Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i have only a passing familiarity with dresden files myself. i'm sure i missed a few references, but on the whole it didn't slow me down.

not knowing anything about night vale would probably be a steeper intro curve. it's a fantastically weird environment.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Who wants feels about Leia Organa-Solo?

Of Queens, Knights and Pawns by chancecraz, wherein General Leia Organa-Solo immediately post-TFA gets mysteriously teleported back in time to take over the body of Princess Leia of Alderaan at the beginning of ANH, in the clutches of Darth Vader.
    Because Luke may have reconciled himself with daddy dearest, but Leia sure hasn't, and she has questions for him. And issues. Lots of issues.
    Incomplete, updates monthly-ish I think.

Also, Shifting Sands, also by chancecraz, wherein General Leia Organa-Solo gets mysteriously teleported to Tatooine and meets a little Force-sensitive slave boy named Ani.
    Incomplete, updates slow.

• Informative x 1
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I only know a bit of early Night Vale, and I'm plenty familiar with Dresden Files, so it was an interesting process of sorta being on the same page as Carlos going WTF at all the Night Vale things.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  4. jacktrash

the premise of night vale is kind of like, "what if all the urban legends and conspiracy theories were TRUE in this one town" and it honestly makes a lot more sense within the context of dresden files, because yeah, magic does work like that!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I knew some night vale and only fandom osmosis levels of understanding of dresden files and i loved that fic omg Very Thank for rec

• Like x 1
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Request for Proposals by nirejseki
    A great fic by a skilled author, but they clearly didn't understand some fundamental things about trans people at the time. More recent fics have demonstrated fuller understanding, so I'm not concerned that it's malicious; it's just present and I think it should be warned for.

Not quite halfway down, in the interview with Mardon, this line appears: "Least, your file didn't say anything about being designated different at birth." From context, they were clearly trying to say something about IDENTIFYING differently (MM: "I want to be the guy in the relationship" MR: "you're... Both... Guys???")

I just felt it should be warned for.

Edit: I have been given permission to podfic this with that line corrected and I am Deeply Pleased.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

anyone happen to have any HP fic recs either centred around the DA or being about/involving winning the shit out of the Battle of Hogwarts?

i just reread the D. S. S. Requirement and now I'm in the mood for fics where they do some ridiculous optimization bs and take the death eaters (and the rest of the magical world) by storm
    ((listen, i love how the D. S .S. Requirement just sidesteps the whole war issue but I could SWEAR I've seen fics where the DA goes to battle on hoverboards and i WANT IT. but that is incredibly specific. so DA-centric will do.)

8. Jean

I got permission to write a dss requirement spin-off and I was actually planning on starting post war with them really getting their space organization off the ground, but now I REALLY want to write them fighting death eaters on hoverboards. It's just. So beautiful.

As for the da steamrolling death eaters, there's the mischief's heir series, which is an mcu crossover that is very good in some ways and startlingly bad in others.

Premise is that Harry learns about Loki after first year and prays to him and Loki actually answers. This leads to a lot of stuff, including a much more in-depth wizading space initiative, a lot of redemptions, and an interhouse group that is not the da but overlaps it being very badass. However, the moralistic wizard vs muggle outlook (where wizards are somehow morally superior and would be living in peace if not for muggle interference)(wtf) and mischaracterization of several key characters, most notably Ginny and Hermione, make it almost not worth reading imo. I read all the way through for SPACE!! and I have to admit, it was good space.

• Like x 2
  9. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

not to be an enabler but do it it'll be great
    thank you for the rec (&the warning)! why do ginny and Hermione so often have to be the victim of mischaracterisation :( I'm gonna give it a shot, see if I can look past it! ^^

10. jacktrash

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7769896/chapters/17721367

no-serum steve and the 'ghost army' rescue bucky, and somewhere in between schlepping inflatable tanks and leaking misleading radio chatter, they end up faking a supersoldier.

this is BRILLIANT. be warned, though, it makes the war feel very real. there are some brutal details and a whole lot of grit.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  11. Jean

12. Jean

todoroki sakura, ex-ninja, pro hero by CountlessCzan
    Exactly what it sounds like: Naruto/BNHA; Haruno Sakura is reborn as Todoroki Shouto's twin sister. It's fantastic. There's only two fics to the series so far, but it was last updated a few months ago, so I have faith.

Summaries:
    To Perish Twice
    It Would Suffice

• Like x 1
  13. Jean

Harry Potter recs! Are a thing I would like to both receive and give. So.

Hair Raising by centreoftheselights
    This author has a whole bunch of cute femslash, also.

Matchmaker, Matchmaker by prosodiical
    Best, cutest fantastic beasts fic.

Weekly Voldy by petroltogo
    Crack. Absolutely hilarious.

The Uncle by copperbadge
    In which Remus is highkey a mob boss.

Magical Metamorphosis by Eon_The_Dragon_Mage
    Really sweet, with lots of support for Harry both in and out of Hogwarts (except for the Dursleys, but that's to be expected).

Lots more, but uh. I'll leave it at that for now.

• Like x 2
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

ok so a while ago I read a tumblr post (it might have been on @jacktrash 's blog if I remember right?) about how any fantasy society that has people with lightning magic is likely to have figured out welding as well. Now that I am Doing Welding I find myself very interested in that concept, so - does anyone know of any work of fiction/fanfic that features magical welding? or is there no such beast?

15. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

One of the main characters in Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series has metalworking magic, it's not quite welding but she does similar stuff?

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

I have to chime in because Daja (the metalworking mage) is one of my favorite fictional characters ever, and the way magic is described in the Circle of Magic has stuck with me for so long. Basically: all of the main characters are a type of mage whose magic comes from working with and crafting things, or from nature itself. Harnessing or channeling the magic that is already there. So there are lots of loving descriptions of, like, transcendently weaving bandages and falling into the pattern, or pulling gold wire and feeling it with your entire body, or finding joy and comfort in little green growths, or feeling like you're part of the wind.

Basically if that sounds like something you're into, you should definitely check them out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I was thinking of Daja when I wrote that post, actually! That series has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and her magic probably comes the closest to what I’m looking for. But I was specifically wondering about using magic to do exactly what we do irl, with using an electrical arc to heat two pieces of metal so you can weld them together.

...you know, what with the whole magic-blending thing those kids have going on, I wouldn’t be surprised if Daja and Tris could figure out a way to do that at some point. I wonder if the idea will ever strike them? I gotta remember this if I ever make it to a Tamora Pierce AMA

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. Jean

At some point in... I think tris's book? They do try that. There was something that kept them from coming back to it later, though; it's been too long for me to remember what.

• Like x 1
  19. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

In one of the books they have to mend a metal net and attach little thingies to it, daja and or briar try getting tris to help by using tiny lightning but they cant get it to work reliably/safely iirc

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh right I completely forgot about that!! It was in Tris’s book, I think they ended up abandoning it because Tris had to use a lot of energy and it wasn’t very efficient, and also because pirates were happening to them. It wasn’t quite the same as welding, though - Tris zapped each joint with a tiny lightning, rather than using a steady current.

I’m gonna go ahead and headcanon that later in their lives when things calm down, they refine that technique to be more practical. *moves extended tangent into blogthread*

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice