Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

*points upthread at the Naruto fic rec*

it's more about the emotional struggle side of spying, rather than the Plots and Schemes, but there are a lot of places where Kiba has to think very quickly to avoid giving himself away to either friends or enemies. The fight scenes are really good!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Has anyone recced the raptors in the rainforest series yet? It's a very long and very well written Jurassic Park fic series on ao3 and basically follows the events after Jurassic world and completely ignores the second one, as it hadn't come out yet.

It perfectly alienates the raptors from any sort of humanity, which is imo so much more satisfying than giving them human behaviors and morals just because they are smart.

I love it to pieces and even if you're not into Jurassic Park at all, it's still a very interesting read. Other features, just to sweeten the pot: weird dino relations, a special needs raptor, old fogeys Grant and Malcom, and Wu getting what he deserves

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
  4. townghost

townghost mystery crab

5. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

• Winner x 1
  7. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

Two Men, Crossing the Street (8221 words) by[a href=https://archiveofourown.org/users/merle_p]merle_p[/url]
    Chapters: 1/1
    Fandom:[a href=https://archiveofourown.org/tags/The Man From U*d*N*d*C*d*L*d*E*d* (2015)]The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)[/url]
    Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
    Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
    Relationships: Illya Kuryakin/Napoleon Solo
    Characters: Illya Kuryakin, Napoleon Solo, Gaby Teller, Original Character
    Additional Tags: Spies & Secret Agents, Cold War, Developing Relationship, Long-Term Relationship(s), Insecurity, Fear, Historical References, playing fast and loose with history, Canon-Typical Violence, Hurt/Comfort, Major Character Injury, Emotionally Repressed
    Summary:[p]“They are useless to their countries,” he says slowly. “Everyone knows their real names, their faces. A spy who cannot spy. Is like – like a car that cannot drive. Useless.”

“Ah,” Napoleon says quietly, as if he finally understands what Illya is so angry about. But he doesn’t, Illya thinks, he can’t know, not really, and he isn’t sure if it’s sadness or relief he feels at the thought.

8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

after complaining about the lack of them, i figured i'd post my favorite Sybil/Vimes/Vetinari ot3 fic: the city's creature by starstrung.

it takes place between Guards! Guards! and Men At Arms, and it explores some things i wished the books had gone into-- Vimes and Sybil's courtship (and Vimes' awkward transition between social classes), Vimes relapsing, and Vimes realizing that both Sybil and Vetinari are master manipulators in their own ways.

also, i just love this description of Sybil:

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  9. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

10. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

A Helpful FAQ by Siamesa

Having accidentally sat out the War of Four Kings in Dorne, Renly Baratheon now provides his wisdom and insight regarding: 1: King Stannis's Small Council, and 2: the North. Said wisdom and insight has probably not been subjected to royal review.

• Winner x 2
  11. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

Timing (976 words) by azriona
    Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
    Rating: General Audiences
    Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings, No Archive Warnings Apply
    Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
    Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson
    Additional Tags: Kink Meme, Pre-Slash, First Kiss, Fluff, Перевод на русский | Translation in Russian, 中文翻译 | Translation in Chinese, Translation
    Summary:

Time and place, boys. Time and place.

[sherlock is not even my fandom but this is v cute.]

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

network effects (the tragedies after duscur) (4071 words) by mareza
    Fandom: Fire Emblem: Fuukasetsugetsu | Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
    Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply

Summary: Tragedy never strikes once. There was the Tragedy of Duscur: the royal family, their knights and retainers, the firstborn sons of noble houses beloved to the crown. Then there was the Tragedy enacted on Duscur: men, women, children, old and young, armed and helpless.

And then there were the tragedies that came next.

(minor spoilers only for the backstories of most of the Blue Lion students. but yeah this fic is very lay down/try not to cry/ cry a lot dot jpeg for me ;3; short but beautifully written, probably can be appreciated by even those outside the fandom)

• Like x 1
  13. Exohedron

The Good Earth series by The Feels Whale (miscellea).
    A 7 chapter complete story and a one shot and a 1/2 chapter piece.
    Hobbits, as it turns out, don't come into the world in quite the same manner as Big Folk do.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oooh, imma definitely check that out later

15. Exohedron

The Xenoethnography series by Therrae (Dasha_mte)
    6 parts so far, the last just starting
    Kimberly Montgomery, just-titled Doctor of Anthropology and looking for a job, gets hired by the Department of Defense to help them better deal with some "immigrants". Giant, metal, alien, shape-changing immigrants.
    Well, technically she doesn't get hired by the DoD. Technically, she now works for Optimus Prime.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    • Winner x 7
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I LOVE THAT SERIES SO MUCH

it’s one of... no, at this point it’s the only fic that I’ll instantly read every update of, no matter what my current fandom is. I recommend it to everyone, whether you’re into Transformers or not, it’s just that goddamn good

17. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i just binged all of it, & i know basically nothing about transformers but i really enjoyed it!!

• Winner x 1
  18. Exohedron

Xenoanthropology is really an underutilized genre.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 1
  19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

So It Goes: First Contact (Homestuck) has some fun stuff with humans making first contact w/ trolls & trying to figure out troll language/biology/culture. Fun but not nearly as in-depth (or as anthropology-focused) as Xenoethnography.

• Agree x 1
  20. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

This has occupied most of my brainpower for the past day and a half and I'm not done yet, oh no

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice