Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Well then they're shit out of luck, like....my dude. Please have a vague idea of WHAT you wanna pay moneyfor???

• Agree x 2
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh, they told me they have ideas. They just won't tell me them until I tell them what I would and wouldn't be okay with writing, which... a lot of what I'm comfortable with is highly context-dependent, and given that "what I would and wouldn't be okay with writing" encompasses approximately everything that could ever be written about, it's not a helpful question! I have already shown them stuff I've written so they should have some idea what I can do, but still.

• Witnessed x 2
  3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

they might be looking for a list of hard nos, in which case telling them it´s context dependent might help get things unsnarled?

• Agree x 4
  4. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Incest but

I kinda think its a fucking snooze that there arent many incest ships in succession. Incest squicks me out even but! I think it would make so much more sense if fans were into it. Succession has fucked up shit in it and the roy family have grown up in abuse and are extremely crass and constantly speak in sexualized language toward each other and everyone around them. Its not that far of a leap. Im just annoyed and whatever.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  5. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

I've just gotten into Succession and it genuinely surprises me there aren't

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Someone was offended by a "pygmy" tribe being in Redwall and I had to explain to them that the pygmy shrew is the actual name of the species.

• Witnessed x 2
  7. Nobody's Home

Hrgh we were talking about a succession zine in this suck session server I'm in (and also help moderate but I'm not friends with the server creator) but now someone wants to connect me with other ppl who are running a succession december event but

Those succession december event ppl are strictly no incest allowed and like I think thats dumb so I stopped following them on tumblr and mostly stopped interacting with them.

like power to them I guess but I just don't wanna deal with that.

And I'm like, what do I even do :weary:

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
  8. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Witnessed. I always feel deeply uncomfortable in strictly-no-incest-allowed fandom spaces.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  9. Nobody's Home

Its not a big part of it but people habitually bring up incest and how they dont ship it in the succession server and at this point why bring it up??? People barely ship it in succession, so I don't get the point in keeping mentioning that you don't ship it. Just don't even bring up the topic. It's annoying

Edited to add words

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

every time I see that happen I feel more and more tempted to just say "well I do" and nothing else

just to see how people react

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Agree x 4
  11. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Yeah that's the mood whenever someone starts loudly going on about how they don't ship the weird freaky nasty stuff like. Nobody assumed you did. Nobody was talking about that. You brought it up. You're the one playing power games here.

I definitely feel like "stop talking about incest, you're the only one who wants to talk about it" should shut that shit down right quick.

• Agree x 12
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

While I don't expect for a minute that C. S. Lewis's work would stand up to modern social justice standards, one particular complaint I saw someone make about it (think it was Ana Mardoll?) annoys the crap out of me. Apparently it's offensive that the Narnians have a discussion about choosing the strongest and most imposing of their army to go confront the Telmarines, because toxic masculinity or something. Er, they're in a war against the Telmarines at the time, the Telmarines are a lot more powerful than the Narnians, and if they let themselves look weak, they'll be massacred. I think what the Telmarines think of them is kind of important here, and the Telmarines are the bad guys!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Agree x 1
  13. Charlie

It's so strange to me that Succession - which basically begs for incestuous interpretations of certain relationships in the fan sphere - has very few people who ship it so, while Encanto - which you know, more family friendly - has tons of incest art.

I guess what I mean is Succession made me go 'man people don't even go for it when it's baited anymore' but then Encanto proved me wrong and showed me there's still a thriving community for that kind of content. I wonder why...

• Agree x 3
  14. Nobody's Home

If I get annoyed some more I might be moved to make some Roycest content out of spite. However I finally just left the server for my own mood maintenance
    We will see if I see any more in the wild :weary:

• Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I wonder if the taboo thrill is part of it. There's no sense of feeling like you're getting away with something the writers wouldn't approve of when they clearly would, and that's definitely a factor in things I've written/shipped.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  16. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

I think Chell is right. Also, when incest is heavily baited a) it becomes more obvious, and thus is less interesting to explore and b) people are a lot more loud in their disapproval of the thing, so it's already a hassle to get involved.

(What I don't get is when a work has zero Incest Yay in it and there's Still a massive, dedicated anti-incest brigade. Like, what are these people seeing that I'm missing. What subtext are they projecting their outrage on?)

• Agree x 2
  17. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I've seen examples of heavy incest shipping in fanbases where the incest angle is very obvious. But in those cases it's shit like...Kencyrath where the main ship is incest and either you are down for that or you stop reading or like...Yuri where the fanbase already has a horrible tolerance to sister/sister dynamics and thus are somewhat less likely to care if the figurative sisterhood extends into a literal one. And in the case of genres like yuri there's often a divide between people who are fine with the incest and others who are very much not fine with the incest. Yuri also has the third category of fan which is people who are not really into incest shipping themselves but who, due to knowledge of the history of the genre, are more tolerant of it within the bounds of yuri. Because I mean even in not incest shit you're running into big sister/little sister dynamics a good chunk of the time. It's that or master/servant or teacher/student. Pick your poison. But like in both these cases it's like...The work isn't hiding that it's incest. Either you're into that or you leave.

So like heavily baited you've got people being more loud about their disapproval but still able to exist because the work itself hasn't openly gone "If you're not about the family fucking you get the fuck out" in some fashion.

• Informative x 3
  18. Nobody's Home

Posts talking about hating Harry Potter and accusing ppl who like Harry Potter like theyre not doing enough, like its some kinda moral gotcha are annoying as hell. Is hating Harry Potter trans activism? I'm just annoyed lol.

• Agree x 4
  19. Charlie

idk, I think the incest is joked about but not explicit enough that the incest angle is really interesting in Succession, even outside of jokes... like you have a guy who is emotionally abused about his father sing about how he stans his dad. There's no suggestion of incest between those two, but it's an intense relationship. Or things like a brother locking his brother in a dog cage and feeding him dog food? cake? it's never fully understood what it was. Like sometimes with EXPLICIT incest, I understand why you may not want to explore it - it's right there, but there's a lot of strange 'threads' in Succession that would be interesting to follow up on fanwise that aren't.

But at the same time I also understand that if you like a ship that is more ... 'vanilla'? like TomGreg you may not want to expose your hand and get kicked out (I say 'vanilla' because TomGreg is psychologically ripe like most Succession ships, but 'not-incest' compared to most other things)

I guess I just expect a show like Succession - primarily made for adults and an adult audience, to have more people willing to go there. I understand in certain fandoms why the incest angle may not be leaned into, but for something like Succession it surprises me because it's kind of ripe for psychological exploration. Every issue the MCs have kind of loops back into their family issue clusterfuck.

• Agree x 2
  20. Nobody's Home

Whatever one thinks of homestuck, naming your fangame "friendsim2" and using the same logo as friendsim is fucking stupid and it pisses me the fuck off. Use a different name, use a different logo - this is just rude as hell. Like its like theyre making it look like a "real sequel" like it is a fangame! Please be fucking clear about it.

Like some homestuck fans want to work on homestuck proper so fucking bad it makes them look stupid - just make fanwork but no bones about it It Is Fanwork.

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice