Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I think it's time we blow this scene by suzukiblu
    Oneshot
    Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka try to defend Supreme Chancellor Palpatine during a high-speed chase through Coruscant traffic. Anakin asks Palpatine to take the wheel for a bit and two out of the four people in the vehicle have a lot of fun; the other two very much do not.

• Winner x 4
  2. Exohedron

And to no-one's surprise, more Star Wars Time Travel Fixit-Fic:

Desert Storm series by Blue_Sunshine, and its follow-up Rise and Fall

Four years after the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire, Ben Kenobi wanders into a Tatooine sandstorm, and out of a Tatooine sandstorm 23 years earlier, just in time to meet a young slave woman and her baby boy who shines in the Force.

Really dense, really long, lots of Mandolorians, lots of cliffhangers, lots of sand (so much sand). Also so many characters, canon and otherwise, some of them familiar, some of them remixed due to time-travel, but also lots of OCs (or might-as-well-be-OCs given how little they appear in canon) who are nonetheless pretty cool.

Also I am not kidding about long: Desert Storm is over a million words, and Rise and Fall isn't finished at nearly another half mil.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

You are not kidding about long! I have put so much of my spare time into binging this since the fic rec. Glad to have gotten into it, but now peering down the edge of the cliffhanger I'm on and pondering whether to shelve it for a bit.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I remember seeing Ben in anyone's visions of freeing Tatooine? And one thing that would make for a more challenging war to oppose this healthier galaxy would be a successfully turned Ben.....

4. Exohedron

• Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  5. Exohedron

The Soft Wars series by Project0506

Tales of the clones in a lighter, kinder Star Wars universe. Siblings are siblings, even when there's millions of them.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. swirlingflight

From the series summary: lol, lmao
    I'm curious to read just to find out what the author does do with him!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

The story where Torrent is waiting for their jedi to arrive, and going over what they've heard about him, definitely tugged the heartstrings a bit

8. Exohedron

Project Arda by Astrance
    One-shot
    Professor Eru Illuvatar gets rudely called away from His golfing by His grad student Manwe to deal with some of the experiments on Project Arda from escaping confinement. He probably should have just started with a round world to begin with.

• Winner x 1
  9. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

So uh.

Someone made Colin Trevorrow's draft of Star Wars Episode IX: Duel Of The Fates into a comic.

Duel of the Fates — Andrew Winegarner, Ph.D. (awinegarner.com)

It's clearly a first draft, but it's also... remarkable how good it is? Like, it's actually good and makes sense, even if it has some... rather forced references.
    And Hux committing seppuku with Mace Windu's lightsaber because quote, he 'lost the Star Wars'. Which is still a massively better death than what he got in canon.

10. Exohedron

Another wild Game of Thrones ride from Astolat:

The Pack Survives, complete, 23/23

Robb Stark is good at sex and violence.

Note: I read this when it didn't have any tags on it, and I think that's the most interesting way to experience Astolat, but the version linked above does have tags. Hopefully she'll generate an untagged version that I can link here as well.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. swirlingflight

I've just finished chapter 6, unable to disagree with Robb's fatalistic "soon?", especially when I noticed the chapter count yet to go.

• Like x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

omg theres a sequel

• Winner x 1
  14. Exohedron

Rise and Fall is starting to update again. Also a few months ago the author stated that there's probably another million more words before it's done.

• Agree x 1
  15. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

^^^ YES THIS <3<3<3

I was rereading anyway and then Inferno bipped to the top of my bookmarks page I am excite. :D

16. swirlingflight

THE FURY OF A SHATTERED MIRROR by ASpooky
    So I'm linking an ongoing, fairly frequently updated, 100k+ word fic that just ended its Act1 - and isn't halfway to completion, per the author

The first chapter is a chaos that sets part of the situation, and then the following chapters are far more clearly a crossover between Disco Elysium and Slay The Princess that tosses Harry and his skills onto a path in the woods with only the Narrator's (familiar) explanation.

And it does so with a style that imitates the DE text very well, with extended internal conversations constantly, but more than that it explores themes and ideas shared by both games, implying connections between them, and still finds opportunities for flashbacks to Revachol and various of the characters there!

You don't have to know both canons - there's several people commenting who don't know one or the other or either at all, enjoying the ride so far. But there's for sure things that a familiar reader will be able to go !!! with recognition and anticipation where an unfamiliar reader wouldn't.

• Informative x 2
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Our Better Angels by Andraste - a doctor who daemonverse au made of one short vignette for each doctor. also, everything else by Andraste. they have an amazing gift for characterization.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice