Escape From Homeworld: Planning/Gemsona stuff goes here

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by PotteryWalrus, Jan 6, 2016.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@Imoyram I am a huge derp and totally lost track of Hematite's original design, so I just spent two hours making two updated versions of Head and Wrist Gem :3

[​IMG]

They're not even remotely identical, but at least they look like the same kind of gem, right? ^^;;;

• Like x 1
  2. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

well, depending on how fast the RP moves I might have to wait until I'm done for the semester to join in

I say wait because I've been in some forum RPs where you miss out on when people are active and suddenly there is like 5 pages of new content that you missed out on when your character totally could have said or done something. Also I don't wanna derail your current plot lol.

(also ngl I am glad a lot of the posts here are short, because sometimes I just like writing short things with maybe a sentence of dialogue or a little introspection instead of multiple paragraphs of prose and people lost their patience with RPing with me because in my experience the style of forum RP is often "people writing paragraphs" but dang I do not want to fluff up my posts with useless information because that leads to purple prose.)

• Like x 1
  3. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

that last bit--my writing style is minimalism, honestly, and I've always hated stuff where it's like "it needs to be at least a paragraph!!" because like. do you really expect me to bang out a paragraph or more of useful information every post? uh, no.

4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Lol yes! My posts often end up long just because I end up with narrative bits...and also I really like writing longer bits. But I don't mind shorter bits, it gives the RP variety.

5. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

My posts usually have dialogue, body language, introspection, or action when it's relevant. Usually it's at least a couple of sentences, but sometimes it will be just one sentence! but if it's deeper introspection or emotional conflict I'll go into more detail and churn out a couple of paragraphs. I don't judge people for how they write, but writing things with what I consider irrelevant information is not my thing, and it's a little annoying when it's an expectation to write at least a paragraph when really sometimes that means one sentence that's useful and the rest is filler.

• Like x 4
  6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@liminal I 100% agree with this. and I'll cop to occasionally having more words than are useful.

• Like x 2
  7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i personally also find that you can actually transport a lot of pacing through how short or long posts are. so for action-y scenes i think shorter posts might help.

• Like x 2
  8. PotteryWalrus

I actually really like the pacing we have on this RP, atm. I know sometimes I dither about on posting or not, because I am a derp who basically needs to be fishslapped so he notices when people have actually replied, but I like that it all varies on the character and we all have different levels of postage. It adds something to the character's tone, I think :)

Sometimes I wish I could be less formal with my writing. It took me YEARS to learn how to spell and grammar properly, and I had a pretty harsh teacher so that for years again after that anything under that stupid-ass standard would make me fret hardcore, even in stuff like texting and emails :/ (sperginess + anxiety = 'no you're doing the wrong thing it's WRONG YOU'RE GONNA GET IN TROUBLE WHY'). This forum's been really good in helping me loosen up on that, so thankyou guys! :D

• Like x 3
  9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@lilacsofthedead if it's just Hematite and Gray (which I think is okay unless anyone has anything to add? Onyx's stopoff is the easy one with no drama), should we maybe plan/decide on a time where we can just bang it out?

• Like x 1
  10. PotteryWalrus

Yeah, that might work. I sort of volunteered Hematite without remembering that our timezones are super out of whack ^^;;; Buuuut I'm willing to stay up late tonight if you're around so maybe we can do it then?

11. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

just a heads up: I'm leaving today for a convention, in about half an hour, and I'm not sure there'll be internet, so I'm going to be gone today and tomorrow if there isn't.

• Like x 2
  12. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@lilacsofthedead I am actually away most of today (it's Good Friday so I'm working, and there's a family dinner), so don't stay up! :P What about tomorrow?

13. PotteryWalrus

Yup, that would work! I don't have any obligations on Easter Sunday (there is a family thing, but my mum has already made it clear that I don't have to come if I don't want) so I could stay up on Saturday, easy :)

14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Okie doke - what time zone are you actually in, and what time should we do this? I'll be up tomorrow morning and ready to go about 10 (central North America), but I'll have to leave for a bit somewhere in the middle of the day. I doubt this chunk of RP will take more than an hour, though, if we're both here and just gettin' her done.

15. PotteryWalrus

Since that looks to be about 2-3pm GMT (I'm in the UK) that should be perfect :)

16. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

awesome :D see you then!

17. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

hey @lilacsofthedead I'm a bit late but I'm ready when you are! :D

do we want to have any drama, minor or not? hm, maybe a convo about what the hell happened with Citrine and Beta Hematite? i dunno if Hematite wants to open up, but Gray's p level-headed... just an idea :)

18. PotteryWalrus

Yeah, that would be good. Sorry I'm super late as well, I haven't been well since yesterday and kind of passed out after lunch ^^;;; @Kaylotta, are you still around?

19. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

no worries! hope you feel better soon. i will have to leave for a bit soonish, probably for a couple hours, but then i'll be back for a while.

20. PotteryWalrus

Post with a bit of Hematite introspection :3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice