Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

aaaa it updated!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

• Winner x 1
  3. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Ah sweet, Peter Watts wrote my favorite novel (Starfish). I recognized that domain name! Thanks for the link!

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

enjoying the hell out of this thank you

“You may be the last Uzumaki, but you’re not alone anymore.”
    >Naruto would now die for you

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

okay. i have to confess a deep and burning and somewhat off-topic curiosity. does anyone know what on EARTH is up with the font that the authors' names display in? or the 'S U M M A R Y' thing? I've only been able to find references to work skins (I've used these and have never had them affect how my user name displays), or site skins (explicitly referenced as only affecting the way you see the site and nobody else). Aventria has no solo fics and it's present in Iluxia's oldest ao3 fic. I don't want to be super weird and ask a stranger about it, so I am choosing to be mildly weird and ask the forum instead.

normal

upload_2021-12-19_15-25-1.png

versus

upload_2021-12-19_15-24-14.png

I'm not that bothered, even though i find that kerning offensive, but not knowing how it was done is driving me bananas XD

6. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

It's just their work skin! Most authors don't do nearly as much with them, but the title and summary sections are among those you can apply custom CSS to if you so choose. So I'm afraid that's just the author's taste in kerning, haha.

If you want to see exactly how they did it, Inspect Element would probably work. And there's at least one series of tutorials on this sort of work skin wizardry out there, though I don't have a link on hand.

• Informative x 2
  7. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I saw a tutorial for workskin wizardry that had retroactive text as in you read a chapter, go to the next chapter, there's a link to the previous chapter in the body of that chapter, you click the link and there is text that wasn't there when you read the chapter the first time

• Winner x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

:EYES:

That sounds incredible for doing a fic that features time travel password shenanigans

• Agree x 4
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

“The Talk” (quotation marks are part of the title). Very goofy and short (under 300 words total, over five short vignettes) Steven Universe fic about various parties attempting to explain sex to Steven and very clearly not understanding it at all. Fucking hilarious and flawlessly IC.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I am having SUCH TEACHERFEELS over that Naruto fic oh my god, my heart, it is overflowing

also the author is still responding to comments on it (and within a day!) so maybe it isn't as abandoned as all that? perhaps? hopefully??

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  11. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

[​IMG]

Do you remember where...?

• Agree x 4
  12. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

That is some homestuck level bullshit right there.

• Agree x 6
  13. keltena

Unrelated to the tutorial Wingyl mentioned, I went back and found the series I was thinking of now that I have some free time: La_Temperanza's AO3 Work Skins/Tutorials. (Their Choose Your Own Adventure tutorial does involve hiding/showing different text within a chapter, which sounds related to that retroactive text trick.)

There's also a number of AO3 collections compiling these sorts of tutorials, which you can find by checking which collections a tutorial has been added to – this one and this one have some neat things, for instance.

There unfortunately isn't a standardized tag for work skins yet, but if you want to go digging, the following tags all have some content: Work Skin, Workskin, CSS. The most relevant canonized tag is the more general Fanwork Research & Reference Guides.

• Useful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

It's definitely not abandoned, the last update was Friday

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. keltena

Oh, and a quick note for anyone not familiar with how AO3 skins work: If you do anything fancy with CSS, keep in mind that it won't work for anyone who has workskins disabled or downloads the fic (AO3's native download function strips custom work skins), and in some cases may not work as intended with screen readers. Ideally, you should make sure the fic is still readable with the skin removed, either by not putting necessary information in CSS to begin with, or by including an alternative version of that information that displays when the custom CSS is removed. (La_Temperanza's tutorials are very good about this, IIRC.) If that's not possible, you can save readers some confusion by mentioning it in the author's note.

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  16. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

https://archiveofourown.org/works/25174384/chapters/75543767?style=disable here's the retroactive text thing, link is to the Hide Creator's Style version which has the actual instructions/code for the retroactive text.

The entire work is less a tutorial and more someone playing around with doing wild things in the AO3 workspace - amongst other things the work is named "CSS In Testing" but with Creator's Style on it's named Bleed Gold in gold wordart that turns blue when you mouse over it - but there are instructions for all the madness. It's not usually in the Hide Creator's Style section but it was for the retroactive text.

• Useful x 6
  17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

oh right yeah alerts

@coldstars i found the link, it's CSS In Testing aka Bleed Gold and the chapter with the retroactive text explanation is linked above (turn on creator's style to get the retroactive text example instead)

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

caught up with the Naruto fic. am now afflicted with a terrible and terribly specific craving which no other story can fulfill.

*sigh* time to go reread snake in the grass again...

• Witnessed x 5
    • Agree x 1
  19. tentaclegremlin

tentaclegremlin i'll drop the freakin' moon

jesus retroactive text is straight up voodoo. i can't wow reaction because that doesn't exist so i'm not reacting at all. but. wow.

• Agree x 3
  20. keltena

Denmark's New Groove

Somebody wrote Hamlet/Emperor's New Groove for Yuletide.

In iambic pentameter.

It's beautiful.

• Winner x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice