Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

i just saw an argument on tumblr about whether josh is suicidally depressed and neku gave him a reason to live by showing genuine friendship or if Josh was filled with nihilistic ennui and Neku gave him a reason to believe that even the most self involved person could change and act selflessly and it is the biggest por què no los dos I have ever felt

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

this is more a fandom in general gripe but I hate how writers are so underappreciated unless they're the same 2-3 BNFs who write for the same 2 ships with hundreds to thousands of fics more than every other ship and how the only way to get any validation outside of that is make yourself Twitter famous but Twitter is a cesspool that runs actively counter to my preferred communication style and UGH. I JUST WANT A /LITTLE BIT/ OF RECOGNITION.

I wish DW was still "in" and that my fandom was on it. I'd be great at it tbh

• Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 3
  3. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

It'd be really nice to be able to talk about Edelgard positively with people who I don't already explicitly know like the character. Like that'd be fucking lovely. Hearing shit to the tune of 'oh you're one of those' isn't fucking great.

• Witnessed x 9
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I accidentally fell down a rabbit hole of somebody's Fate/ meta tag the other day and seeing actually good "who would win in a fight" meta reminded me how annoyed I get that so much of that sort of discussion is so bad when "who would win" can actually be a ton of fun when you treat it as more than just "who has the most firepower if both characters are standing in an empty open field in front of each other."

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  5. LadyNighteyes

(With Fate/ fandom this usually takes the form of "lol Gilgamesh beats everyone because he can just use Ea" like Gil doesn't get his ass beaten into the ground in every single route of the original VN by three different people and spend half of Zero refusing to do anything because he's deeply offended that people might touch his stuff, but you get a lot of the same stuff in lots of shonen and superhero fandoms. So many attempts to assign flatly tiered power levels when they don't make any sense.)

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to that meta?

7. LadyNighteyes

I was deep in someone's Fate tag and closed the window days ago, but the specific post I was thinking of was postulating situations in which Ryougi Shiki could kill Berserker Heracles without getting splatted like a bug. (They settled on "she teams up with Asterios.")

• Informative x 2
  8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

speaking of fate, I've never seen another fandom so willing to throw other ships under the bus for their own pet problematic ships
    it's weird

• Witnessed x 2
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The rewritten versions of some early SCPs suck, there, I said it, plus a bunch of drama on the site has apparently resulted in some good ones being pulled when the authors flounced and the new series are less scary and more "how postmodern can we get".

• Witnessed x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

It is still mind-boggling to me that Fate/Grand Order antis not only exist, but stan a cloud of murderous ghost babies shaped like a prepubescent child in a thong while calling people sick freaks for shipping Karna and Arjuna.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

SERIOUSLY
    it's so hypocritical
    the entire game is Problematic as hell, WHY on earth are these people interested in it?
    you'd think all the anatomically improbable fanservice would have turned them off it at the very least

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. LadyNighteyes

Yeah, it's like the Devilman Crybaby antis. If you can't stand the fandom producing this content conveniently tagged for ease of avoidance, how on earth did you survive canon shoving it in front of your eyeballs with no warning?

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. Aondeug

Any form of that 'you're not a real fan if you don't do this thing' horseshit. Be it knowing all the facts or writing fanfic or whatever in the hell. Cut that horseshit out. It isn't cute coming from dudes in comic book stores being shitty to me and it's not any cuter coming from you just because you write fucking slashfic.

• Agree x 8
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

I don't even care abt reylo that much but reylo hate posts are so strange
    Its kinda idk equating reylo ship existence with ppl who don't understand media but? Shipping is just like, ppl having fun whether it be through canon indications or absolute crack
    Its so weird

• Agree x 11
  15. Aondeug

My favorites are the ones that claim they had no chemistry when TLJ teased at that shit super fucking hard. I hadn't been on the bandwagon seriously until TLJ. After that though it became clear to me that this was likely something that the writers intended. If there's anyone who can't read it certainly isn't me. I can spot a romance at a thousand yards.

• Agree x 2
  16. LadyNighteyes

I super do not ship it and I've still always been deeply baffled by the anti-Reylos who huffily insist that anyone who does is interrogating the text from the wrong perspective and has no ability to comprehend what's on the screen. Like, the relationship between these two characters was always going to be important in some form, and anytime you have an important relationship between characters, somebody will go "what if they kissed, though."

• Agree x 11
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I'm not super attached to ships, but I'd ship that as much as anything. I thought it was really interesting. I usually think it's really interesting when a story has a male character go more or less, "She can see my weakness! I will make exactly one act of self sacrifice and she will see we are meant to be together!" And she goes, "What the fuck are you on?"

• Like x 6
  18. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Fair disclosure I do ship it but

it's pretty fuckin canon

• Agree x 3
  19. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

[​IMG]
    This canon. I sorta fled screaming from the Star Wars fandom a while back cause it was stressing me the hell out, but i do feel a certain vicious satisfaction in this.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  20. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

I don't go here at all and know nothing about star wars beyond swishy swish light sword battles but HELL YEAH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice