Fancy Teas, Coffees and Beverages

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Aviari, Aug 29, 2015.

1. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

That one’s good. It’s a very soft herbal, really good winter tea.

• Agree x 1
  2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Twinings' decaf green does me very well in that genre, and I love a good cup of Dragonfly White Tea (I tend to avoid fancier stuff because I'm very sensitive to caffiene, and shouldn't have it with medication - I love white tea so that makes me sad, because I've yet to find a decaf version I liked.)

I really like pukka lemon and ginger tea, as well as their three mint. My fav Celestial Seasonings will always be sleepytime extra because its the only relaxation blend I've noticed having any effect on me ^^;;;

• Like x 1
  3. leitstern

Mmmm. A good cup of Sleepytime. Maybe a placebo, so delicious and relaxing that it doesn’t matter.

• Agree x 1
  4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Twinings Salted Caramel green tea is great either hot or cold-brewed, and I love a cup of Tea India's cardamom chai, which is probably my go-to right now. The best decaf black tea I've come across is Rington's, but you're out of luck if there's not a van delivering near you. Taylor's of Harrogate have a really unusual sweet rhubarb which is very astringent - good for colds. T2 Tea do a fantastic loose leaf Sencha Peach. Teapigs used to make the best chilli tea but reformulated it to chilli chai, and it's not nearly the same, so I'm rather grumpily naming their winter spiced rooibos as my favourite - it's good with a slug of whisky in it on a cold morning. Tesco do 2 really good teas in their Finest range, a vanilla chai and a chocolate black tea, I can't separate them in terms of favour, they are both super tasty and warming.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Bigelow's ginger lemon is a nice herbal tea that I got to try during my vacation this year. (Yay for breakfast tea and afternoon tea service!)

6. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

• Witnessed x 7
  7. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Wow. That's . . . fairly major. And it sucks because of what they say about the rest of the company and it being good tea. I guess I'm going to . . . tweet at Adagio?

• Agree x 5
  8. leitstern

Oof. -_-

The important men tend to be the shitty ones, they're willing to do what it takes to get on top... just reminds you no big business can really be trusted. Ouch tho. As a long time tea fan.... ouch

• Agree x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

This might stray into nfsw territory, but has anyone else had experience with Damiana leaf tea? Someone recced me it recently for pain management, and I'm finding it surprisingly effective!

It's also recommended as an aphrodisiac, and while I can't say it's made me more horny in general, it's certainly improved certain dryness issues ^^;;;

• Informative x 1
  10. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@PotteryWalrus My boss used it because his painkiller tolerance was building up, but he said that he has to be careful with how much he drinks because otherwise it results in extremely vivid nightmares.

• Informative x 3
  11. PotteryWalrus

Yeah, I've been limiting myself to one cup a day so far, because I'd heard about the dream thing XD

12. Yorkshire Gold is overrated, apparently.

• Informative x 1
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I don't think their calculations on the caffeine content are accurate because caffeine is less soluble in cold water than hot, but this is simultaneously great and absolutely horrifying, and reminds me a lot of my own college experimentation (I just didn't think of doing it again after brewing it for the first time).
    Though I'm sure there are ways of improving it.

14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's too early in the morning for me to be doing stoichiometry in spreadsheets with questionable numbers off Google, but I think that mostly checks out, actually. A couple of different sources put the solubility of caffeine at 25C (which is, admittedly, still warmer than putting it in the fridge) somewhere in the neighborhood of 22g/L. 1.5c coffee is ~192 g, and the high side of caffeine content by weight is, according to a couple of sites I checked, somewhere in the vicinity of 2.2% for one species, and 1.4% for the other. So that's about 4.2 g caffeine in the beans used for 1 L if we assume they're using the high-caffeine ones, so even doing it three times, that's only 12.6 g, which is still well within solubility parameters, and the 24-hour soak time is probably long enough to let most of it diffuse out.

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  15. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Oh hey, my husband does the exact same thing. (He's purchased BBotE before, although the postage fees made it more economical to purchase glassware to brew his own.) He puts the stuff into 100ml test tubes (because you might as well go with the mad scientist aesthetic) and one of those is a serving, which he adds to a cup of water or uses to flavour his nutritional sludge. I tried to incorporate it into a mug of Cadbury's drinking chocolate and it harmonized pretty well.

• Informative x 1
  16. palindromordnilap

Oh, update on this: some of the stuff I can find claims solubility of caffeine is less than 1g/L at fridge temperatures, which would probably affect the final result. That being said, cold-brewing coffee at room temperature is absolutely fine too.
    (I kinda wonder what would happen if you then refrigerated it, if the concentration was above the saturation point at fridge temperature. Would caffeine crystallize out?)

17. palindromordnilap

Correction, it was less than 1g/100mL, which is obviously 10g/L, or the same in mg/mL. Meaning you can fit up to 300mg of caffeine in fridge temperature coffee.
    Also, I did some extra calculations, because I'm absolutely planning to do this, and it turns out OP is approximately right on the caffeine content. My thing wasn't very precise either, but if you put 160mg of coffee per liter of water, you get about 200mg of caffeine per ounce (30 milliliters).

18. Lavender and Rose Italian sodas are nice, tastes like flowers. It’s too bad more places don’t have those flavors.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  19. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I think it might be time to admit that I may, possibly, just maybe, have a a slight fancy-tea-and-coffee problem.

IMG_20180929_161459.jpg
    *mumbles* that's not even all the Twinings stuff, let alone other brands, and my coffee has a whole separate cupboard.

• Winner x 8
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Man that is nothing compared to my roommate.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice