Fanfic recs

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by swirlingflight, May 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

that series is A M A Z I N G omg i love it so much

• Like x 3
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Just the prequel story...

• Like x 1
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That author also has a novel-length fic in the works called Anabasis - actually a rewrite of an old fic, and they're going to publish the whole thing at once when it's done. You can read about it (as well as more Double Agent Vader stuff and lots of excellent meta) on their tumblr. I've tried to avoid spoilers because I want to enjoy the thing as thoroughly as possible when it comes out, but in terms of reading experience it looks like basically Double Agent Vader turned up to eleven. I cannot wait :D

• Like x 4
  4. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

@jacktrash This is my most loving and appreciative middle finger for recommending that stucky fic on your tumblr yesterday. I had SHIT TO DO last night and none of it got done because as soon as I finished the damn thing I went back to the beginning and read it again.

• Like x 4
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

dude you read fast! granted, i kept having to take breaks to do other stuff, either because other stuff needed doing, or because ADHD. but still, that is one long fic!

btw, for general perusal, my fic rec tag is here: http://jumpingjacktrash.tumblr.com/tagged/fic-rec

• Like x 2
  6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I come bearing another KH fic rec. Do you like Roxas and Xion being small children? Do you like Vexen? Do you like being sad? Read this, it's an AU of Days where Vexen is the Castle Oblivion survivor instead of Axel.

• Like x 1
  7. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Fun Avengers/Miraculous Ladybug cross: What the Cat Dragged In by Kryal. Clint, Natasha and Tony go to Paris to look at fashion. Feels about Adrien ensue. Also akuma. Akuma ensue.

• Like x 3
  8. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

All of Kyral's fic that I've read is good, really.

9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

A plurk friend asked for Harry Potter fic recs, so I went through my bookmarks for a few I thought they might be interested in. That might have been a mistake. I'm rereading When In Doubt, Obliviate! again, a lovely fic that doesn't take itself seriously. One where Lockhart chances into finding out about Harry Potter and kidnapping him to raise the kid to properly appreciate his fame, and most of the cast gets at least a few quips about plot holes in at some point or another.

ETA: And here's a good example of the writing of this fic:
    thesorting.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Like x 5
  10. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Hm. Just. Casually fixing Neville's life, there. Like, nothing to do with the alternate history premise, just, his parents are functional and Draco is his annoying fourth cousin or whatever to whom he gives as good as he gets and Snape ignores him and he gets to have fun being a Griffindor and help stop Quirrell and most of that has nothing to do with Lockhart adopting Harry. Just. It randomly doesn't suck to be Neville this time.

I suppose I should be mad about the violation of alternate history convention, but mostly I'm just bemused at how randomly nice this author is. (Meanwhile, Lockhart is actually an okay dad who keeps Harry safe???) It probably helps that I always liked Neville.

• Like x 3
  11. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

I feel depressed and generally awful, so my usual fondness for angst fic feels a little like trying to put out a fire with gasoline right now, does anyone have anything fluffy and happy and fun they can recommend me?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  12. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

• Like x 2
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I can't recall if you're in the SU fandom or not, but Garnet's First Day Of School is an adorable human AU one-shot with Ruby and Sapphire as Garnet's moms, sending her off to kindergarten. Tons of warm fuzzies and cuteness.

• Like x 1
  14. Aya-non

Aya-non Well-Known Member

I don't know your fandoms, but if you have a passing familiarity with both source materials, Sengoku Jidai in September is a cute, fluffy little weird-crossover nostalgia trip.

(Full disclosure: The source materials are The Magic Treehouse books and Inuyasha; the fic is basically a crossover written in the style of the books.)

• Like x 1
  15. Acey

Also, does anyone have any absolutely soul-crushingly depressing SU fic recs?

16. Acey

All my recs in general? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
    I've already recced a few of these, but not in much detail.

Untimely Ripped
    • Homestuck. Humanstuck, from Aradia's point of view, with a focus on her sibling relationship with Damara.
    • Synopsis: Six months after Damara kills herself, Aradia chances upon a spellbook at the local used bookshop--and finds a spell to bring back the dead. It works, a bit to Aradia's surprise. There's just one problem: Damara really, really doesn't want to be back.
    • CW for suicide as a major theme, and some very frank discussion of depression.
    • A series; so far, four fics (the main one and three companion one-shots) are complete.
    • Based on a kink meme request from yours truly!
    • One of the best Homestuck fics I've ever read--maybe the best. Will rip your heart out.
    c'est difficile
    • Steven Universe. Canon-compliant. Told from Pearl's POV. PearlRose as a major theme, but it's not exactly a shipping fic.
    • Synopsis: Pearl's feelings following Steven's birth.
    • CW for (canonical) character death and attempted suicide.
    • One-shot; complete.
    • A commission from me. WHY AM I INDIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MULTIPLE AWESOME FICS??
    • A deeply tragic look into Pearl's psyche, but ultimately heartwarming.
    Eight Drinks
    • Steven Universe. Humanstuck. Pearlmethyst.
    • Synopsis: Pearl gets drunk one night, and gets taken to Amethyst's house for the evening for her safety. Attraction blooms.
    • CW for alcoholism, possible eating disorders, drugs, and relatively heavy sexual content.
    • Unfinished, and updated sporadically, but very much ongoing. Long, too--it's already past 70k words!
    • Simultaneously sweet, sad, and friggin' hilarious. The characterization is spot-on--you really feel like this is exactly how the Gems would act if they were human. Amethyst in particular is fucking perfect.
    Ghost Stories
    • Homestuck. Humanstuck. Told from Sollux's POV. SolAra.
    • Synopsis: Sollux muses about the nature of ghosts.
    • CW for suicide and discussion of mental illness.
    • One-shot, and pretty short (just over 600 words).
    • One of the most heartbreaking fics I've ever read. I may or may not have cried at this one.
    It Was An Accident
    • Steven Universe. Canon-compliant, as far as I can tell. Amedot.
    • Synopsis: Amethyst shows some more human TV to Peridot, who, unbeknownst to her, is developing a major crush on her.
    • I can't think of any content warnings for this one.
    • Complete.
    • Adorable, funny, and sweet, with a side of angst. Very in-character; Peridot's characterization is especially great.
    Manly Testosterone Bro Maledate
    • Homestuck. Possibly AU, possibly canon-compliant. Caliborn/Lord English (yes, really).
    • Synopsis: Lord English goes on a date with an alternate version of himself, because no one else will do.
    • CW for misogyny and murder, although given the characters, this really shouldn't come as a surprise.
    • One-shot; complete.
    • One of the most ridiculously hilarious fics I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It really feels like something that could've happened in canon.
    Garnet's First Day of School
    • Steven Universe. Humanstuck. Rupphire.
    • Synopsis: Ruby and Sapphire send their adopted daughter, Garnet, off to kindergarten.
    • Again, I can't think of any content warnings here.
    • One-shot; complete.
    • Pure tooth-rotting adorable fluff. Really sweet, and it really captures the feelings a parent might have about their little one starting school for the first time. Good characterization, especially for Ruby.

• Like x 6
  17. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    • Like x 6
    • Winner x 1
  18. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

For those who play Sunless Sea, the following: Tantalize.

Pairing is Zea Captains(s)/Sigil-Ridden Navigator.

Rated E, warnings for dubcon, blood, gore, body horror, cannibalism. So much cannibalism. (And it probably says something that the unapologetic cannibal is one of the less morally objectionable characters in the story.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    • Like x 2
  19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

• Like x 1
  20. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

okay i always feel super weird recommending things because what if i talk it up too much and it fails to live up to the hype and everyone thinks i have bad taste in fanfiction BUT

i want everybody to read The Fifth Act, i read it like half a decade ago and it's still one of the best stories i've ever read. i re-read it every now and then to make sure i'm not remembering it with rose-coloured glasses, but no, it is still So Good

i knew almost nothing about the FF7 universe when i read it, i still know Very Very Little about it, but MAN it is everything i have ever liked about time travel fic with none of the things i hate about time travel fic, and it's so exciting and well-written and so so funny and sometimes heartbreaking, and gosh i love it so much??

anyway

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice