Dreams thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Had a back-in-high-school or possibly middle school dream that was actually kind of awesome instead of being horrible and frustrating. I had magical-girl-kinda-ish powers that I’d used to change my body into being completely physically female, and I could manifest energy wings in pretty much any shape I liked and swoops aroud with them. The other kids treated me like kind of a sugar spazz, but that’s largely because I was acting like kind of a sugar spaz, swooping along the hallways and wearing ALL PINK and giggling a lot, and when I mentioned to one of them that no actually ADHD, she and her friends were a lot more sympathetic and understanding after that and didn’t blame me for being giggly and annoying. (this is one way you can tell it was a dream). And then my pencil broke, and that was annoying, because do you know how hard it is to manifest a pencil sharpener out of magical-girl solid magic, you’ve got to get all the little fiddly bits exactly right or it won’t work, but then I looked in my pancil case and I had a pencil sharpener right there. And then there was a bus ride, and things went awfully and randomly wrong like they always do when I’m in a vehicle in a dream, but I was able to transform the random load of logs in the road into a random load of logs moving at very high speeds off the road (all my powers to affect existing things had to do with changing them somehow, this is a lot more powerful than it sounds when one of the things you can tweak is velocity and you don’t have to apply the same delta-v to every part of the object.) And then for some reason me and some also-magical-girls friends had to sneak through the Catholic church back in Mason while a mass was going on? I don’t remember why that part was a thing. And then I woke up, but wow, I want to be back in that dream and that is like a complete first for back-in-school dreams.

2. littlepinkbeast

So last night, and a few nights ago, I had… not exactly the same dream, but two different pieces of the same dream? Collegish sort of setting, lots of people I’d hang out with and do things with, and then, one or two at a time, they’d start to vanish. And eventually, sometimes, we’d find them staring at a thing they had enjoyed, completely motionless and held there by all these long spindly arms. And then we’d see people getting snatched by the arms and sucked in to sit hunched and still, just staring, at whatever they had been known for enjoying. And then I’d be running, alone and frantic, through the streets, as bookshelves and computers and things opened into portals to somewhere else and impossibly long and spindly arms shot out to try to grab me and catch me and hold me like everyone else.

The disturbing part is, I can’t tell if it’s a horror story about getting obsessed with things, or a horror story about never finding anything to enjoy and connect with.

3. littlepinkbeast

I had the best dream about a video game and now I’m really sad it doesn’t exist. Plot was basically this order of girls in really spiffy uniforms who were sacred priestess-mechanics of the magic trains that connected the world, rebelling against the people who wanted to use the trains for evil and corrupt their workings with evil chaos magic. In combat: basically FF5 with beautiful modern graphics, that sort of swappable-class turn-based RPG thing. Out of combat: Metroidvania action-puzzler.

4. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Last night I had a dream that @BPD anon and I were in Greece. And had apparently once gone to Italy on a Kintsugi school field trip?
    And then I kept constantly hauling her into candle stores. Sorry Beeps.
    (And thus my dreams' habit of hauling everyone I know even vaguely into weird situations continues.)

• Like x 2
  5. littlepinkbeast

So there was this dude who was a tree, or a tree that could make part of itself look like a dude, or a dude who had a long, long snaky vine kind of growing out of him… you know how dreams are, they can have more than one thing being true at the same time and it makes sense at the time. Looked kind of like a young Tom Waits, and the dream also had bits of narration from Tom Waits. Anyway, this tree-vine-dude would get girls and young women out alone and then strangle them with its long snaky vine and pull them down into the soil among its roots, like it was keeping them prisoner even after it killed them. The local townsfolk caught it once, and burned it, but I guess they didn’t get all the roots, because it came back eventually. And there was this girl, who’d been strangled by it a few times and been born again and again in that same little town, and every time the tree-guy caught her and strangled her and she came back, she lost a little more of her voice.

6. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

I dreamed that I was working for mcdonalds and suddenly one morning I woke up with a QR code shaved into the front of my hair. There was national debate over whether it was pretty or ugly and mcdonalds ended up making a policy that QR code hair was not allowed. My mom took the stance that it was ugly and I took the stance that it was pretty and we ended up citing internet comments back and forth at each other on the matter.

• Like x 2
  7. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I just had one of those nested waking-up dreams. Left me totally disoriented each time, especially as the layout of my apartment and the apartment building and the city outside kept changing. Woke up (for real) completely unable to remember how to get out of my room.

8. raydelblau

raydelblau the giant rat who makes all of the rules

my dream last night:

i talked a bunch of my friends into joining me on a road trip to ithaca, NY, so that we could hang out with jacob (my kismesis) and his new pet cat. after a day of stressful driving and lots of getting lost, we realize that jacob was driving the car all along. the man pranks me even in my sleep.

• Like x 2
  9. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

@KathyGaele I had a dream where I was reading a paper or something and stumbled across some species of organism named after you.
    It was notable for being really hard to kill, apparently.

• Like x 2
  10. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Fuck yeah :D That sounds awesome!

• Like x 1
  11. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Cool dreams I've had recently:

I dreamed I was a young man with a bad limp in his right leg who had been warned by a witch that his destiny was to offset a great evil. I was having a road trip with my friends [my real meatspace friends] and a strange Count Olaf-esque figure I referred to as my "uncle". Throughout the trip I felt vaguely unsettled and unhappy in a way I couldn't explain, but then I went into a strange, magical shop, all dark and weird, browsed some yarn and tried on some flower crowns and a circlet with lovingly rendered metal bees in it (an item I've decided I'll find a way to make for myself in meatspace). Payment was determined with magical scales: it was proportional to the weight of your spirit. I was about to go pay, and the strange mystical creature in the till found it strange that my spirit weighted so little. It said from the reading of the scale you would think I'd lost a limb. I explained that I did almost die in childbith and that I had a bad limp. Till creature went "aaaaahhh, that explains it". When I reached out with my money, though, my "uncle" clasped his hand on my shoulder and told me to hurry up. The creature was horrified, and at that moment I realized that man was the devil himself, having fiven me a limp to mark me as an equal and as a foe, and he was the one I must vanquish, and now that we were both aware of it, shit was finally going to get real. The till creature not only gave me my stuff for free, he also gave me some amulets and lots of money and told me to please get out and leave his shop alone. Unfortunately I woke up before shit could get real.

The other dream I had, me and all my friends were homeless drag queens struggling to survive because the Military Dictatorship had returned and it was prosecuting LGBT people and sending them to death camps. We basically just walked around the city together, protecting each other as we sought food and shelter and evaded the military police. Eventually we managed to break into an abandoned mansion and become squatters there. It was abandoned, but well-kept with warm hardwood floors. When we got inside, I just threw myself on the floor and started to shake with relief and happiness. We still had to send out search parties for food, and of course our conservative neighbors had to be appeased about our presence and we were still afraid the police would catch us, but being sheltered and surrounded by my lovely friends was already bliss.

• Like x 2
  12. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I had a dream a few nights ago where I was walking with a small child to a very tall building (but not quite skyscraper height). At the very top was a man standing on the edge, looking down. I understood that he was not going to jump, and that I should run. I didn't run. I walked into the building.

Loop. I'm walking up to the building again. Again, I see the man. This time I hesitate before going in, but the child pulls me along. We enter the building. I only get a little ways in before I'm grabbed by someone. I try to fight them -

Loop. I'm just inside the building and I turn to run. I leave the building -

Loop. I'm inside the building and grabbed by the people again. I break free and find their hideout and cause havoc. I should be running but I know it won't work. They tie me up and explain to me in very nice terms exactly why they need to sacrifice me. I'm not very happy with this. They start carrying me to the top of the building. I break free again. Somehow, my mom is in the building. I ask her to save me; she tells me that the purpose of the sacrifice is destruction, and to survive it I have to create. I ask her to elaborate; she tells me that she survived it because she was pregnant. I say fuck that, and try running again. I'm grabbed again, and the person who's captured me this time is a good friend of mine. I am REALLY not happy about this. They get me to the top of the building and wait for the right time, and then throw me off.

Cut. I wake up on the ground by the building. My traitorous friend is sitting sadly in a cafe nearby. I walk up to him and tell him I'm alive. He looks at me and says, no. You died when you hit the ground. I think, okay, well I'd better figure out what is going on with me, then.

Interlude of surreality.

Cut. I'm in a shack in the middle of nowhere with some pretty big but also really beat up guns. I've clearly been on the run for a while, and now I'm waiting for something here. I see a face at the door - the small child I'd been with earlier. I shoot. She's unharmed. She and the other child with her - though are they really children? I don't think they were every children - overpower me and prepare to kill me. I think, they've only come to kill what's already dead. Why not let them?

I wake up.

• Like x 2
  13. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Not a full description of a dream, just a weird thing related to one that just happened.

Years ago I had a dream that took place entirely in one building. I don't remember the plot of the dream beyond brief flashes, but I do remember the building's layout if I think about it hard enough.

Today I was looking up a thing, which naturally led to me clicking links and browsing wikis and getting thoroughly sidetracked. I ended up looking at sketches of Norse house layouts. One of the bigger ones is very nearly exact to the building in my dream. The materials used were different, but the layout is almost perfect. It's a little unsettling.

• Like x 2
  14. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i had a weird dream in which i apparently called myself "blinkdagger" on the internet 'cause my eye hurt
    (yes seriously)
    and it turns out a blink dagger is an item from a game i've never played and just... wtf
    how the hell did my mind come up with that?

• Like x 2
  15. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

Just had a dream where we built a third story onto our house, except our house was not in the same irl layout? And the wooden floor had very thin spaces between the planks so you could see the floor below. It was mostly an empty floor, lots of wooden closet doors and armoires, one area had a sewing machine that was just. . . Sewing clothes. I assumed it was my mom's because it was sewing mostly mom-like clothes (???). My brother and I were just kinda messing around and joking when we found the closet.
    It was oddly shaped, kinda short but really deep, with staggered shelving like steps; each step had a few different wigs on it, and I remember being super excited because some of them were homestuck-y. You couldn't walk in, it was kinda like a crawl space. There was a real full-size door in the back somehow. We crawled in and went through the door and everything promptly went to shit.
    It seemed to lead to a different, unfinished part of the house; the floor was kinda similar, but we couldn't see through it. The lighting was more fluorescent, and the walls were shoddily painted. We wandered around for a bit, seeing a bunch of other doors that actually led back to the main house. The setup itself was staggered too, kinda like how you see auditorium doors staggered from the hall outside. The halls themselves were. . .contradictory? They managed to be a huge open space and also corridors at the same time. We eventually found a door that did not lead to the main house.
    Behind that door was an unfinished stage, with frozen circus members and a ringmaster on it. The fluorescents were flickering here. There was a thin piece of plastic on the doorway. A short set of rickety seeming, obviously temporary steps descended from the door landing into a sort of orchestra pit.
    My reaction was "lol haha cool" and to whip out my phone to take a ton of pictures, including a panorama to get the *~*~full aesthetic~*~* and some zoomed in shots of the people on the stage. I never went farther in the room than the second or third step down.
    Then I woke up I think? Weird shit

16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

Also the other night I had a dream that included Dr. Manhattan, your favorite stereotypical personality-less name-less pretty female love interest, and a robotic Dr. Octopus who was actually Mystique in disguise. I dream-logic'd a new super power on her: tiny mouths on her thighs that would sing in really high unearthly tones. I remember being like "oh wow so beautiful...." And then my alarm went off and my first waking thought was "what the fuck"

We were in this weird giant cylinder, there was like. A thing. One of the floors was weird and could move and presumably was dangerous if it moved? Dr. Octopus/Mystique was like. In hiding a few flights beneath it. There was a huge spiral stair. Good shit.

• Like x 3
  17. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@rats that is quite the superpower

• Like x 1
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i just had the coolest dream. it was a musical, and it started with a businessman running, saying he was late for work, and he bumps in to a fountain planner who's headed to a fountain opening. they go into song, something about how grueling work is, blah blah. they go on and scenery changes then there's a ballpark hot dog guy, he's pretty young. they start thinking everything's a little weird because this guy is really blue in the face, but is walking and talking just fine. they all sing about how much they hate their particular jobs. they meet two more people, i forget what they were job wise, but their professions were weirder than ballpark hot dog salesman, and one had his head very noticeably not attached to his body all the way. it was somehow normal, and i don't mean dream normal, it was "nobody in the group notices anything amiss" normal.

suddenly the first businessman notices some of his compatriots are a little off, so to say, and they realize they're all dead. the fountain planner had fell in one and drowned while walking her dog at the park, the hot dog guy had choked on one while watching the game, neck guy had an accident with a chainsaw, fourth one was... something idk it had to do with a fashion runway? and they were all singing it. they all went through little flashback moments but it was like, the stage was drifting through backgrounds and props as they went so it wasn't drawn out for each person. it got more and more dramatic, singing getting louder, then the businessman came forward.

everyone was looking at him; waiting for his death story and he began, his eyes widening in realization as he softly sang "...i'm not dead". then he remembered he's been seeing these odd people complaining about very particular things since he was little, and there's a scene where he's clutching his head as dozens of people are shouting, asking how they died and complaining that he helped the others, why not them? and then they're gone, and he's headed back to work like nothing happened. it was almost like it was all a daydream as he headed to work except as he reached the door to the office building, a guy slinks out of the alleyway and heads toward him dressed as a greaser. he hesitates at the door for a second as this guy looks to be about to sing, but as soon as the greaser opens his mouth the businessman points and says "hit and run, now excuse me i'm about to be late" and dream fades to black.

• Like x 5
  19. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

@Deresto
    I feel like that needs to be a story or something. xP

• Like x 1
  20. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

I keep dreaming that I've moved back in to my childhood home. I loved that house, so every time I dream I've moved back I'm so happy my heart aches. Last time I dreamt that my mum was there, and I was saying to her 'I'm so happy I'm back. I keep dreaming this happens and then being heartbroken when I wake up and realise it wasn't real'. Then I woke up :(

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice