Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

thanks! :D:D:D

that's really reassuring, and i appreciate you saying it!

• Like x 2
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

no problem. like, rvb is the bedrock on which RT got big at all. they’re not gonna intentionally fuck it up! (though they might do so by accident, just like any other show.)

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. unknownanonymous

:D:D:D

and yeah, them accidentally doing it is entirely possible, heh. but i don't think they have quite yet.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

If you're loving it but some of the fandom is freaking out about the company trying to kill their own product, that sounds like either inevitable change in the story/storytelling over time that doesn't fit everyone's tastes, or something really dramatic happened recently in the plot and fans are unsettled. (I've definitely noticed in comics fandoms that when things get tense in the story, the fandom tends to explode a little in very pessimistic ways.)

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. unknownanonymous

i think it's both, honestly.

the showrunner for red vs. blue changed - rvb, like doctor who, goes through showrunner changes - in season 15 and most of the fandom really disliked s15 (and wash getting shot in the throat in that season got some of the fandom mad enough to send nicolosi death threats and suicide baiting) and most of the fandom dislikes s16, the season currently airing too.

and both these seasons have really shook up red vs. blue's paradigm in different ways.

and s15 introduced the possibility of one of the most popular rvb slash pairings becoming canon, and now fans are claiming it's queerbaiting - even though i don't think there's been enough time to tell if it's an slowburn romance arc or just queerbaiting yet. like, yeah, rvb has been going on for sixteen seasons and these characters have had a slashy dynamic the whole time but what the new showrunner is doing with their dynamic - and what makes the fandom think it is queerbaiting - is new enough to the show, i think, that the timer on "is it queerbaiting?" should start at season 15, not season 1.

and rvb's romance has always been subtle and understated and lowkey, i think. like, no one ever says "i love you" on the show and no one kisses anyone and people's romantic feelings for each other are shown through their actions, not through romance cliches.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  6. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

@unknownanonymous
    Been a long time since I was into rvb, who is it (the pairing)?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Grif/Simmons, I’m pretty sure. Their relationship did get some focus last season.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. unknownanonymous

yep, it's grif/simmons.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

i like locus as a character but "when will locus return from the war*?" is getting fucking annoying!

he'll come back whenever nicolosi wants him to come back, and in the meantime, i just wish everyone would give this "locus! come back!" stuff a rest. it's really repetitive and i'm really annoyed.

there's nothing actually wrong with it, other than it being like a broken record, but it annoys me anyway.

* meme, btw, if anyone is confused by the fact that there is war in rvb.

• Witnessed x 3
  10. unknownanonymous

tfw i see just a ship tag on ao3 and am like, "damn, that's sure my NOTP"

i have nothing against any of my notps, i just personally dislike them, but it is sure annoying to see them.

• Agree x 3
  11. rje

rje here comes the sun

Biggest fandom gripe of the fkin century, people being shitty enough regarding what happened on critrole to actually make Matt apologize to people that say they *hate him* now...oh, my god.

• Witnessed x 6
  12. rje

rje here comes the sun

And now I see somebody in the tags saying Matt ABUSED TALIESIN BC OF WHAT HAPPENED
    How fucking... What kind of person could you be to claim someone YOU DON'T KNOW abused THIER friend of *many years* just because you don't like what happened in a fucking game THEY played, and treating TALIESIN like an infant without his own agency and I am
    Livid.
    Wow I'm actually fucking livid at this, I'm going to have to put this phone down and stop looking for beautiful art and fics and funny memes in this tag bc this person is such a fucking....I hope they're a troll. Pls be a troll.
    Gdit fandom I just wanted one nice day..... Guess I'm off to do something else and cool off!!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Witnessed x 7
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Do. Do they. Not understand how dice work.

Seriously, hasn't everyone in the CritRole group had characters die at some point? And it's DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS. There's all sorts of resurrection spells and whatnot! Even if nobody in the party can cast them, they could build a whole plot around bringing him back if they wanted, or an NPC could res him for Mysterious Reasons of Their Own. And even if they leave Molly dead, he can just make another character.

• Agree x 10
  14. LadyNighteyes

WAIT. WAIT. I FIGURED IT OUT. I KNOW HOW THEY THINK DND WORKS.
    0046_03.gif

• Winner x 9
    • Agree x 6
    • Informative x 2
  15. rje

rje here comes the sun

I'm starting to think they legit thought the game was scripted
    (....they probably don't but they sure are acting like it was a purposeful choice and Matt made Taliesin make the choices he did. Maybe the Golden Snitch really DOES have mystical powers, wooooo... *rolls eyes*)
    Although, on the other hand, some people keep trying to claim the event was a
    bury your gays moment
    and I'm just like .............. I ....... don't think that applies to a fucking game of improve theater based on chance.

And yes, they have! They actually had to have Pike resurrected in the early rounds of the game before they played on camera, and yea you're right, they might still be able to save him, so people are really jumping the gun here.

The thing that enrages me the most is anyone who says that (the 'it was abusive' thing) has not paid attention to how much Matt cares about his friends AND their characters! He was fucking crying on Talks Machina and was even comforting Taliesin more than once when he got upset talking about things, like, how can you even watch this cast for even a little bit and not see how much they all intensely care about one another? It's fucking offensive to claim otherwise. Like, you can't call yourself a fan and dare say what Matt did was abuse! Not only does their game not work that way, MATT doesn't work that way.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Witnessed x 9
  16. LadyNighteyes

Also, it's. Even putting aside that it came down to bad decisions on the player side and unlucky dice rolls,
    it's a lot less BYG when you're talking about one major bisexual character dying in a story that has had multiple major bisexual characters who do not have a statistically higher death rate than anyone else.

• Agree x 5
  17. kleric

kleric Member

Honestly, I know how bad fandom can get feeling they own the entire thing (see: a good chunk of Steven Universe fandom), but at the end, it's a game they play with their own group who just happen to be kind enough to share it with us. They're wonderful and it's odd to me that people have decided to lash out at Matt and Tal. It could have been any other character, all depending on how the rolls went and who happened to be nearby and who happened to bother Lorenzo the most. I was also initially very very upset, because favourite character and all that, but it would have never occurred that I should blame anything other than the luck of die rolls for it.

• Agree x 3
  18. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Like my friend recently put out a draw of all the Alternia zodiac trolls, just her headcanons n such
    and like a lot of her hcs are fat HS characters cause she just wants to
    and a majority response has been p good

but its frustrating/annoying as fuck when assholes are like LOL WHY ARE THEY SO FAT or laugh like HURR HURR LOL RIP X CHARACTER THEYRE GOING TO DIE CAUSE THEY SO FAT

I told her those fools arent worth her time but it can be disheartening to get those comments cause theyre rude and stupid comments
    honestly, whats so unbelievable about a fat person
    I know its stigma haha its just annoying bullcrap

• Witnessed x 16
    • Agree x 2
  19. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

Does anyone else get kinda weirdly anxious about seeing the "x fandom was a mistake" or "x is the new superwholock" kind of posts? Because there's been a lot of them going around the musical theatre fandom as of late and I'm feeling very :/ about it. Like, there's very real issues with certain members of the community, but I don't think the solution is that the community shouldn't exist.

• Agree x 12
    • Witnessed x 4
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Honestly, for all the trials that come with a small fandom, the overwhelming relief that I don't have to see a hundred snide posts about how my fandom is The Worst That Ever Was is... really nice. Those posts fuckin suck.

• Agree x 13
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice