Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Ooh! I actually love Labyrinth a lot but it is so hard to find good fic for. When I have long fic spoons again, I'll definitely read it.

• Like x 1
  2. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

For any of you who are into DC, here's the fancomic I rec'd on the Batman thread. I figured it should go here too.

AND ON THE SUBJECT OF BATMAN--! This fic just punched me in the feels. So here. Have rec.

Here's the summary:

When Jason is the victim yet again of the Joker's personal war with Batman, the batfamily begins to tear apart at the seams. Tim spearheads a risky mission to recover their fallen brother in an effort to hold them together. The last thing he expects to find on the other side of a mortuary door is a very much alive Jason Todd. But Jason's resurrection raises more questions than answers and Tim finds himself at odds with the rest of the family as he tries to uncover the truth of the second Robin's apparent immortality.

• Like x 3
  3. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Hey does anyone know any good fanfics about codependency? (note that if its a superhero comic fandom i prob wont know the fandom material tho)

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I love this Les Miserables series. It's not too dark, if that's what you're looking for, but the main couple have an unhealthy level of attachment to each other and they know it. Also, lots of pining, it's fantastic :D

Also also also! This Les Mis series, absolutely one of the best works in the fandom and one of my favorite fanworks ever. The first fic, Gnomon, has been taken down, because the author wanted to change the names and publish it for money (and she did and it's great!). HOWEVER, since it's such a beloved and well-known fic, she's been nice enough to put up the original version on the sly over here! (If that link doesn't work for some reason, I also have a pdf.) You should read Gnomon first, and then the rest of the ao3 series in order. The main characters are very codependent and it is very unhealthy and delicious to read. This one definitely has a darker tone than the one above. Also can easily be read and enjoyed even if you're not familiar with the source material!

• Winner x 1
  5. Charlie

@adisagestar thank you very much! I'll check it out.

and haha dark or not I'm happy with both! I just like seeing codependency / dependency issues tackled, no matter what angle it's from. thank you!

• Like x 1
  6. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Under Skies You Could Drown In by Avdal on AO3 has one of my absolute favorite flavors of modern Kylo Ren characterization. Just, childishly selfish and self absorbed in a bigass grown adult man who doesn't understand why people keep getting hurt when he doesn't mean to hurt them.

Basic summary; Rey picks up psychic hitchhiker Kylo Ren who subtly ducks with her head to get her to give him a ride west despite her being understandably creeped the hell out.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Like x 1
  7. Charlie

two of my favourite charasriel fics

nice fics about codependency, kids + violence. spoilers you would expect of charasriel fic aka the two biggest walking spoilers of ut.

author of both is stringstobepulled

Sooner or Later (You'll Bury Your Teeth)
    'Maybe Chara's never seen a minotaur before. Maybe you should make your eyes all big and sad and say something apologetic to smooth it all over, like sorry, my friend doesn't mean to stare, they've never seen a minotaur before and they're a really nice person, honest, even if they've seen a hundred minotaurs and they're just being rude because they can. Maybe you shouldn't say anything at all, because they shouldn't have to be polite if they don't want to, and you shouldn't have to be polite, either. Maybe you should stare at her, too.

Maybe they think she's cute, and that's why they're staring. Maybe you should get a nose ring.'

incl some words from the opening bc it gives you a good feel for the fic. kids think about piercing in the typical messed up way they do.

Shadow Tag
    children dealing with expectancies and bullies. there's violence.

• Like x 1
  8. shmeed

shmeed plant me

hello does anyone have any recs for good solkat stuff? with solkat as the primary ship. i extra really like shorter stories (like under 15k) but i'll look at longer ones too

9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@seed here's a few i found from my ao3 bookmarks (link goes to all of my sollux/karkat bookmarks)

I Fall Forward, You Fall Flat by roachpatrol
    quadrant: black, wordcount: 9k, rating: Mature
    summary:
    Space Bro by JumpingJackFlash
    quadrant: red, wordcount: 10k, rating: Mature
    summary:
    By Ways I Have Not Known by Megan
    quadrant: red, wordcount: 20k, rating: Explicit
    summary:
    (a bit more info: this is an AU where Sollux didn't half-kill himself when he threw the asteroid, and thus got to make the Asteroid Road Trip with the rest of the party.)

• Like x 2
  10. shmeed

shmeed plant me

thank you so much @garden ! :) looking forward to reading these

• Like x 1
  11. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

12. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

• Like x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hey do any of yall have some good relatively in character, relatively long undertale fic recs (or tumblr logs of some sort of au or comic or whatever) i could binge on? Near anything goes with any characters except torture fic (unless it happened in the past and isn't talked about in length), i just really need something to read so my brain will chill out

14. Charlie

I thought Invert's Baby Boss Monster AU was fun but, how in character you find them to be depends on your interp I guess? Since Frisk, Asriel and Chara are all so interpretative. All the side characters are pretty in character though imo.

• Like x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

The Under Shield series was my favorite when I was in that fandom! Lots of characters get screentime and the characterization for all of them is excellent.

• Like x 2
  16. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@Deresto
    They Say The Fire Goes Out On A Star Long Before We Know, by inverts; 66k with a 63k sequel. (Never got around to reading the sequel, but the first fic's quite good.)
    Summary:
    Also, depending on your definition of long: swirlingflight recced this fic, which is only 35k: I Am In The Past, Never In The Future, by khilari.
    Feralphoenix's series you can only use your own totals about 251k, with individual entries ranging from 5k to 50k. (fake edit: unknownanonymous already recced this a few months ago asdjfgjh)
    Summary:
    Finally, The Thought is an interesting AU comic where Sans takes matters into his own hands. Might not fit your desire for lengthiness, however; I just thought of it because you mentioned comics.

• Like x 3
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hell yes, thanks all!

• Like x 2
  18. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

I'm also going to add that I'm http://archiveofourown.org/users/EchoDoctor on AO3 and therefore recommend any of the, like, eight different Undertale fics in my bookmarks over there, so you can take a look and see if any of them catches your interest.

• Like x 1
  19. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

So I have gotten into the taz fandom. And, well, I just really love crossovers. So. This fic delighted me completely.

Whoops, forgot the summary:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I have a lot of feelings about 'got room for one more troubled soul'

So many feelings that I posted as Flowey the first time

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice