Fandom Gripes Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by keltena, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tentaclegremlin

tentaclegremlin i'll drop the freakin' moon

why are all the fandom discord servers I've seen lately reddit-lite. i want a tumblr attitude discord not a reddit attittude discord.

• Witnessed x 4
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, this is a canon gripe but it's also a gripe that I appear to be the first one to question this. How much use is it for the highest castes to enslave lowbloods when the fuchsia castle is in the abyss, Eridan is implied to be weird for living on a boat, and lowbloods can't breathe underwater? How does anything for seadwellers actually ever get done? I guess robots would be a thing...

• Agree x 1
  3. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

I mean, in a society composed entirely of teenagers, maybe the cleaning of bedrooms is not a high priority? There's plenty of ways to exploit a slave besides household service.

• Agree x 7
  4. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

help this is the funniest shit i've ever seen
    person writes up a super long post objecting to a certain aspect of the fandom portrayal of a character and goes into detail about how he's awful and destined to die alone and unloved etc etc like very clearly a super emotionally driven "i hate him and everyone else should too", right? classic, so far nothing to worry about
    but they CITED THEIR SOURCES
    AND THEIR SOURCES ARE JUST THE CHARACTER PAGE ON THE FANDOM WIKI upload_2022-8-21_10-31-22.png

it's so fucking funny...

• Winner x 6
    • Witnessed x 3
  5. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

witnessed, but also agreed; that's hilarious

• Agree x 3
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, there are, but Feferi's home isn't completely overgrown with algae when we see it, which would be a problem underwater, and those ways are kind of limited if the slave literally cannot be within several hundred feet of your home without dying. I guess her hippocampi might eat any overgrowth?

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

On another topic, why were the fans surprised when the guy who casually massacres entire music festivals full of people turned out to be dangerous?

8. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

I wish video game fandoms didn't have such large proportions of people whose only argument is "get good". I'm sorry, I have poor fine motor control and limited free time. I do not have the time or physical capability to "get good", but I should still be able to enjoy gaming. I'm not even saying every game has to have an "easy mode", especially if the point is the challenge (like in Dark Souls), but I shouldn't be made fun of if I play Minecraft with cheats on, or stopped playing Luigi's Balloon World because of all of the glitched balloons.

• Agree x 7
    • Witnessed x 5
  9. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

the point of games is to be fun. if you need to have an easier time to have fun, you're perfectly well allowed. you're not entering any damn competitions with rules and standards who gives a fuck

• Agree x 8
  10. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

Difficulty snobbery is every time 100% of the time fueled by ableism and can be boiled down to "how dare the invalids also want to have fun"

• Agree x 6
  11. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

XRD fans keep bitching about Strive and I sit here knowing that XXAC+R kept bitching about how XRD was the dumbing down of the series that would kill it and jesus fucking christ must every fucking fighting game fanbase do this with every new iteration. It happens like clockwork with each new one. And yes sometimes there are genuinely bad versions that no one fucking likes like fucking Samsho 4 and 6 but like. Generally it's just the same pattern of "A new game came out that changed something or made something simpler. Therefore it is bad and its players are fucking morons who can't play A Man's Game that requires REAL skill and REAL execution."

Like fuck you can just dislike a game. You don't need to go on and on about how it is the worst thing ever and how its fans are idiots.

• Agree x 2
  12. Aondeug

The FGC genuinely has some of the most welcoming people in the world but gods help you if they learn you like a game they hate.

13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

People who aren't Homestucks should be barred from calling characters "Vriskas" because none of them know what a Vriska is.

• Agree x 10
    • Witnessed x 4
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

On one hand you're right, on the other hand I don't think most Homestucks agree on what Vriska is and I think that's where so many of the problems stem from.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

yes, but at least Homestucks cause the correct problems.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. LadyNighteyes

The proximate cause of that post was seeing a conversation on Fate/ Tumblr claiming Jalter and Illya were the Vriskas of the franchise. Which. Absolutely fucking what. Jalter might be an evil woman who's been overexposed due to authorial favoritism and a subset of passionate fans and people who don't like her are annoyed about it, but she's nearly the opposite of A Vriska because that overexposure has come with removing any real bite from her character; she isn't really evil past her first appearance, just a petty, grouchy edgelord. I don't even know what they meant about Illya. And Fate has an extremely prominent female character who is an overachieving perfectionist who brings her damage to every interpersonal relationship in her life by turning every interaction into a competition which she has to win and thinks this is cool and sexy of her, and the narrative is never constructed to convince her otherwise or highlight this as toxic behavior even when it's hurting her and everyone around her, despite getting lots and lots of screentime because the writers keep bringing her back because they like her. Rin Tohsaka is the Vriska!

The non-proximate cause is that seeing that terrible Vriska identification reminded me of the single worst attempt at Vriska identification I have ever seen: an alleged Locked Tomb fan saying Harrowhark Nonagesimus was a Vriska. No. Go directly to jail. You are not allowed back in this fandom until you do the remedial reading.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I guess they just REALLY don't like Illya?

18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

for me it's also about the polarization of the fandom. the stronger the did nothing wrong/did everything wrong binary, the more Vriska the character (assuming they have other qualifications, of course).

• Agree x 1
  19. LadyNighteyes

That's definitely a major factor, but I do think that a character can be a Vriska on personality alone. Part of the reason I was so "how dare you" at the Harrow post is because Ianthe is right there, but the fandom is, as far as I've seen, largely in agreement that she is the worst but it's very sexy of her.

• Agree x 5
  20. Aondeug

Harrow is not a Vriska what the fuck. I wouldn't say Ianthe is either because she really doesn't create the kind of polarization in the fanbase I personally need from a Vriska. But it damned fuck sure ain't Harrow.

• Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice