Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I know the WD discord is linked on the reddit, and it’s not the only one—it’s fairly common for fandom discord servers to be attached to reddit in some way. There’s a few ship specific servers I know of via tumblr for various fandoms (Overwatch and Voltron mostly).

And you can search for a server in the Discord app itself I think? I’ve never done it, but sometimes I accidentally click the new server button and it says that’s an option.

• Informative x 2
  2. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Oh my god I didn't know that! That's so cool!

3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I find them via reddit usually.

Also I've honestly not had trouble with redditors, personally? Most of the game reddits I go to seem rather chill and pleasant and lack the bullshit from the kind of users that have given reddit the reputation it has with many. I guess the Soulsborne reddits can be pretty volatile, but that's more a Soulsborne community thing in general.

God if anything goes to shit though it's fucking r/speedrunning during GDQs.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Tonight on my dash: "Headcanoning your least favorite characters as the only cishet is gay culture"

(On the one hand, this is like the third time I've complained about this trend here and I should probably stop. On the other hand, it is terrible and I hate it and why will it not go away.)

• Witnessed x 20
  5. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

god agreed though

• Agree x 12
  6. TheLittlestHero

TheLittlestHero Striving for courage

Sooo... say you've got two characters who are friendly towards each other in canon. Nothing canon-confirmed as romantic, but maybe some debatable ship tease. So a lot of people ship them! And some people don't, and that's fine.
    What gets under my skin, is when the people that don't ship them decide that the two characters must absolutely hate each other. It's like they're erasing the canonical friendship in an attempt to prevent anyone interpreting their writing as shippy, I guess?

Meh. I know people are allowed their own character interpretations, which is why I'm complaining vaguely about it here, rather than arguing with the person on Tumblr who decided that my OTP, who were canonically complimenting each other even in their hour of greatest conflict, actually get along "the worst out of the whole group, they're always fighting and being condescending towards each other."

It makes me kinda sad, though, 'cause I would totally be cool with gen!fic, if more people would write gen where they're actually friends like they were in canon :(

• Witnessed x 14
    • Agree x 2
  7. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Hi various fandoms, pls stop shitting on creators for Doing It Wrong.
    pls n thx
    ♥G

• Agree x 14
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

[​IMG]
    (I'M NOT STILL BITTER ABOUT THE LAUREN ZUKE THING, NOPE, DEFINITELY NOT BITTER AT FUCKING ALL, NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST)

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 3
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

while i never got in the thick of it, bullying a creator off a show is some bullshit.

• Agree x 5
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Yeah, I generally kind of hate that stuff too. With the caveat that that doesn't mean creators are above appropriate criticism! But yeah, harrassment and name-calling and all the other shit is just heinous.

• Agree x 4
  11. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Just honestly I want to enjoy fandom without constant negatives. How do block bummers without disengaging from fandom entirely? Hard. Hard to do.

• Agree x 8
  12. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

things i'm fucking pissed about people referring to temple as:

- incel

- 4channer

• Witnessed x 6
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Ugh, are they really? That’s fucking stupid.

• Witnessed x 3
  14. unknownanonymous

yep, they are and i fucking hate it

particularly in this political situation and after what happened in my own fucking country

if temple was an incel or a 4channer, i wouldn't like him

• Witnessed x 1
  15. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

... all i know about temple is from osmosis through you, but arent they in a relationship...?

16. unknownanonymous

nope, your osmosis is wrong, sorry.

temple's canon arc has no romance at all. his relationship with biff is slashy and i ship it but i don't even headcanon that they were together in canon.

and though, "they" isn't temple's canon pronoun, i'm ridiculously pleased about you using it for him anyway. :P 'cause i'm nonbinary and he's my fave.

17. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

kk "_"
    osmosis is spotty, gotcha.

• Like x 1
  18. unknownanonymous

it's okay. :D i liked that osmosis. :D

19. ZeroEsper

One of my favorite fanfic writers, who got me back into one of my first fandoms, deleted their work and seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. and I'm both worried about them and super, super, SUPER upset that the fic is gone. Like I wanna cry. I removed the bookmark from my a03 since it doesn't go anywhere anymore and I'm 100% sadness.

• Witnessed x 12
  20. ZeroEsper

Also if anyone in the YGO fandom knows Lasae_abyss can you tell them thank you for posting their works even though they're gone now?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice