fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Anomal(eee)

Anomal(eee) Grumblepunk Gremlin

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to work; I'll be sure to post any others of the proposed flock of eldritch angelic entities ^-^

2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Guys I super need help
    I REALLY REALLY REALLY like knitting mittens/gloves/etc
    but I have NO IDEA HOW TO SIZE
    and like...I could probably follow the standard guides of a pattern but !?!?!?!?!?

What measurements do I need?? How do I work out how many stitches I need for each measurement?? oh, my gosh
    //flops over

• Like x 1
  3. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

IME trial & error & lots of frogging? There's probably a better way involving swatches and maths, though.

• Like x 1
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Yeah, swatching would be my suggestion, using your specific needles and yarn and stitch. Measure how many stitches/rows in X in^2 or cm^2 or whatever your preferred measurement is, then take measurements of your hand to determine how many stitches/rows/etc.

• Like x 1
  5. keltka

thank you SO MUCH
    are there any Definitive Measurements I need? I'm making them for someone whose hands are like
    3x my size

6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

The general sizes I see in glove instructions (... I almost said recipes, haha) is kind of what's shown in this diagram:
    [​IMG]
    You want to know the diameter of fingers, how long you want the fingers to be, the width of the palm (probably plus a little bit to account for the fact that it's a 3d shape), distance between fingers and thumb, and diameter of wrist. If someone more experienced with knitting than me wants to weigh in, that would be good too!

I also really like this pattern, because it's very forgiving (as long as you're using the recommended weight yarn, and not worsted weight. I made that mistake once.)

Whoops, I just realized I assumed you were making fingerless gloves! Well, in the case of regular, you'd want to also know the length of the fingers. And for mittens, hmm... They'd probably be about the same as palm width, but with a bit more shaping near the tip? I haven't made mittens before, so I'm not too sure about that.

• Like x 1
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Sewed some geckos onto a pair of jeans for mum's birthday! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I bought the flowers, but the geckos were entirely embroidered from scratch :3)

• Like x 14
  8. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Finished a Bandana Cowl using a wool/alpaca blend, now i'm crocheting a hat with front post stitches, using Royal Alpaca :3 eeeeeee so soft, a good and worthwhile purchase. ive made this pattern before, and with this yarn last year, but i made the crown too big previously. No pic because i'm on my phone which apparently just makes images Huge

• Like x 1
  9. keltka

@Saro THANK YOU SO MUCH HOLY CRAP I might cry tha N K.

10. Ryncoon

Ryncoon Well-Known Member

Greetings, fellow threadpeeps! I'm looking to get started with spinning, but it's very daunting. All these fibers and wheels and such. Could anyone help me sort out what I should be getting, good starting places, etc? For my own specs, I'm a knitter, so yarn that will be good to knit with is a must as a final product. I'm not adverse to putting in extra work to save money, so at least in theory I'm down to start from a raw fleece. And I'm likely going to be getting an angora rabbit or two relatively soon, for the express purpose of fiber (and snuggles!)

• Like x 3
  11. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

• Like x 5
  12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

start with a relatively longhaired, crimpy wool like corriedale. it's fairly cheap and is sold for felting in lots of colors, so that's a good opportunity to experiment with blending and suchlike. longer fibers give you more space to work with before it starts pulling apart, and crimpy fibers hold together better. it's not a super soft wool, so the resulting yarn is best for outerwear or furnishings, but it's hard-wearing too. very good carpet and pillow wool.

expect your first attempt to be completely unusable. you'll probably spin a full skein of lumpy, knotty barf before you get something you can knit with. that's fine! it's a small price to pay for a lifelong skill, and hey, you can ball it up for the core of needle-felting projects.

once you've got the hang of making a relatively even yarn with the crimpy wool, practice plying. wind a center-pull ball and pull from both ends of the ball as you ply. the ball is a panicky little animal. controlling it is a whole nother skill.

after that, move on to finer, shorter fibers if you like. angora rabbit is well down the list, the staple (fiber length) is less than an inch and it's slippery. absolutely do not start with it, you'll get nothing but a headache and a dent in your floor from dropping the spindle. silk 'hankies' are a good intermediate level project, the fiber is extremely fine and slippery but it's continuous, the hankies are made by stretching a whole cocoon over a frame, so it's not going to keep parting on you. good way to learn to spin laceweight.

personally, i really enjoy spinning vast quantities of very dense, durable yarn for carpets and blankets; if you find yourself feeling the same, look into mill ends and surplus fleece and rovings, which are very cheap, get good at dyeing, and learn to navajo-ply. instead of plying a two-strand from the end of the ball, you ply a three-strand by making continuous loops in your single. it's tricky, but makes a super durable yarn -- like you use in navajo rugs, funnily enough! -- and allows you to do long color changes simply by mixing your wools rather than having to dye a long piece of yarn.

most of all, have fun! screwing up is part of the process!

• Like x 7
  13. albedo

albedo metasperg

@jacktrash You make that sound so. fun. I'm feeling horribly enabled right now.

• Like x 6
  14. jacktrash

*enable enable enable*

it IS fun, you can keep your hands busy while watching cartoons, get fluffs all over everything, and make yarns!

• Like x 2
  15. albedo

albedo metasperg

I just got some roving and a drop spindle at the ren fair last weekend, so I'm going to try! :D

Carpets and blankets are totally my bag. I'm valiantly resisting the urge to make a loom.

• Like x 3
  16. jacktrash

hey, if you get into navajo style, you don't even need a loom, just two broomsticks and a bit of rope!

• Like x 1
  17. albedo

albedo metasperg

... really?

You enabler. o_o

• Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

i mean you want some way to hold those bars in place but

[​IMG]

you could use a doorframe, porch railing, whatever. you essentially sew your warp onto two poles, then tension those two poles by attaching them with rope to something rigid. for a small project, you could attach one end to a doorknob and the other to your waist.

• Like x 4
  19. VintageBear

VintageBear Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am making fat crocheted birds. The big chicken needs wings and feet, but these are three I am making for my grandma! :3

• Like x 13
  20. jacktrash

oh no those are so cute :U

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice