fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

You guys were totally right, darker is better
    (Although wow, the light is catching it at a weird angle here, it's not actually this bright)
    IMG_20160930_014010.jpg

• Like x 4
  2. Boots

Boots Cats. Boots. Cats. bootsandcatsandbootsand...

Ugh you guys are all so talented and I am a potato who never finishes projects because of a lack of stick-to-it-iveness T_T

More on topic, I'm totally making this once I have the right color thread, because my partners wife will get a kick out of it and I never know what to get her for Christmas!

• Like x 3
  3. theprettiestboy

Oh man I love it

• Like x 1
  4. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

This! I learned to cross stitch using those little kits. And they're small enough that you don't even /need/ hoops. They come with everything. Directions (including how to cross stitch), thread, needle, fabric, and a little frame. I highly recommend them. And they're usually ~$5 or so at places like Michaels.

• Like x 2
  5. albedo

albedo metasperg

[​IMG]

BEHOLD

• Like x 18
  6. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner sock patterns made with sock yarn? I was looking at the Tin Can Knits one, cuz it's been recommended to me, but it uses DK.

• Like x 1
  7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

... I'm having a strange feeling of deja vu, as if maybe I asked this exact question in this thread sometime in the past...

Edit: Whoops.
    image.png

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

So, whats the best way to learn knitting? Keeping in mind I have all the equipment already because mom knits, she's just not the best teacher.

9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I taught myself from videos on YouTube and made a garter stitch scarf or three. Then I got bored of making scarves and started learning new stitches and trying more adventurous projects, just by looking up tutorials online. Craft/yarn stores also sometimes have teaching sessions or classes or knitting groups where you can learn.

Edit: starting out, I'd recommend medium needles and plain worsted weight nonfancy yarn.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Like x 1
  10. theprettiestboy

worsted or aran weight is nice to start with, there are a lot of nice easy patterns that use it and it's big enough to see the stitches. I'd suggest wood or bamboo needles rather than metal, but that's largely a personal preference thing

for patterns I'd suggest a simple hat, they're faster to make than a scarf and they teach you a lot of skills

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

>>; Oops, I accidentally a knitting season.

Attached Files:

• Like x 9
  12. albedo

albedo metasperg

So... patches are nice! I have access to an embroidery machine! But advertising Kintsugi is a little scary because it's very personal. So uh.

Y'all know those awful tattoos that are ""my name in Japanese"" (lol actually it says pork chop)? It occurs to me that putting things in Japanese could also provide plausible deniability.

Would it be relevant to anyone's interests if I figured out how to make a 金継ぎ patch?

• Like x 12
  13. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

that sounds super cool

• Like x 3
  14. albedo

albedo metasperg

• Like x 9
  15. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Oh man that sounds utterly cool. Color palette suggestion: a dark grey fabric, and either white-flower-gold-text or the other way around

• Like x 4
  16. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

That sound super cool and I would want the hell out of that patch. No idea what I'd put it on, but I want it.

• Like x 5
  17. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

18. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yessss. Excellent plan. :D

Okay! I'll see if I can mock things up, and then figure out how to program the embroidery machine.

• Like x 2
  19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I like @wixbloom's palette suggestion, I like the crest!

• Like x 1
  20. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i would also want the hell put of that patch, which reminds me ive been "working on" (read: forgetting about) this patched vest thing for over a year

color suggestion: maybe some blue/purple to reference the aesthetic of the forum itself?

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice