fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

It's almost halloween! and I'm gonna be working a bunch, so that means I need some work appropriate spooky accessories. I don't have appropriately spooky fabric, so I'm gonna need to diy even more than usual. I'm thinking I need a bowtie with embroidered skulls on it, possibly wearing flower crowns. possibly also one with spiderwebs.

• Like x 4
  2. theprettiestboy

I have an old bag that I love. I made it out of some sturdy pants that had seen better days and didn't fit, and I've been carrying it around for years now. Over time the areas around the strap and a few other points have started to wear away and holes have formed. There's still a lot to do, but today I sat down and fixed some of the structural damage with reweaving. It's kind of like the effect of kintsugi, but with cloth and thread.

IMG_20161013_165444~2.jpg

• Like x 16
  3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I like the colors you chose for that.

• Like x 1
  4. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Wow, that's lovely!

• Like x 1
  5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

how ... how ... how do. pls tell

• Like x 3
  6. theprettiestboy

This is a pretty good explanation! I just used plain weave in different colors for the warp and weft. You can totally play around with different weaving designs too.

• Like x 4
  7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

aaaaaah this makes sense. ty!!

• Like x 1
  8. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Time for another photo dump!

My cousin wanted a cow made out of string and since I couldn’t do it with the piece she gave me (a one foot long piece of pink string), I made her this one! I still haven’t given it to her yet, but I’ll update this post with her reaction (if I remember, lol).
    [​IMG]

My friend saw dragonscale gloves on facebook and said I should make them for my etsy shop. I don’t think I’ll make them to sell, but I made my friend a pair! Edit: fixed these pictures so that they're the finished ones!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

POKEMON!!! I’m gonna start making pokemon and pokeballs for my etsy shop. After like 5 test goes, I really like how this one came out!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    • Like x 5
  9. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I am currently working on a licorice bullet skirt (out of yarn I originally bought for...basically the same project, except for someone else who I'm no longer on speaking terms with). The pattern I'm using is Interesting, in that it lets you self-size really easily, but also maths. The math is the worst part, honestly, but it wasn't as difficult as I was worried it'd be? (Especially when I had to do it a second time.)

10. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

So @Anomal(eee) insisted that she needed something knit with the motif from the icon @jacktrash picked for @Mister Jethro (turns out it's available on Ravelry here, but I didn't figure that out until after I'd painstakingly charted out the stitches from the icon photograph.)

IMG_20161026_224040574.jpg

It's going to be a purse, eventually. (Hopefully by Saturday, for our local Samhain party.)

• Like x 5
  11. Anomal(eee)

Anomal(eee) Grumblepunk Gremlin

*vibrates with excitement*

12. theprettiestboy

Oh dude that looks so cool!

• Like x 1
  13. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

• Like x 7
  14. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

• Like x 7
  15. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Oh man, I've never been so excited about a reupholstery fabric

1031161137~2.jpg

And the chairs I'm doing this to are garbage picked, so I can make them as tacky as I want! I'm a LITTLE regretful I didn't go the full tacky and get the blue and pink striped faux fur, but this is still pretty good and the fur is a little less long. This is a project that will cost me $12 total, so, I mean. Hard to beat that. And if I keep an eye on the dumpsters, there's nothing too day I can't repeat the experiment bigger, better, and tackier!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    • Like x 5
  16. spockandawe

I reupholstered three chairs today!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My aunt garbage picked this and meant to refurbish it, but she didn't have time so she handed it off to me instead! And I LOVE that fabric/paint combination. I'm pretty sure it's not mine forever, and I shouldn't try to hold into it because I am just Out Of Space in my apartment, but I had a good time with this (but my god, there were SO MANY SURFACES to paint on this thing)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These were garbage picked from right outside my apartment, so my immediate reaction was FAUX FUR CHAIRS, and I didn't even have to feel bad about spending any money except on the fabric.... which was about half off anyways, so I'm really pleased with this whole thing. I kind of wish I'd gone the full tacky (as opposed to like... 95% tacky) with the faux fur, and there was this bright pink and blue striped fur I had my eye on, but it was a LOT longer than this, and I've never worked with fur before, so I gave it a pass. But I had a LOT of fun, so I'm going to totally do it if I have the opportunity again :DDDD (edit: guess who just bought two goodwill chairs in dire need of a reupholstering)

I'm not planning to hold onto these, they're destined to be presents for the first person to come by who thinks they might like them. I've got two younger cousins getting ready to get their first adult apartments, plus I'm going to be seeing some old friends soon, so I'm perched on top of these things like OuO

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like x 8
  17. spockandawe

Whoops, one last reupholstery post, because I am SO pleased with myself right now :D

1103161252~2.jpg 1105161247~2.jpg

• Like x 7
  18. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

It's hideous, I love it.

• Like x 2
  19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I want to pet those chairs so bad, omg.

• Like x 1
  20. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

If I wanted to throw money at someone to knit me a thing would this be the right place to ask?

The tl;dr: I want a hat and possibly gloves, (no individual fingers required because i know those are a pain in the ass, but i want those kind that convert between fingers covered and uncovered. Smartphone gloves don't work with my screen protector.) everything for sale in local stores is shitty acrylic. No real time limit but January would be nice, I just am not sure if that's enough time for anyone to complete such a project.

I figured I could poke around Etsy but it might be nice to put money in someone's pocket here if I could.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice