Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

ODAZAI IS NOT PEDOPHILA WHAT THE FUCK
    THAT IS
    OH MY GOD
    also like it is a good ship okay
    I am multishipper trash and ship everyone/everyone basically
    no one's characterization is good and I am sad
    let them be trash!!!!

2. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

YEAH!!! I KNOW!!! AND IM ?!?!?!?! AT SOME OF THE SHIT PEOPLE ARE USING TO SAY ITS PEDOPHILIC OR WORSE FAMILIAL LIKE "OH WELL ODA'S A TEACHER IN GAKUEN AU" YOU MEAN A STUDENT TEACHER AND
    sighs

but also god same i love so many ships ;;; i really only have one notp for personal reasons and the fandom kinda ruined skk for me for the most part but!! everyone is so good!! and every dazai ship is automatically god tier dont @/ me

but god yeah like... im convinced half the ppl writing fic just,,, didnt watch the show or read the manga. thats the only explanation for why their takes on these characters is so consistently awful

• Agree x 1
  3. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I once saw someone say, dead serious, that oda wouldn't date dazai because "he loves kids and wouldn't do something that awful to one"
    all my wtfs
    I can't even with that
    I don't understand why anyone would come to this show for fluffy nice relationships? there are none!!!!!

4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Irritated that Jeritza being CF exclusive has led to more bitching about how evil Edelgard is. Also irritated how even a post that starts off saying that it is not about defending or criticizing the character still has the fucking discourse going on in it. And it's a very good post too about how accurate a portrayal of C-PTSD she is.

like fuck can you people not for five fucking minutes

• Witnessed x 6
  5. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

wheres the reaction that accurately conveys "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

6. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

FOR REAL the fluffiest relationships would be... atsukyou, but we cant ship that because kyouka's 14 and.... yeah thats it. dazatsu and odazai would be close seconds but they're not perfect by virtue of involving dazai, our local manipulative suicide maniac

7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

also @/aon this is why i dont engage with the 3h fandom because of the constant villainizing of edelgard. seen one too many "she's basically a genocidal fascist!!!!" to want to bother

8. Aondeug

It sucks shit and makes places like Edeleth themed discords some of the only places where one can talk about the character openly without having to risk this shit.

• Witnessed x 2
  9. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

upload_2019-11-12_13-6-43.png

[fart noises]

• Witnessed x 12
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

The cropping is pure comedy gold though. In this essay I will

• Agree x 9
  11. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

yall think i was gonna subject myself to that torture? of course not so you get a shoddy crop job of the discord preview

• Winner x 5
  12. Ana Nimus

Ana Nimus Well-Known Member

What was said: "Jester is more than her crushes you guys!"
    The fandom (no exaggeration): crushES plural! beaujester confirmed!!

its still reducing a female character to her romantic relationships even if its gay

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 3
  13. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Haha, yeah, that's some shit ain't it. Poor Laura though, that one came from the heart.

14. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

me, bitching about BSD fandom again? its more likely than you think

fandom: omg if you stan mori you're bad and an abuse apologist!! don't you know he's an ABUSER!!!
    also fandom: if you do not stan kouyou, who has done nothing wrong in her life ever, you are literal garbage.
    canon kouyou: is possessive of a little girl to the point of attempting to kill her friend in order to take her back to the mafia. gaslights her in the process and attempts to convince her that she is a murderer forever and can never be redeemed.

me:

[​IMG]

• Witnessed x 8
  15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm pretty sure people have complained about this before, but I am So Tired of people calling every fictional oppressive government "fascist." Fascism is a very specific thing that is not the same as "authoritarian," or even "authoritarian and imperialist." Do you see the Diamond Authority or whatever preaching that the ultimate virtue is heroism and heroism is defined as violence committed against the Other and thus every member of the society is taught to expect and look forward to fighting the invaders in defense of the glorious empire, and anyone reluctant to do that is treated with contempt? No? Then they're authoritarian, not fascist.

Not that there's, like, a shortage of actual fictional fascists (or things that crib so much imagery from Triumph of the Will that they're basically fash-coded even though their ideology is never discussed, hello there Star Wars), but please. Words mean things.

• Agree x 15
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. Aondeug

As a Three Houses fan I feel this so fucking hard.

• Witnessed x 8
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

People hating on ships for reasons which are obviously not true, which isn't limited to the Tumblrite Who Cried Pedo crowd. I have complicated issues with Davekat but it's nonsensical to argue that they have "nothing in common", which I've seen people do. They have plenty in common, which is partially why I personally was never a fan, because I like pairs which contrast, but there's a lot there to build a bond over. It's arguable they have the most traits in common among the various troll/kid pairs. It reads like the hater in question is just picking generic complaints they've seen people apply to other ships and slapping them on, which is unfair.

• Agree x 3
  18. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I snorted.

But god I feel that so hard lmao. I don't ship the like... main ship in my fandom (as much as I used to. Sometimes I'm in the mood, yknow?) but whenever people insult it and say "but they just hate and want to kill each other!!! all you shippers are toxic and weird for shipping enemies!!" i'm just like... what? like yeah they dislike each other but they WERE former partners, work VERY well together, and clearly have some affection towards each other just by the way they interact when they work together. but sure, they JUST hate each other and want each other dead, as if that's not the basis for one of the most popular shipping tropes anyway.

• Agree x 5
  19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Thirded.

Not sure if this counts, but like...it’s not as common as it once was, but there was a period of time where a lot of people insisted Pearl and Rose weren’t actually involved and that Rose had no interest in Pearl—I think it’s stopped now that canon has made it extremely explicit that yes, they were a couple, but for ages I saw people insist that Pearl’s feelings for Rose were totally unrequited, even after Rebecca said in an interview that they weren’t?

Actually, thinking about it, I think the TVTropes pages for SU still have a bunch of bullshit along those lines...:/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's been a long time since I've spent any significant amount of time on TVtropes, but that sounds like exactly the sort of bad take it tended to cultivate the propagation of back when I was one of the guilty parties.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice