Explaining Brain Stuff

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Mala, May 10, 2015.

1. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

So lately I've been having problems with ADHD and executive dysfunction and struggling to explain it to my parents. Mostly I try to explain things like "I'm out of spoons" (I've been using "I'm out of energy) and have to explain no its not that Coke I drank, a sign that I need to go to bed earlier (I stay up late and sleep late because I'm more awake at night and able to focus), my room being messy (that's a sign of the problem not the cause), a lack of self discipline or something I just need to push through.

I'd like to find some resources I can link them to help them understand. Luka reblogged a comic about executive functions that explains some things about me in middle/high school. I used to have trouble turning in assignments but when my parents asked why the only answer I had was "I don't know". I got better at some of it in regards to school but a lot of it has transferred to adult things. But I can't find that comic at the source and I'd rather not link my parents to "Casual Acephobe Vastderp and the Abuser Brigade" and most other resources are about elementary/middle/high school and not college.

So does anyone here have anything?

2. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

3. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

They know about the ADHD. I did give my dad a summary of the spoon theory. His response was a "how do you get more spoons?" Right now I'm thinking the answer is a meds change since what I was on isn't working as well as it used to but in the meantime its gonna be rough.

4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Valid question, I suppose, and one that a lot of people struggle with. Usually the answer is rationing, which can be hard to explain to people who have plenty of spoons. A med change sounds like a good thing to explore. *hugs* if you would like - keep at it. If I see anything useful I will post it here. :)

5. Aya

Aya words words words

Sometimes the answer to "how do you get more spoons?" is "you don't" or "you wait for them to recharge like in every irritating stamina-based cell phone game." That can be really hard to grasp for people who are used to having all the spoons they want.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice