Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

requesting recs: long-ish (or straight up long) harry potter or naruto fics focused more on side characters or the whole ensemble than the protagonists? got in the mood for fics about the DA and realized the same urge extends to naruto

(I don't need the protag to be ABSENT, i just need him not to be THE focus, yknow?)

2. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

The ever-changing tide by Sann
    (Naruto crossover)(6 chapters so far, but it looks like it'll be long)

Wizards IN SPACE by esama

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Like x 1
  3. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

thank you!
    I've read Wizards in Space already (remembering how much I enjoyed that is actually what got the urge for more going)! fun fic) but the crossover is new to me and I'm hype :D

• Like x 1
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Epilogue, or, Beyond the Pale by brackets_002
    Chapters 7/12
    After the events of Hollow Knight, Hornet chooses whose legacy she wants to inherit.

I kind of developed a crush on Hornet. This fic doesn't alleviate that at all.

6. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3984610/1/Three_Months

Completed. Temari and the ladies of the Konoha 12 get together and create a list of boys in the Konoha 12 who are Undateable. They then decide to find new guys to date, and give themselves three months for a test run to see if they're happier in these new relationships.

I remember it as being pretty good, but I'm not sure if it's held up at all.

7. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

A Two-Sided Coin by Siamesa
    One-shot
    Jaqen H'ghar's offer to Arya for three names doesn't mean three deaths.

• Like x 1
  8. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

A Metaphor Of Some Kind by copperbadge

One shot Good Omens (TV)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

anything by copperbadge is going to be good, with a high probability of being great. just archive dive if you haven’t. you won’t regret it.

• Agree x 5
    • Useful x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

i never liked the writing of his Harry Potter stuff, but it seems like he's either improved or he's just better suited to Good Omens, because all his GO fics I've read have been great!

• Agree x 1
  11. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Yeah most of his HP fic is from fourteen years ago, and I definitely feel he's developed a lot since then. Also his Tumblr is very low-drama, he mostly posts about mustard or his two cats.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

He has said that he hopes michael sheen hasn't read his old Good Omens fic because, similarly to his HP stuff, it is almost old enough to drive a car and he has improved since then

I haven't gone back to read any of his older good omens stuff but the new stuff is, indeed, Good Stuff Heck Yeah Nice

• Like x 3
  13. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

monster by peradi.

Jessica Jones AU where the end of season one goes south. Trish winds up with Kilgrave. She has no powers, no ability to resist, and no one to save her. It’s a painful read. It’s also extremely satisfying. An ordinary person is a terrifying thing.

It’s not rated but contains child abuse, including what probably qualifies as csa, sexual assault of an adult, minor suicidal ideation, psychological manipulation, and permanent scars both literal and figurative, among other things such as Kilgrave. And a happy ending.

• Like x 2
  14. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... !!!

On the other side, by esama.

AU in which Obi-Wan has successfully washed out of the Knight program to become an exceedingly badass ecologist in AgriCorp.

Features tiny Anikin being introduced to hydroponics, and an unusually self-aware Qui-Gon Jinn.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hardcore seconding this rec, I've already read it 3 times this week! It's a very fun and heartwarming introduction to the fandom imho

• Agree x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

The Changeling
    A harry potter retelling AU where Ginny is a Slytherin, this is her tale
    It's a 180k word fic and it's absolutely amazing wow (from the dates it was made from 2011-2017??? Dedication!)

This fic is stunning and amazing and gave me new perspectives to think about

It's fantastic, absolute recommend

• Like x 2
  17. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

honestly blackkat has a lot of good non-naruto-focused naruto fic, just... binge it. you probably won't regret it. it's what got me into naruto.

• Agree x 3
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

yeah, pretty much all her stuff is about side characters. and rarepairs. so many rairpairs. read her fic and you’ll come out shipping hatake sakumo/orochimaru, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

• Agree x 2
  19. jacktrash

20. jacktrash

i've been in the mood for espionage lately, and i've been reading the usual suspects (man from uncle and so forth) but i bet there are some great spy fics hidden in non-spy fandoms. anyone come across any? preference for clever and well-thought-out espionage over any particular fandom or other content. shipping not required, though i do tend to shy away from the standard het tropes pretty strongly. just. really smart spies. i'll be your best friend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice