Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Congratulations!! That’s huge! Boundaries are such a hard thing. There are guidelines, but no one can tell you exactly where they should be. I guess that’s sort of the point, but it sure makes it difficult.

Glad I could provide potentially useful information! I... really need to get back to my DW myself. I have like two posts and they’re both administrative placeholders. But the format has such potential. I really loved livejournal until it became a hostile fan environment. It’s definitely not gonna be right for everyone, but there are some things it does very well.

• Like x 1
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

honestly i am loving dreamwidth. i never used either livejournal or dreamwidth much myself (too young) but now that i’m on dreamwidth it’s like... it encourages me to actually post my own original content/thoughts/journalling, and in return i feel like i’m getting WAY more actual interaction with other people than i ever did on tumblr, even though i’m mutuals with only 17 ppl on DW versus like having 400-500 followers (with a decent # of mutuals) on tumblr

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

headcanoning a character as ace because "I don’t think [he] is able to ever have sincere sex ever again because he was raped so often" is... not a good look.

• Agree x 13
    • Witnessed x 5
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

That phrasing is extremely :yikes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Agree x 14
  5. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

YEAH!!! YEAH!! that's probably honestly my biggest problem with it like. I'm not really invested in the fandom in question, so I could give less of a shit if the people wanna headcanon the character as ace, but,,,, not,,,, like that,,,,

• Agree x 4
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Maybe there are people who are ace due to trauma. Brains do all kinds of things with trauma. I’m not against the possibility altogether.

But making amount of rape the deciding factor seems very Hmmmmm to me. That really seems to be feeding into both the idea that ace people are broken, and that rape breaks a person sexually.

Ope, there goes agency.

We’re affected by our experiences. We may be changed by them. But we’re not ruined by them. And different does not mean broken.

• Agree x 7
  7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I looked back at the post to make sure I wasn't just being uncharitable, because I could give less of a shit about the headcanon and I'm all for people headcanoning characters as ace as a result of trauma (even if I personally go for the opposite), but no luck, Scoob.

upload_2019-1-7_14-56-38.png

like, that is literally their only reason. because he was raped. and I just... I don't like all of the implications that come with that, especially given the character. I don't like the implications that being abused as a child makes you unable to have "sincere" (whatever that means) sex ever, I don't like the implications that asexuality is a direct result of rape, I don't like the implications of any of it and it makes me feel so dirty and gross.

• Witnessed x 10
    • Agree x 2
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The speculation around Marvus Xoloto's sign is giving me a massive gripe with either the fandom or WP, depending on whether it's revealed it really is the sign they portrayed him with. Context; his original Troll Call card showed him wearing a hat with a Caprist sign on it (purple/Prospit/Time), but the little picture of his sign in the corner of the card was covered over, and then the card was taken down and reposted depicting him without the hat, with a disclaimer calling the character a liar. The reworked Troll Call release listed Caprist as his sign, and the fandom all went "oh well, guess it really was his sign after all!" If it is, then WP just pointlessly riled up the fanbase over a thing which has literally no effect at all, and my gripe is with either them for doing it or the fandom for not realising that it's a stupid thing to do.

9. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, if it actually does turn out to be Caprist it'll be both the writers for wasting our time and energy on pointlessness and the fans for not realising it's stupid to waste our time on pointlessness. If it's not, then it'll be just the fans I'm griping at. I was particularly annoyed that dahniwitchoflight is insistent that it must really be Caprist just on the writer's words when they already claimed to be lying before, but I guess her expertise is in picking out personality patterns, not in how to tell a good story (not meaning that to be mean, she IS very good at what she does).

This, FYI, is why I'm convinced Marvus isn't really a purpleblood. If he was, then the only effect wearing a different sign would have is changing one line in his character design, because we the viewers know that the signs signify stuff about the personality of the wearer but the trolls themselves don't seem to.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I'm deeply enjoying this fanfic but the author keeps switching verb tenses mid-paragraph and that is Not Okay.

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 3
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

"You call this a temporal disturbance? It's not a patch on the ones we will have been used to be going to get in my day." - Terry Pratchett

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 1
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Thing which reminds me an awful lot of Gamzee Makara's retcon treatment:
    [​IMG]

• Witnessed x 3
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Idk if this counts but i was watching some cooking videos and someone in the comments was like "i hardcore ship (male host)/(female host)" and i was glad to see someone point out that thats Not Cool bc theyre real people, but there were other people who were like "oh if you have a problem with this then youre stuffy/no fun/etc"

Like....no, dont fuckening ship irl real people right in the youtube comments on their video?? Even if someone else is the one checking the comments, have some restraint to not treat real people like fictional characters

• Agree x 11
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Geez, at least ship them somewhere other than their own channel!

• Agree x 6
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The Homestuck fandom's insistence that gender must not socially matter to trolls, when the trolls themselves state over and over that it does.

• Agree x 4
  17. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

but it shouldn't, and the fact that it does is one of hussie's greatest mistakes

• Agree x 5
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I wish he’d given them blue and orange gender instead of basically just the human kinds

• Agree x 5
  19. Birdy

Birdy so long

yeah they do demonstrably have human style genders

but the fact that they do represents a huge failure of imagination, and I’m not going to knock anyone in the fandom for going “actually that’s dumb, here are all my fanworks where it doesn’t matter to them”

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 1
  20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

A Post: This character is underrated, and really good actually, and here's why!
    Me: Oh boy! You're super right! I love seeing posts about underrated characters and get psyched when they're appreciated on my dash!
    The Same Post: NOT THAT YOU EVER CONSIDERED THAT, NOW DID YOU, OTHER CHARACTER FANS? YOU'RE ALL JUST SHALLOW BITCHES WHO'VE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT HOW GOOD THIS CHARACTER ACTUALLY IS, YOU HORRIBLE FREAKS
    Me: Why are you like this???

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice