fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

It's the same principle as darning - http://www.wikihow.com/Darn-a-Sock.

What weight are the slippers in? Like, if you have any leftovers of the original yarn, that'd obviously be best. Other than that I think it should be mostly fine as long as your slippers are already as felted and shrunk as you're going to make them.

2. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Fingering weight. There is some of the original yarn left over, although it's going to be a pain to get it to match the pattern and I was planning on using one of the skeins for a pair of slippers for my mom-in-law. (I used two different colours and did a a stupid pattern.) The embroidery thread looks about the same weight?

3. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

I painted some shoes!
    IMG_20170514_164941~2.jpg

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 7
  4. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

@theprettiestboy oh my gosh, those are beautiful! I kinda wanna kintsugi some shoes now

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

my MMO is down for maintenance for 2 days so TIME TO CATCH UP ON ALL THE SEWING PROJECTS I'VE BEEN NEGLECTING

I made little bags to keep the inside of my backpack organized (one is for cellphone chargers and stuff, the other is for meds etc). I have about 5 billion fabric samples that my school used to give away for free that are the perfect size to just fold in half and make pencil case-size bags out of.

bag1.png
    bag2.png

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 7
  6. turtleDove

I have finished the shawl for my sister's birthday! And did it in time to get it blocked and mailed out to her, too!

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. turtleDove

Shawl's now blocking. I was a derp and went "hey, the best place where there's a lot of open floor space and it won't get messed with by cats or interfere with foot traffic is the patio outside!" so I'm gonna be checking on it in about half hour stints to make sure it's doing okay and hopefully get it in before nightfall. Depends on how fast it dries, I guess. (If I really need to, I can figure out how to get it inside and I could put it on the bedroom floor, it's just going to be a hassle.)

• Like x 5
  8. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

note to self: knitting with non-superwash wool has fast become one of my favorite sensory calming things. the smell of lanolin is just. so homey.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Crocheting is such a mystery to me, but I like ripple afghans so I struggle through

• Like x 2
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

CROCHET
    0530170016_crop_747x595.jpg
    Ignore my fishbelly-white legs

• Like x 8
    • Winner x 2
  11. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I needed something small, quick and cute to add to my mum's birthday present, so...
    WIN_20170604_20_30_21_Pro.jpg WIN_20170604_20_30_23_Pro.jpg WIN_20170604_20_30_26_Pro.jpg

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 3
  12. nobodyspeak

nobodyspeak put me to your lips

I do plenty fibre arts. Here is a current embroidery floss bracelet project for a dear one:

IMG_20170604_140908289~2.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 5
  13. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

shows up 2 years late with starbucks

i do some cross stitching! actually just picked up the hobby recently but already have plans for like a bunch of projects.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first two of those were the first two i ever did and you can tell because the stitch direction is all over the place... the third was the first time i actually tried to keep my stitch direction consistent but it also called for lazy-daisy stitches which i for some reason really struggled with.

everything i've done so far has been kits. i like them just because i don't have to go and get my own stuff and figure it all out but a lot of kits you can find in craft stores are kind of lacking in quality.

right now i'm in the middle of a kit that's some wolves and not really feeling it. idk why but i've been really dragging my feet through getting it done and honest to god might just toss the damn thing. i'm actually taking a break from it to do these two kits (1, 2), they're fairly small designs and should probably only take me a handful of hours, then i'm sending them out as gifts. there's also at least like 15 other things i want to eventually get from that seller, they have a ton of cute guinea pig and rabbit kits that are just killing me with cuteness.

i already have like a massive future-log of stuff i'm planning. i have a bunch of riolis kits i need to do, all are animals. i have supplies coming in the mail to do this big calendar that was an old stitch-along from last year. also planning some future holiday gifts, likely this ravenclaw house crest for my sister, this wizard of oz satsuma street design, and then i'll need to figure out some things to make for my dad, considering doing just some geometric designs.

i also have vague plans to get into blackwork, since backstitching is my favorite part of cross stitching. i bought supplies and everything for multiple patterns on this freebies page here. planning on doing the 'box of delights' pattern on there in blue and white, also got a bookmark shape of aida to practice some small blackwork from their pandora's box pattern on, and some pieces of aida and evenweave to do the itznik tiles on... but at this point the blackwork stuff is all on the backburner for me as i finish up my cross stitch gifts, then finish up some kits.

i feel like the next natural step in my craft frenzy after the blackwork is just freehand embroidery, and then maybe after that when i have an actual house with actual space i'll get into quilting or something.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
  14. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I may be attempting to construct a hoarde of hamsterbeans to send out into the world to spread the hamsterbean agenda. Only got bodies thus far but I'm working on it.
    ETA: actual picture
    WIN_20170605_23_02_08_Pro.jpg

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 3
  15. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

When I used to do counted-thread cross-stitch, I liked the kits available from Eva Rosenstand (in Copenhagen, but they have dealers in many countries). They're incredibly detailed, with a subtle palette. The charts use geometric symbols for each color, so you might have a butterfly wing that's barely an inch across and has eight shades of blue. I found that planning out the order of stitches so that all the crosses go the same way, and all the return stitches on the back are vertical, was a very meditative practice.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. Aniseed

Aniseed Well-Known Member

finished the dog kit, took longer than i thought it would just because a lot of color variety, but still fun! a little miffed because the package picture did not look exactly like the finished product and it seemed to be intentional.. areas that clearly had backstitching on the cover image just didn't have any markings in the instructions. i left it til the end to see if i like what i got out of it better than the cover, and for the most part i did, but i did improvise a bit more face fluff and the nose shine. kind of tempted to go back and add some small marks for nostrils but i'm not sure i will.

[​IMG]

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

It super frustrates me when the package and finished product differ like that. I really enjoy the way backstitching looks, so that's part of the decision making process when I'm picking a kit.

18. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Here's an origami inspired vest (pattern by Cindy Newhouse) that I began last winter with an eye to wearing it in early spring. Well, I got discouraged in March and set it aside. A knitting friend gave me u-can-do-it encouragement a few weeks ago and I did it! It fits. I'm dumbfounded. The only thing is that now it'll be a few months before I can actually wear it. :) The yarn is fingering weight AndeanSun 25% alpaca in grey.

Seater reduced 01.jpg Sweater reduced 02.jpg Sweater reduced 03.jpg

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 4
  19. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

That is Beautiful! I love the design

20. Ink

Ink Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have an entire magazine full of minimalist Japanese aesthetics inspired patterns. I want to knit them all, but at the rate I'm going it will take me 11 years. LOL

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice