Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That is very useful, yes, and has cheered me a good deal. I'll try and sign up for it next year.

2. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

This may be a bit 'Discord Gripes' and/or getting some nonsense off my chest, but... Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fans who are ardent nihilists and quietly and/or openly disdain the first season and its morals in particular, considering Fate =/= Alicia at best a plothole and/or arguing Precia was wrong only in details.
    Relatedly, fics/meta that suggest Precia could have plausibly succeeded in her Al-Hazared plan.

Honestly it probably started with Game Theory. Or Gears of Destiny blatantly ignoring the second half of Chrono's speech.

• Agree x 3
  3. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

In fairness to Game Theory, it's at least 70% a vehicle for the authors to have fun with their alt worldbuilding, and I can't begrudge that, and at least (I think) it also treated the Al Hazard plan as suicidal and Fate and Alicia as separate people

But, yeah, the show is pretty clear that they're different people from the start, and even if cloning was perfect, Alicia still died. And Precia had lost the plot so hard that the moment clone-Alicia didn't completely match up with the eternally seven years old and full of adoration version in Precia's head - ie, the moment she started to grow up - it would not have ended well.

4. Aondeug

fate and alicia being two separate people is one of the best parts of it nanoha though ;-;

• Agree x 2
  5. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

[​IMG]
    Check out this incredible hot take.

It's shitty in general to be all "only str8s ship this" just cause you're inevitably gonna be stepping on someone's toes, but I'd like you to note that Beau and Yasha are canonical lesbians who have expressed attraction to each other at varying points, and Mollymauk (the "mauk" bit of "widowmauk") is a canonically bisexual genderfluid person. The "wido" of that ship is the "gast" of "shadowgast", and he has only ever explicitly expressed attraction to women, and the dude who plays him has never been shy about making his characters explicitly bisexual if that's what he's going for. Like, I'm just so baffled by the fact that only one of the six characters in "beaujes/shadowgast/fjorclay" is canonically LGBT+, while three out of the four "beauyasha/widomauk" are explicitly queer.

(not to say that people have to find "canonical lesbian/canonical lesbian" naturally more compelling than any other dynamic. Like, Beau and Jester have great chemistry, and Beau is canonically harboring a crush on Jes (who may or may not be straight, but so far has only expressed interest in men), and that's absolutely gonna resonate with people!! I just wish those people weren't so fucking quick to put down other fans who don't share their exact perspectives on character dynamics.)

• Witnessed x 10
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't critrole but I feel that so hard

• Agree x 4
  7. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

It is so absolutely condescending? They don't wanna say "you like the popular, obvious think b/c it's popular, nyeh!" so they essentialise it to feel superior.

Like I get being frustrated if the thing you prefer is less popular and lot wanting to feel like you're doing something wrong, but come the fuck on. There ain't enough straight people in fandom to begin with to make a statement like that, and even if there was, straight people liking and relating to queer characters is Good, Actually.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Agree x 10
  8. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Oh, no, Beauyasha is decidedly less popular than those other ships. Widomauk has been annoyingly popular before, but I can't imagine it's still on top, given
    Molly has been dead since episode 26. They're on 101 now.
    . I feel like Fjorclay folks have ample cause to be annoyed at other ships, but if I were them, I'd be super annoyed at Shadowgast, which gained pretty explosive popularity relatively quickly, while Fjorclay has a following, but it doesn't seem quite so massive or devoted? 342 works for Fjorclay on Ao3 (Fjorclay being a pairing between two player characters who have been interacting for 70 odd episodes
    and Fjord was saved from his terrible warlock patron by Clay (a cleric) and his deity. They got like some real ass shit connecting them, yunno? Some serious character arc entanglement.
    vs 511 for Shadowgast, a ship between a PC and a NPC who has appeared in 16 total episodes. Not that A03 fic stats are any real indicator of anything, but. I'd be annoyed.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Informative x 4
    • Witnessed x 2
  9. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Oh wow, it's even better, it's not even essentialising with any kind of purpose, just doing it to feel superior and more ~connected~ to your gay identity. Cool cool cool.

• Agree x 5
  10. Aondeug

Smash fans, competitive and casual, just need to accept that there are multiple ways of playing these fucking games and leave one another alone. People aren't 'playing the game wrong' because they turned off all the times and don't want to play with you. I'm honestly more irritated with the casual side of things, but that may be because I hear their complaints about the other side more often. Just play your game with all the items on and on the stages you want to and leave the people who want to wavedash and edgeguard alone. God.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 3
  11. Aondeug

Related to that and because I've been reminded of it...I wish the FGC and the Smash communities could stop fighting. I get why they do and a lot of it is like difference in values and manners. Also language. Like Smash and Melee players don't have 'casuals' they have 'friendlies'. The concept of casuals and friendlies is the same, but the wording is different and that's enough for people to go 'fucking smash players amirite'. The Smash side of things can also be assholes to people in the FGC. Though I'm more familiar with how Smash fans and, in particular, Melee players are treated like the scum of the fucking earth in the FGC and those who are fans of fighting games. And it's like...Really. Do we have to do this shit. Jesus christ we're all beating each other up with cartoon people in video games. We're just doing it in a different ways and that's a good thing. There should be fighting games to appeal to all kinds of players.

I like fighting games and I like the culture around them a lot. I like training. I like getting hype over matches. I like talking with people and asking questions. I like that so much of it is merit based. But I really don't care for this constant fucking war with another kind of fighting game.

• Witnessed x 2
  12. Aondeug

Like I don't mind being called a scrub who needs to get good, because I am in fact a scrub who needs to get good and if I'm bitching I could be asking for help, researching, or getting my ass in the lab. You know. Working on not being a scrub. But I do mind people going 'lol smash is just a party game it takes no skill' when I know I can't fucking wavedash and know that like the people bitching couldn't wavedash at the levels needed for high level Melee play out the gate either. Like if you think it's so easy dude then why don't you fucking beat Hungrybox? If it's so easy surely it will take you like 10 minutes of learning Fox to beat the top player in that game?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Witnessed x 2
  13. anthers

anthers sleepy

"The shame and dishonor welling inside his anus" is the worst way to describe a creampie EVER

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 4
  14. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Oh thats fucking hilarious omg

• Agree x 8
  15. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

bro that's some 2010 sex rp forum shit right there

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
  16. Aondeug

honestly it just makes me think of sarazanmai. like yeah that's a normal thing to be welling up inside there in this setting. better pull it out because that's just what kappa do.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Homestuck/Hiveswap analysts claiming that Diemen (the character who's roughly three heads tall) must really be an adult because we saw him at the drug party in Lanque's route, despite having, you know, read Homestuck and seen Gamzee.

• Witnessed x 1
  18. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

...did they just miss the whole thing where there's no adults on alternia?

• Agree x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The fandom consensus is that the age of majority on Alternia must be higher than eighteen so the ones who have sexual content in their routes (Lanque, Marvus, and Diemen) can be of age. I don't personally think they are, though. Sixteen-seventeen is old enough to behave like Lanque does, and as for Marvus he's pretty obviously affecting people's perception of him already so I suspect he's passing for older than he is. Diemen is not only proportioned like a toddler but his behaviour is childlike too, and the whole thing with him is that it's supposed to be awful that he's in the situations he is.

20. sooper serket

sooper serket New Member

'this character is short and immature, so he MUST be a child!!!'

upload_2020-7-30_12-7-43.png

^probably has more to do with it than just 'is doing drugs'

upload_2020-7-30_12-11-17.png

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice