fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

2. Leegle

Leegle Electric Beagle-loo

I know this feeling intimately.

... Because I have a cat who is 1) Really good at finding my skeins of expensive yarn and 2) Really good at turning them into tangled messes.

3. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

oh my god aren't cats the worst? i once came home to six skeins strewn around the basement completely shredded! DX (2 alpaca, 1 silk, 2 bamboo and 1 wool)

• Like x 2
  4. Leegle

Leegle Electric Beagle-loo

THEY REALLY ARE. And oh my god yes they always seem to go for the BEST yarn, too. You have no idea how many times I've found my hand-dyed cashmere blends as a tangle of strings! Honestly, if my kitty wasn't so dang cute, she'd be in big trouble!

5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

I finished a sweater! It only took me a year! And then I immediately started another one. And a shawl. And I still have afghans to finish.

But I finished a sweater!

• Like x 7
  6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I'm making these mitts! The construction is cool af! And I'm learning a bunch of new techniques, like the cable cast-on and ways to pick up new stitches and kfb (which i'd somehow avoided learning) and I'm gonna learn a three-needle bind-off and--

• Like x 4
  7. blue

Aaa god fucking damn it I would have sworn I did everything right but I somehow have 73 stitches for step 6 instead of 93

whyyyy

8. Aviari

Holy hell that is a lot of dropped stitches :(((

9. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I know that feel. Did you miss some increases and/or decrease more than you meant to?

10. Aviari

If you're crocheting it's easy to miss stitches on the edges where you turn?

11. blue

I'm knitting, and I think it'd be visible if I'd dropped twenty stitches, but the part of the pattern they were missing from is a circle-ish curve knit from the inside out - lots of increases-on-increases - so if I started with the wrong number it could have snowballed.

I really didn't want to scrap the whole thing and start over, so I more-or-less fixed it with a super bullshit increase row. Might make it sort of topologically weird, but whatever. :D

12. blue

Now I have six extra stitches in this other section!! Why!!!

Ok knitting gods, I've learned my lesson, if I'm making something complicated I won't work on it during my 15-minute breaks at work

13. blue

Quoting myself from Twitter bc I'm hilarious:

I was supposed to add garter stitch rows until they were wide enough for my hands, and I MASSIVELY underestimated the number of rows necessary. The mitt itself was stretchy, but the bind-off at either end was decidedly not and ended up being the limiting factor.

• Like x 1
  14. Aviari

Acquired large box of T-shirt scraps. Turning it into ball of T-shirt yarn for T-shirt rag rug.

• Like x 3
  15. blue

I fixed the slendermitt!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's so prettyyyy

• Like x 13
  16. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I'm making my fourth Owl Potholder with Cascade Eco in this nice lilac purple I used to make the first two potholders. Also adding a headphone adapter the list of things I've used in place of a cable needle (includes crochet hooks, pens, a mechanical pencil, probably a carabiner or something, and of course, a spare circular needle in the wrong size for the pattern but close enough to manage). I'm about halfway done, it's a pretty fast project but I have to keep checking the pattern to make sure I'm on the right row.

17. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I'm currently working on this blanket for my sister and brother in law, and progress keeps stalling bc I keep getting distracted making the pattern look better @___@

also, cat help. that continues to be a thing that's happening.

• Like x 1
  18. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I just got the email reminding me that I signed up to compete in the local country fair's handicrafts section this year

HELP (I haate past me rn.)

I mean I have a plan and a Thing To Make but

ahhhhh I never win ANYTHING and a childhood brought up with an extremely competitive brother and mother has formed anxiety of 'NOPE DO NOT DO THE THING YOU WILL NEVER WIN AT THE THING SO WHAT'S THE POINT' kind and

but I WANT to

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (help someone untangle me slightly idk ask about the thing I'm making does anyone have XP in competing in this kind of thing can you give me tips also has anyone made a patchwork doorstopper before do they know if there are usually particular parameters or)

help

19. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

@lilacsofthedead
    Tell me about the thing you're making please? A patchwork doorstopper? Sounds intriguing. What's the design (aesthetically and mechanically)?

20. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

@EulersBidentity It's gonna look like a little goat-dragon thing, with like a goat head and a sort of cat-dragon body with a long tail and a back ridge that can double as a lifting handle. (The tail also works as a draft excluder so you don't have to shut him outside the room when you're in it, lol)

I don't have any coherent sketches that are coloured in to represent the fabric I'm using, but it's all going to be in cotton-weight and double sewn for strength. I'm definitely using something like dried split peas or beans to weight him, and I'm still deciding if I should make little pouches for both the weighing stuff and the stuffing-stuff, so the actual him can be unstuffed and put in the washing machine if he gets like scuffed or anything. (I said stuff too many times just then.)

I wouldn't be able to zipper or velcro his little head, though, so I'm wondering if I'm just making more work for myself in that thinking. So far I've got the back-ridge pieces cut out and the underbelly - which is sort of 'plated' aka sewn so it looks like seperate pieces but isn't - and I'm trying to fit my head around the side pieces, which I originally designed to look like his forepaws were tucked under him, but now I'm wondering if I might have to simplify because urgh sewing around curves on a machine.

Pictures upcoming when I am less tired and stressed ^^;;;

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice