Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I've found this mostly happens regarding the Various Ladies
    because as we all know WLW Cannot Be Wrong.
    Ever.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Ana Nimus

Ana Nimus Well-Known Member

tma fandom tends to forget that daisy is a violent cop supported by the system and basira covers for her bc its a popular ship among the antis. which like, im glad to not have discourse about how if you ship daisira you support police violence or how daisy is irredeemable. but also antis, your inconsistencies

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

...I hate to tell you this, but I have actually seen that discourse (or discourse closely akin to that, anyway.)

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

ah, "i am going to delete my femme daisy headcanon fic because it was very wrong of me to even think to write a fic wherein a cop finds refuge post-being-a-cop in a queer identity"

• Witnessed x 4
  5. Ana Nimus

Ana Nimus Well-Known Member

oh im sure it exists but it's not a common take even among the antis like it would be in other fandoms.

6. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

The inability to accept the possibility of redemption unless a character starts our sufficiently sympathetic is... sure a some thing.

Also,off-TMA topic, but this is giving me big sympathy vibrations over my ongoing frustration that in a fandom full of genuine heartfelt explorations of morality and redemption for the Decepticon cast, the Wreckers seem to get wholesale condemned for existing as Autobots with impure and amoral methods (even while the fandom talks up the broader Autobot coalition as being "just as bad" or worse than your average Decepticon)
    It is especially, over-the-top frustrating where it intersects with fandom belief that rape is just evil sex, and un-good people are incapable of grasping the concept of consent. I like noncon but all Wrecker noncon is the worst kind of lazy noncon that just makes them rapists for the sake of it while erasing their entire personality in the process.

• Witnessed x 9
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

This is incredibly petty, but I am. Really starting to hate how universal calling any and all characters some variant of stupid/idiot/dumb as a term of endearment has become. Those are not endearing words to me, and the sentiment they convey is also usually the exact opposite of what I like about the character. I like reading about characters who are intelligent and competent and when they're clueless or oblivious about a particular subject this is in marked and ironic contrast to their usual ability to keep their head on straight, and it is increasingly becoming a thing that any character who does anything clueless, oblivious, mistaken, reckless, or badly-thought-out in any capacity gets labeled stupid in a way that's meant to be endearing and all the memes are about how dumb they are. And it's incredibly alienating to me, because I usually do not see this character as dumb, I would typically like them a whole lot less if I did, and this stuff keeps overshadowing any real engagement with the character traits and interpretations I actually enjoy.

• Witnessed x 15
    • Agree x 5
  8. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I finally finished the silver snow route of fe3h today and immediately ran off to ao3 looking for Rhea/byleth dead dove.

there wasn’t any.

this pairing has so much potential terribleness and i found nothing.

• Witnessed x 6
  9. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

i feel like a dickhead for how wary Beau stans make me. I love Beau a lot, she's a super interesting character, and I understand why wlw fans are super protective of her and stuff, but man, I just. There ends up being a lot of negativity towards other characters and cast members when she comes up, especially on twitter, and i don't have the energy for that.

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I really, really, really hate the various takes on Homestuck that consist of "quadrants don't real, Mother Grub artificial, trolls supposed to get married and have babies through their own personal torsos". I don't think the word "colonisation" fits, but it gives me the same vibe of "look at these poor inferior people who are too stupid to know they should do things exactly like we do", and besides that it's fucking boring.

• Agree x 5
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I mean, what's the point of aliens that aren't, well, alien?

• Agree x 5
  12. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

That's my favorite thing about the tentabulge fanon, tbh. It's very alien, in an excellently genderfucked sort of way.

• Agree x 10
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

it's why I don't like a lot of Transformers smut, because the most common thing is to give them like. giant bronzed human genitals with maybe some glowy lights on there :P wireplay and data transfer and stuff should be the Thing imo...

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 2
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I am now picturing an actual car with a big metal dick welded on.

• Useful x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Agree x 5
  16. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

I saw a TMA zine popped up and shared it with my friend who loves to participate, but found out that the zine has a specific age range that doesn't include them cause they're older than it, and my friend is pretty bummed out about it. Now, the admin is self stated as a minor and whatever people can have their own rules but
    It speaks to like, the divide of generations in fandom that seems to be happening
    Had a discussion with my friend about this, about how like this is a new turn in fandom for them (they aren't really part of any circles that discuss antis) and that it's just really escalated over the years.

• Witnessed x 8
  17. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

"Writers are invite only"

I get why this is a thing, but it does honestly feel like nearly all 3H zines I find are like this with their apps. I'd like to participate in zines but I'm not even allowed to apply most of the time. I have similar issues with exchanges or competitions. It just kind of often feels like I'm not allowed to participate in the like fun group stuff of fandom. And saying 'Just find ones that actually allow what you do' really isn't a help a lot of the time. Because like you look and you quickly run through the list of possibilities or, worse, don't find anything at all. Like Yuletide was interesting, but it's really unwelcoming to mediums that aren't basic prose fic. Meanwhile a poem only exchange I found was dead.

I just kind of keep writing what I want to write anyway and I'm really happy that there are people who like what I write and what not. But I do kind of get sad about just not being able to participate in most of the fandom social events because my skillset is either limited to people who will be invited or because said skillset is outright banned.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Witnessed x 8
    • Agree x 2
  18. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

I'm not a big event-participating person, but I know folks who are in zines a lot, and from what they've told me I get the sense that a ton of zones are a form of social consolidation rather than real "community" events. While previously Big Name Fans rose out of the communities often by being massive contributors or forum owners/admins, decentralised non-communal sites need another way to establish a hierarchy of whose opinions matter -- and that's how you get invite-only zines run by people who probably don't even know what a BNF is, but know that having prestige in fandom is the same as having power.

Zines as displays of communal unity also doesn't really match up with the reality of working on them -- many people only taking part because for them, participating in zines and taking commissions is kinda their job. They're essentially pressured into participation with an implicit threat of being dropped off the whitelist, which could legitimately threaten their personal finances.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Like I said I get it. I'm just kind of depressed I never get to do shit as a poet. I just kind of want to be sad about a thing.

• Witnessed x 4
  20. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I'm putting this under a cut because this is unsolicited advice:

If you want to do a fan event that welcomes poetry, you might be interested in the Unconventional Fanworks Exchange? It's a fandom exchange for everything but standard art and prose, and you can sign up to only offer and receive poetry, if you want. It's already near reveals at the moment, so it's too late to sign up, but you could make treats if you want to, and it seems pretty likely to run next year.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice