Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

at the risk of sounding "we are uncomfortable when not about me", i really dislike when a game is described as being "like dark souls", just because it has hard bosses or whatever. i, myself, am not a fan of the souls series, nor the genre it's in, so it's not really something I care about when there's a new game in that genre. people like it, it's obviously popular, fine, but stop using the series to lend credibility to a game that probably isn't all that much like dark souls.

• Agree x 2
  2. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

The "Dark Souls of X" thing has been extremely run into the ground, and no longer points to any thematic or mechanical similarity between the two games, which is frustrating because my favourite example of "stupid DS comparisons" at least cleared that hurdle. Something something the internet makes critical discussion impossible.

Fwiw I'm also not a Souls fan. I get what they're going for, it's admirable, it just does nothing for me.

• Agree x 3
  3. HonestlyVan

Although to be fair to be fair, a lot of the early Souls comparisons that beat this horse to death were thematically, mechanically or aesthetically on-point and they still weren't any less annoying. Dark Souls is still not exactly a universal work of art.

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

the only people in my fandom who aren't antis are the ones who are Doing It Terribly Wrong re: characterization of like half the cast o(-(

• Witnessed x 12
    • Agree x 1
  5. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

i saw a meta about my favourite ship the other night that encapsulated why i enjoy it. all very well and good! but it also said that that was the only way to ship those characters because it wasn't "gross".

sigh.

• Witnessed x 12
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Everyone thinking Marvus Xoloto is a good guy. He helps the player and dislikes the same people the player is led to dislike, but that doesn't mean he's on our side.

• Witnessed x 1
  7. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. Nothing more.

• Agree x 3
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Citing him helping Joey and Reader doesn't really make him look as good as people think. They seem to forget he's fully aware that the story ends if they die.

• Agree x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Relevantly enough, symbolism in the game has been connected to the Aztec god Tezcatlipoca, one of whose titles was "Enemy of Both Sides"...

• Informative x 2
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I feel it's rather strange to set up a "no incest" space in the Hetalia fandom. It's unclear what it even means for a nation to be "related" to another since they don't seem to reproduce the way humans do, and pretty much every cast member calls multiple other ones "brother" at some point and probably hits on the same people at some other point.

• Agree x 2
  11. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Well, I guess that means it'll be pretty easy to set up a no-incest space, then?

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It's impossible to tell what the mods count as incest, though - either nothing is or several of the big popular pairs are.

13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

it is such a burden being the only person in this discord server with the correct opinion about our collective favorite character but I am willing to bear it

• Witnessed x 9
    • Agree x 3
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Mad respect to everyone writing Final Fantasy XIV fic, it's a very difficult job when the nameless protagonist can be anywhere between two and seven feet tall. However I will still be annoyed when the Warrior of Light you write doesn't match the one I play. I know this is a "me" problem, neverthess it bugs me.

Also one of the characters speaks in an ornate, Shakespearean language (and he's the ONLY one who does that, we assume he's just Like That) and it is very hard to replicate correctly. Some of you are very bad at it but I respect you for trying.

• Witnessed x 3
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Mentioned plans to work an AU where trolls are reworked to be more balanced power-wise and having someone claim highbloods are less powerful than lowbloods already. That is demonstrably untrue and doesn't begin to make sense because they'd have been overthrown millennia ago if they were.

16. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Fandom "stop tagging characters if their only presence in the story is as background scenery" challenge 2k22.

Signed, someone who looks up a character name because I want to read about them.

• Agree x 9
    • Witnessed x 5
  17. HonestlyVan

Fandom needs to learn to tag for ensemble again.

• Agree x 11
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

People ranting about how horrible other fans are for not thinking the Strilondes are Jewish and using as their evidence that they must be "both of them came up with elaborate metaphors describing unspecified 'ethnic weddings' as being full of fat ugly drunken hicks". I seriously don't understand how people aren't being eaten alive for this!

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It's not evidence that Marvus and Boldir definitely aren't limebloods to have them be on the train in Act 2 despite the ticket machine requiring a blood sample when the first chunk of the Act is about Joey finding multiple ways to get on the train without giving a blood sample and succeeding.

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Fuck this person with the planet Jupiter.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice