Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

IIRC, they have spongey, eyeless faces (possibly also noseless, but don’t quote me on that) with a great round sucking mouth in the middle, and the main reason it’s not common knowledge is dementors are not in the habit of showing their faces to anything they’re not about to eat.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I think the description was "similar to a drowned corpse, with the eyes sewn shut", but I'm not 100% sure that's not me recalling something from a fic.

• Informative x 1
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I think that would be fic. I distinctly remember the eyes being described as covered in scabby skin, notsewn shut. (Smol Cody found dementors quite scary)

• Informative x 2
  4. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

General gripe: please can the Homestuck fandom stop the whole thing where they call quadrants automatically unhealthy and unnatural and probably inspired by Lord English? Some of us like alien relationship systems.

More specific gripe: lately I saw someone say that karkat’s shipping diagram means that trolls aren’t actually binormative with no incest taboo. But John had just told Karkat that he was not a homosexual a few pesterlogs ago and karkat refers to THE BIZARRE HUMAN ANATHEMA OF INCEST in that very pesterlog. He was trying to work human norms even though he found them ridiculous! That was the point!

( maybe it was tongue-in-cheek? I am not always good at picking that up. the people in the notes seemed to agree sincerely though)

• Agree x 20
  5. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Shorter MoR: Actually, Voldemort was right.

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That one person in every fandom who’s like. Gorgeous art, but bad or just inaccurate characterization, and only ships all the bland canon het ships for some reason

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 3
  7. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

UGHHHHHH

(minor black panther spoilers behind the link and the cut)

tldr; "superhero movies keep killing off queer (coded) woman look it happened like three whole times"
    Dead potentially queer ladies:
    1. Thor Ragnarok, where Valkyrie reaches out to the other valkyrie who gets killed by Hela saving her and it looks like they're more than friends
    2. Wonder Woman, where Antiope dies and Menalippe is all D:
    3. Black Panther, where that one dora milaje gets killed and Okoye is all >:O
    Okay, Thor Ragnarok, that's a legit point, especially since this is a case where the actress specifically said she was playing it like it was her lover getting killed. I mean, complaining about the one queer lady getting killed kind of brushes past the queer lady who's still one of the main protagonists, and keeping her lover alive would have screwed up her whole backstory and taken away a big piece of her reason for where she is when the movie starts and why she's there, but yes, that is a dead queer lady.

Wonder Woman, Menalippe is Antiope's sister.

Black Panther, Okoye is explicitly romantically involved with someone else (a guy).

The article specifically mentions both of these things and then continues whining like nothing else happened. Okoye's in a relationship, but she's really upset that this unnamed woman died, HMMM?? I'm not going to say any of these ladies are totally, absolutely, definitely straight, but oh my god, what an irritating, weak-ass foundation to build an entire article on. I was interested in actual thoughtful discussions about queer representation and I find less than 33% of a valid point. And then something something complaining about how these movies could have been queerer. Yeah, if that's what you wanted to talk about in the first place you should have done that, because you've successfully undermined any trust I had that you would provide decent support for any of your talking points, but okay.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Witnessed x 12
  8. Rehsepay

Rehsepay Teacup Dog

"If you ship something it must be because you think it's a healthy relationship, so shipping unhealthy relationships is bad and wrong!"

Bitch let me watch my trainwreck in peace

• Agree x 16
  9. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I... what? What? I was reading like 'huh' and then got to the point where the author admits that as it stands Okoye in the movie is EXPLICITLY AND TEXTUALLY INVOLVED WITH A MAN but like, maybe this dead warrior was actually her lover too, so it's definitely Yet Another Dead Lesbian.

And see, that would make sense, if the Dora Milaje weren't also an EXPICITLY, TEXTUALLY HIGHLY TRAINED MILITARY SQUAD who've got deep, emotional bonds to each other and the metaphysical concept of service to their nation. Because that's the thing we see a lot in real life Highly Trained Military Special Forces: bonds that, while platonic, often run deeper than the romantic and familial bonds that these people have, because being part of that group means being part of a whole and losing a member of that group is devestating. The whole point of highly trained squads is that they shouldn't be losing any members, even though that's a real possibility, so yes! The loss is going to feel massive!

Especially when that's like, fucking, literally your usurper king who your lover helped rise to power, the usurper king that you thought had killed the man you'd been working your whole life to protect and defend, that usurper king who's already shit on every one of your important traditions--he kills! A woman! Who was born and raised to serve and protect her king! He kills her! She's as close to you as a sister, closer even, and he explicitly betrays that bond between a king and his beloved subject and kills her! Without blinking! In front of you!

Yeah no shit Okoye's going to stop and grieve for a couple seconds. No shit she's going to be utterly horrified that one of the women that she's likely trained and seen grow as a person from the moment she entered the Dora Milaje just died in front of her while she was helpless to stop it. I can't imagine why she might be upset by that.

And! The thing is! This is actually one of those occasions where I think that, if this author wants to bring this up as a talking point, we need to discuss the entire genre of Oscar Bait War Movies and how they kill off queer characters. Because we've seen dude soldiers with these kinds of deep, intimate relationships on screen for decades now--and yes, people read queerness into those bonds, and I think that's a valid interpretation, but it falters before it gets to the point where we can call it a proper variant of Bury Your Gays.

GOD I HATE IT BECAUSE THERE'S VALID POINTS LATER ON ABOUT QUEER REP IN MODERN SUPERHERO MOVIES but like you said! She shoots herself in the foot right at the beginning, and her later support for the reading (wrt to Ayo and Okoye's potential deleted scene flirtation) still doesn't hold water for the Bury Your Gays tropes she's trying to claim Black Panther plays into, because as far as I can tell, Ayo's actress isn't the one who dies in that scene!

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  10. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I like this person's implication here, that Lucasfilms just keeps hiring writers that fundamentally misrepresent their own story. Kylo isn't meant to be sympathetic, why do these writers keep hinting that he is???

for context, an excerpt of Last Shot, a Han Solo book set at least partially at a time when Ben was two years old, dropped a bit back, and it had scenes of Han and Ben being like cute. The line this person is referring to is Han mentioning that Ben has troubles sleeping. Specifically, he says he just got the kid to sleep for the first time in what feels like days. And I'm guessing the shot at the TLJ novel is about the leaked line where Snoke outright says "i did see that kiddo had a lot of potential as a child and definitely one hundred percent have been working on getting him under my thumb since he was little through untoward means," which is definitely untrue to the actual real Star Wars canon, when will Lucasfilms stop hiring people who fundamentally misunderstand the story???

• Witnessed x 12
    • Winner x 1
  11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

So do they think that this works like fanfiction and no one has to use an editor if they don't want one...

• Like x 7
  12. Rehsepay

Rehsepay Teacup Dog

This is more of a metagripe but I feel like fandom communities are fracturing into the bad old days of a thousand forums, groups and private discords, thanks to tumblr being an unremitting trash fire with no viable alternative. Are people on twitter now? I don't even know.

At least there's AO3.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 3
  13. KarrinBlue

yeah i've started splitting into discords just to be able to enjoy a thing without having random people complain about it. at least now when there's complaints i know they're coming from reasonable people! mostly. there are a few shared spaces but...

• Agree x 3
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

If it was just splitting into forums like this one or going back to dreamwidth, I’d be fine with that. But because of adhd I just can’t keep up in group chat communities with that many participants, and I know a lot of people are similar. It kind of sucks to see the main mode of fandom interaction shifting into a place I can’t go.

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 3
  15. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

That’s pretty much what tumblr is to me. Ngl it would be great for me personally if fandom moved to a different format.

16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

While I do "like" using tumblr I guess because it's nice and undefined and I can just do whatever, I will say that I am growing very fond of fandom specific discords and subreddits. I'm already big on fandom specific threads on forums or entirely fandom specific boards. But fandom specific discords allow me to do things like have a sharp focus and also move at lightspeed. Reddit meanwhile is...I guess just the place to go now if I want something more like a forum.

Tumblr is for shouting into the void. Reddit is for actually wanting to speak with people.

17. KarrinBlue

For me the appeal of tumblr is mostly the opportunity to archive stuff? And have all my stuff neatly tagged for use, and be able to look back through someone else's tags. Discord is not great for that, admittedly. But the ability to actually talk with people makes it way easier to discuss stuff than tumblr.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I do like tagging stuff to be able to go through but for me most of that is like religious crap so I can go and find the 18 million ocean aesthetic pics I reblogged because Manannán feels. It offers the capacity to have your blog have like a sort of weird shrine feel to like one portion of it. It is also pleasant when I can just search for particular tags in someone's blog, yeah. While you can pin things in discord shit gets cluttered fast and reddit is not designed to be the world's greatest archive but to show you a constant stream of the most upvoted shit.

• Like x 1
  19. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

reddit is okay as a forum but the downside is that sometimes you have to interact with redditors

• Witnessed x 1
  20. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

How do you guys find these Discords? :O

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice