beyond, there are so many who did not choose this war, did not even know the Magecraft existed, did not understand the structure of the Inner Worlds - this threat should be ours alone, not theirs, if there were a way to make it so. And - high and green and raging and cold - I see a slow-rising wall on our horizon. The first real blow of this battle. The lords of water, against our little coast and citadel - the sea is coming.

• Like x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Fucking weird dream where I had to take dozens of candy apples out of a toilet and store them in my left ear, and then they were really hard to remove. I have no idea what this symbolises except maybe I've watched too many earwax removal ASMR vids.

• Informative x 2
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Dreamed I went into the lounge, which had a couple of elements of my parents' bedroom from our previous house (especially in how the deck and garden were laid out) and also inexplicably had a view over a pond, to find our dog herding some somewhat upset chickens onto a couch. I immediately was like, oh no I haven't checked on the chickens in a while their coop must be so messy do they have enough food and water how could I forget, and then I remembered.

We haven't had chickens for like a year.

...So whose chickens were these?!

The dream versions of my parents were equally clueless, and obviously the chickens couldn't give a useful answer, just upset clucking because there was a DOG that had herded them onto a COUCH and trying to walk outside through the window didn't work for some reason (the reason was glass).

We got the dog away from them and I picked one up (it was nice and soft and barely minded being picked up) and then I woke up. I think dream me was planning to go door to door asking people "Is this your chicken?"

• Winner x 2
  12. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I was being chased through narrow hallways. Something was wrong. The architecture was wrong. The geometry was wrong.
    This wasn't real.
    However, instead of thinking "maybe i'm dreaming", I came to the conclusion that I was in a Philip K Dick book. Was it a computer simulation? Drugs? Hypnosis?
    Either way, I was still being chased.

Also the entrance to my hotel room, which would have provided sanctuary, was through a mini-fridge. I woke up before I figured out how to squeeze past the milk jug.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

It's been three and a half years since Lupin my cat, my best friend died, and yet she still visits me in dreams.

Either the euthanasia didn't take and I've been neglecting her in favour of my two new/living kitties, or it did and she's visiting as a zombie/lichcat, just as sweet and friendly as she was in life.

Last night was a mix. She seemed elderly but healthy, but there was dirt in her fur and she smelled of the grave. She burrowed tight into my arms and refused to leave except to try to jump the roof between houses, and growled long and warning at Dad when he suggested taking her to the vet, spat at him when he tried to touch her, because we both knew he would only try to bring death to her once more.

It probably says something that I mourn my cat more deeply than my father, and I woke with new grief in my heart for her, missing her all over again.

• Witnessed x 5
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Having horrible vivid dreams this week and it sucks.

I kind of get that. I cry a lot more when pets die than when humans die, and I think it's because with a pet one feels like there's more one could have done to save them, maybe?

• Agree x 1
  15. PotteryWalrus

Had an intense dream about a local country road notorious for heavy/dangerous traffic. It's got distinctive fields on each side - one has a deep cleft in it with a stream at the bottom and a patch of conifer trees, surrounded by old-growth oak and beech woodland on the two non-road sides, and the other has a turn off whereby it's hemmed with a golf course on one side and more fields on the other, leading windingly into another larger wooded area.

I dreamt I lived in the cottage on the oak and stream side, and my best friend helped run a horse farm on the other. The clefted field was cursed? Somehow? And killed people who lingered too long in it, although livestock usually turned out fine. My bf - someone I don't know IRL, although she felt real enough I've probably met her at a party or something and forgotten - was presumed murdered by the field and stolen by the devil. The devil was a blond guy riding an old beat up ameican-style classic car, and after her horse was killed by a semi truck as they were crossing to get to the cursed field, she got in with him.

Her mentally disabled brother - I'm not sure what exactly he had, except that a nurse had literally dropped him on his head at birth and his skull had a severe dent, and he was in his late teens/early twenties with severe physical stims and severe speech impediment, tall and lanky with a resting concerned face - was suspected in her disappearance, but that I knew he'd never hurt anyone except for occasionally setting traps in the fields for extra tasty game and pest control.

It turned out he'd actually rescued her in a semi-comatose state and hidden her in one of the caves, feeding her his own blood as she woke enough to be hungry. The FBI guys who suspected him of murder also didn't believe in the paranormal, and tried to drag her out in a large white box as evidence in bright daylight since they thought she was dead.

The box slipped and fell down a small slope when they did, the lid came off, and she hissed and bolted for cover, diving into a bog and staying submerged in the mud.

There were also scenes in the oak wood, but they seem more disconnected now - a wolf eating a torn-off human arm with a friendship bracelet still wound around the wrist, and a kitsune woman going mad with grief and rage after her maid killed her samurai husband and their baby - they were connected somehow to the main story, but I can't recall how.

• Like x 3
  16. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

damn that's quite a story. feels like something that could be fleshed out

• Agree x 3
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'd read that!

• Agree x 1
  18. PotteryWalrus

I would give anything to hold onto the vivid memory and emotions involved with my dreams, to somehow choose to save them to long term memory so I could make novels out of them. I'd have a damn Pulitzer by now if I could XD

Unfortunately, I fell back to sleep after writing that and it might as well be someone else's story for all I know of it ^^;;;

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  19. bornofthesea670

I've gotten a few fun story ideas from dreams that are still in use.

• Winner x 1
  20. CarnelianCoyote

There was a man. A boy. A young man.

He had made a world and then forgotten.

Intricate, wonderful models on his computer. But he hadn't realized they were "real." That they were conscious.

They knew about him. He was a myth, but far from forgotten. The foolish but powerful scholar who would one day return, recharge the world and help them to explore the pillars of eternity.

Then he really did come in. He didn't realize it was *his* world at first. Didn't much like it either, said he'd had enough of fairytales. But there was an old man he met, who died while they were working together to build a safe train rail to the magical university. And then there were a number of disgruntled forest creatures who led him to a window, to make him see. And he saw himself in the foolish scholar myth, and saw his world spread out before him… and realized what he must do.

…There was another human in this world. Well. "In." Not fully entered and inhabiting, but watching through the outside of the code, poking fingers in, puppeteering abominations. There was a scene about this man, who didn't see the point of the world, thought it was an experiment whose time was ended, unraveling and rerouting parts of a path, to lead to an apocalyptic announcement, delivered by things with cyborg limbs and uncanny valley faces.

There was also a fiancee of the scholar-prophet back home. And somehow she and his mother could see the world was in danger and he with it, and started making new paths with fabric from her wedding dress…

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice