fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Make Believe is awesome! It looks like a geode.

• Like x 1
  2. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Oh man I am so lazy with knitting I have finished exactly one beanie hat ever in my life but gods do I want that yarn :P

3. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

woop i missed another one, this is an illustration of a Bible verse I did for my in-laws. bought the pattern but edited the text because the font was awful. and also the translation the pattern maker used was crap so i changed that too! so basically i just used the pattern for the mountains...

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I can't stop cross-stitching robots

Why can't I stop cross-stitching robots

Whirl.png

To feed my ongoing transformers obsession, I've cross-stitched Whirl and the protoform babby from the MTMTE holiday special. It's on tumblr and since I made the pattern for this myself, that's on tumblr too. Originally, I was going to do this as an inset panel for a silly nerdy shoulder bag that I can take to conventions and such, buuuuut even though this was easier than the megatron cross-stitch, it was still a lot of time, and it's so sad putting that much work into a bag when I know how much wear and tear it's going to take. So I made the only reasonable decision: LET'S DO IT TWICE :VVV

Not quite twice. I'm going to ignore the border and just do the window part (which means I have to extend the pattern a few rows up and down to close the circle), and I'm going to try doing it with waste canvas on quilting-weight fabric. I've never used waste canvas before, so this could get... interesting...... And this means I'm saddled with paying for yet another custom framing job, but come on man. It's a robot baby. I need this on display in my apartment.

• Like x 7
  5. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

Wow wow that's gorgeous Spock.

For myself, I made a dress for a wedding. It's the second full piece of clothing I've made.

IMG_20160110_160214.JPG

• Like x 17
  6. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

Is there any cross stitch kit that's best for a starter?

7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Allenna - I think your best bet might be to find some simple pixel art that you like; kits can be kind of expensive. :) As to materials - is there a craft shop near you? Fabric stores will usually have the most basic things (14-count aida cloth, maybe a couple dozen floss colours), but unless the store specifically has a needlecraft section, you probably won't get the selection you want. in which case, ordering online works!

• Like x 1
  8. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

@Ducks that dress is super lovely and you look great *__*

• Like x 1
  9. Ducks

@rats thanks! There are niggling details I wish I'd paid more attention to when I was making it (I had to add darts in the front torso panel and they're uneven, the horsehair braid is a little too conspicuous) but I felt very pretty

10. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

So, I picked up knitting about...two years ago, at this point, I think? I've made myself a couple (small) shawls, a pair of handwarmers, and a pair of socks, as well as two blankets for the cat (one of which was a tester for a larger baby blanket for a coworker's niece). I've also made a couple pieces of clothing for myself: two winter skirts (that don't fit any more, sadly), and a really nice dress that unfortunately popped a side-seam the first time I wore it out in public.

Currently, I'm working on three active projects (and one slowly-progressing, not-sideburnered-really project): a shawl for my sister (which I'm aiming to have done in time to mail out to her in time for her birthday); a fall/winter coat for myself from the Sylvi pattern on Ravelry (which is progressing pretty slowly; I only recently finished the first sleeve, and I'm working on the second sleeve now); and a pair of convertible mittens from leftover yarn from a Christmas gift for a relative's pet.
    The gloves are probably going to take highest priority for a bit, because sister's birthday isn't until the end of May; the coat doesn't have a definite deadline; and this is Nova Scotia, where wind chill is a significant factor, and I don't currently have any nice gloves or mittens that aren't packed away in my father-in-law's basement (which makes them only slightly less inaccessible than they'd be if they were literally on the moon).

• Like x 1
  11. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

@Ducks that's beautiful!

I really want to learn to make & alter clothes but it's too big a commitment of time and money right now :( maybe in a few years' time.

12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

@Allenna I started with really small ones like these. They're about $3-5 at places like joann's and michael's. They come with everything you need, and have directions too.

• Like x 2
  13. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

The fabrics you picked for this look crazy good together!

• Like x 1
  14. Ducks

@theprettiestboy

It was $5 a metre in the upholstery section! Absolute bargain.

• Like x 1
  15. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Oh wow, that is fantastic

16. Ducks

Knitsugijin! I found a thing a lot of you would love (fuck I want one I just can't knit)

[​IMG]

The free pattern is here.

• Like x 5
  17. blue

blue hightown funk you up

!!!! (downloads immediately)

18. Ducks

I've found my next project

[​IMG]

I will keep a look out for suitable fabrics. I don't really like flannel so idk what will be soft enough but also not bank breaking.

19. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Ran into a hitch with the gloves: the pattern I'm using was originally made for a woman with hands way, way bigger than mine. Of course, I realize that it's oversized at the point where I'm starting to do the fingers - it's a convertible mitten, with hobo-glove fingers under the mitten shell. The glove finger should hit at about the first knuckle, if I'm reading things right, and I'm worried that it's going to be so long that I just have the tip of my pinkie finger sticking out.
    Do I frog it and start over? The cuff is a bit longer than I'd like too, now that I'm properly looking at it (thirty rounds long), so frogging would give me the opportunity to reduce it a bit in length and try something I figured out for the thumb gusset decrease. But on the other hand, I'm so far in. What do?

20. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

So I haven't made plushies for a while but it's a thing I like doing so I'm going to make a bunny using this pattern, with a few changes - I'm going to make it tiny, give it lop ears, and due to lack of access to furry fabric and doll joint things it's going to be made from grey fleece with a non-jointed head. I'm going to seek out some proper eyes for it though.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice