Dreams thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. albedo

albedo metasperg

I dreamed about grocery shopping. Am I a grownup yet?

• Like x 1
  2. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

..but the post hoc associations come from the same brain that the dream came from. :)

3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Doesn't necessarily mean they correlate. Also, you can make associative connections between anything, so you're super vulnerable to confirmation bias.
    I'm not really comfortable with trying to root out the origins of dreams until we've got better neurobiology on what the fuck they are.

4. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

The point of dream interpretation isn't being right. It's gaining insight. When you interpret a dream you are engaging in a similar sort of free association as you do when dreaming, but in a lucid manner. It was your dream. It's your ad hoc association. They both contain information about you. If you have an aha moment, then it's all good.

That said, since it was your dream, it's yours to handle as you will. Change part of it if you want. Change the ending. Continue the story farther on. Simply put it to bed and think on it no more. You can't do it wrong.

• Like x 1
  5. Wiwaxia

Quoth my dream, just now:
    The fuck, brain?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    • Like x 1
  6. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

I had a dream last night that I ran into Jim Gaffigan (wtf) at a used bookstore. However, he didn't have the tag Jim Gaffigan in my dream; the person I was talking to, my brain labeled as @Wiwaxia. No joke. And apparently I'd met this person before, at a book signing, but this person didn't remember me or the very specific thing I said to jog this person's memory of me. The person did encourage me that I'd get through this last year of school, but I left a little miffed, like, why didn't you remember me.

7. Wiwaxia

@pixels I am unduly happy to have (kinda) turned up in your dream. :D

8. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

9. Wiwaxia

I dunno that I've ever had a mirror in a dream, but I've definitely read in dreams before. (including when i didn't realize it was a dream)

I usually look for lichens and cracks in concrete to check if something's a dream (at least, when I remember to do so, which isn't often) because the resolution of my dreams doesn't usually go down that fine.

e. I mean I dunno if I was actually reading per se, but I was looking at word-squiggles and comprehending them, whether they were actually english words or whether my brain was just providing me with what they should say

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  10. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I can definitely read in dreams - I can make out the words just fine. It might have something to do with the way I see words in my head while I'm thinking/talking/listening/etc, but idk.

11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

12. strictly quadrilateral

@Kaylotta It's absolute hell when I run into a new word for the first time and my brain tries to spell it. It's great for very short term memory, though. If I feel like it, I can repeat everything that I've heard for the last few minutes pretty much down to the word.

13. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Bel Capricorn That is really cool. Mine is not so memory-specific like that. I can imagine that could be really, really useful!

In other news, sigh. I thought those of us of the reading-in-dreams variety were in the minority. Apparently there are enough of us who subscribe to the "freak out and dogpile on OP" method of Tumblr communication that the poor OP is hiding. (Though at least they edited the post rather than deleting it.)

14. strictly quadrilateral

@Kaylotta unfortunately, it tends to go something like "Hey, are you listening? What did I just say?" and i repeat it, and then realize I didn't bother to parse it and have already forgotten it all. But yeah, it gets me out of trouble sometimes.

And yeah, the dogpiling is really awful. I kind of wish people could take a step back and realize that only one (maybe two) people are needed to tell someone something like that.

• Like x 1
  15. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

... I had a dream maybe four days ago (so powerful that I still remember it now) that my parents were giving me a MacBook for graduation. They brought it down with them so they could actually give it to me on Saturday, after I graduated. Except my dad forgot the battery for it (which apparently was detachable, in my dream), and he had a tantrum in the hotel room, stomping around and yelling about how he'd ruined the surprise. However, that was the point where it was still supposed to be a surprise to me, so it was both ruined surprise-wise and ruined because it wouldn't work. And my dad was... well. Being my dad, but he hasn't had a meltdown like that in a long, long time.

I don't want this dream to affect my hopes for real life (because that's been something I've been hoping for for literally months), but since I can't forget it, it's likely it's stuck in there now. And I'm sad about it.

16. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

yet another dream where the main character is FtM which is now "common enough theme for me to be notable". It was a fairly interesting dream though! Took place during the great depression era and apparently this person was good enough at passing that he had a gf and everything and nobody knew (they were too moral to do the sex thing before marriage haha) but the surprising plot twist came when he was eventually outed and pretty much everyone was really supportive except for his father? Heck his girlfriend stayed with him and her family was supportive and everything.

Then there were transphobic assholes in the community who beat him up and they had a hard time convincing the community at large that he was assaulted by the good old boys and they needed to be punished even with the evidence. I guess my brain went "naaaah, don't feel like dreaming about this depressing nonsense any more" and the dream changed.

17. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Last night I had a dream that was started in media res and then flashed back to before the opening scene, eventually explaining the circumstances that led to the first scene. Dream me got bit of happy surprise when it got back to where the dream started, "oh, so that's what was happening." Dream me found nothing strange about viewing events in this fashion, as if this was how reality played out regularly, and not just narratives.

18. Totally David K

Totally David K So totally David K. Yup. David K, definitely me.

Oh my god. Buckle up. Do you know what time it is? It's Ghost Boobs time.
    "Ghost Boobs" is the name I give to one of my favorite remembered dreams of all time. I was just telling @wes scripserat about it the other night, so I'm probably just going to copy my telling of it. Possible tw: attempted groping of ghosts.

So, in the dream, I was sitting, looking out the window of my mom's house, when I noticed some dude standing in the driveway. Naturally, I was a bit concerned, so I asked my mom, "Mom, why is some guy standing in the driveway?" She replied, "There's no one out there," to which my response was an internal "well shit". I began to see more and more things that no one else could, until my hallucinations began to drive me a bit nuts. Eventually, because dream-me was kind of a jerk, I said, "Well fine, if I'm gonna hallucinate, I'll damn well enjoy it!" I then began to unabashedly fondle one of my hallucinations, a female who happened to resemble my crush at the time. Buzz off, Freud. That was when another hallucination kindly informed me that these were not, in fact, hallucinations, but GHOSTS. I was as surprised as I was ashamed, because, well, I had more or less assaulted a sentient creature. She was, however, incredibly forgiving, and actually started to spend more time around me. She became my ghost girlfriend, my ghoulfriend, if you will. But then, in a huge plot twist, it turned out she already had a boyfriend. His name was Sebastian, but he was also kinda Satan. So that's fun. Around the same time, some of my ghost friends started disappearing. I knew I would have to go down to Hell to get them back and maybe relinquish Sebastian's hold on my ghoulfriend (wow... side note, I think that might be pretty misogynistic. Way to go, subconscious from 2 years ago. Way to go). Hell turned out to be a huge Pac-Man maze which was also consumed by hellfire and flashing messages like "you should just give up" and "you are worthless" every few seconds. But I pressed on, navigating the surprisingly easy maze, until I reached the other side, where all my ghost friends were waiting for me. Sebastian had just kinda... given them back. Turns out he wasn't so much of a douche after all. But still, my ghoulfriend had to go back to him, and as she left on a steamship that disappeared into the foggy ether, we waved our sad goodbyes... and then she flashed me.

That's when I woke up, and I swear to this day, I was on the verge of tears missing her for like ten minutes before I remembered that none of that had actually happened.

Ghost boobs, man. Ghost boobs.

• Like x 3
  19. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I feel like I should post about this dream, because it's not often that I snap awake in a frothing rage and lie there for twenty minutes wishing I could go back to the dream so I could punch dream-people in the face.

I had gone to a meeting of a book club with my ex-boyfriend. For the setting of this book club, my brain chose the living room of my parents' house. There were about a dozen people there, none of whom I recognized.

One guy distinguished himself from the crowd by immediately picking on me - asking for my opinion and then immediately belittling it. Phrases like "if you think about it purely rationally..." in response to an emotional question and "I'm sure if you weren't always looking at this question through a feminist lens, you'd see..." came up a lot. He also called me "sweetheart". He was even wearing a fedora.

I was sitting there steaming when the topic of Terry Pratchett books came up. I have Lots Of Thoughts about Pratchett, so I launched in. Then, while this guy kept interrupting me and trying to tear down everything I said in the most head-pattingly condescending way, my ex would not keep his hands off me. He kept trying to put his arm around me, rub my shoulders, touch my hair, pull me closer to him. I had to keep stopping mid-sentence to swat him away, which of course only gave Fedora Guy more fuel every time I lost the thread of my argument.

I finally turned to the ex and demanded to know what the fuck. He told me he was HELPING me, because if he didn't show clearly that I was his property, Fedora Guy was going to think I was his. Then he put his hand back in my hair, twisting it so I couldn't pull away without pain. That was the point at which I woke up.

Argh. I am angry just typing that. I want to go back to that dream and burn it down.

20. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

i had a really messed up dream that mixed up some elements from a sad story i was writing in my head and reality in a bad way, and hoo boy, my heart is still heavy from it
    everything looked like the visualizations from my story and it was too real

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice