fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I finished That Damned Bird Shawl
    pictures forthcoming later, @Kit is a literal saint, and now I'm off to make myself cry with This Bullshit

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Knitting is a fun and relaxing hobby

1015171550a_crop_746x994.jpg

(◕‿◕)

• Witnessed x 9
  3. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

So - quilt-as-you-go weighted blanket is...currently in a carry-on suitcase that I hauled with me from Ontario, and successfully did not lose (despite anxiety about that happening, because of crowded overhead bins). I do have a walking foot for my sewing machine, thanks to my mom getting me that before I left. As soon as I actually have space to work with, I can get started on piecing the thing together; currently, my working space (also known as "the top of my bureau") is full of a whole bunch of stuff that got shoved there while I was gone. So I'm gonna need to do some tidying and reorganizing first.

Mom loved her convertible gloves, and I figured out (all over again) how to do houndstooth pattern, playing around with a scarf in pink and black/dark blue (the colourway is "abyssal heather"). Since getting home, I have successfully untangled a shawl and skirt that have been put away for nearly a year on account of being too tangled to work with until that was fixed; I also frogged the skirt and restarted it.

The skirt's originally from the Licorice Bullet pattern on Ravelry, but I'm stripping out the lace panels and doing a houndstooth pattern instead; I originally planned to do it in houndstooth with lace, but that...doesn't work quite so well when you're doing yarnovers (it might've looked better after blocking, but it looked bizarre and awful on the needles). I also redid the math for the caston, because I've lost a lot of weight since I originally did those calculations. (The original caston numbers probably would've worked, since I'm working with a linen blend, but I'm doing eyelets and a belt to go with it - so it's workable if it turns out a little big.)

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

* me, who barely has time to work on one project *: * browses ravelry and adds a bunch of patterns to queue *

• Agree x 5
  5. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Some projects I'm working on in my fiber class! I'll add finished images as I have them haha
    The first is a felted tunic/shawl thing using dyed cheesecloth as a base, over which I felted roving, yarn, and sweater bits
    Just the one photo for now because I am terrible at remembering to take them but this is about a third of the full length of the fabric
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    The second is going to be either a cape or a dress depending, but the idea with both of these is to use the whole bolt of fabric with no waste.
    Test of the shibori dyeing technique we used, mine is the purple one second from the left (or I guess the bottom) IMG_3816.JPG Then the actual fabric, which was a similar purple-black, clamped between wooden blocks and tied up and scrunched at the ends to make an interesting resist pattern. You dip it in chemicals to remove the dye and then add more dye on top of it.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Then the fabric after I removed all of the resists!
    IMG_3815.JPG

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  6. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Finished versions of above projects! There were professional photos taken at some point during the show (with my actual model, who had to leave by the point the photos I have were taken so I am wearing my own creation whoops) I'm wearing the silk cloak thing and my friend is in the felt.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.09.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.10.06 PM.png

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  7. turtleDove

The skirt is living up to its name of "spite skirt", because the cast-on keeps twisting. Which would not be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to knit this bastard in the round, and I do not have the geometry necessary to wear a mobius strip. The fact that I have frogged and restarted from this particular skein umpteen times probably does not help at all, in terms of the yarn not rolling on me.

I'm going to give it one last go at getting it knitted straight, which will include redoing each stitch along the length as I start the first row, just to make sure nothing's rolled or twisted, and if that still doesn't do the trick, I'm just going to throw in the towel and knit the bastard flat and sew it together at the end.

• Witnessed x 3
  8. turtleDove

...okay, the spite skirt has managed to twist at where I joined it and I didn't realize this until I was about four rows in. So this time, I'm going to knit it flat for at least part of the waistband; that should give me enough material to work with that it literally cannot roll without me noticing when I join it. (And if not, I frog back and knit the whole damn thing flat.)

• Witnessed x 3
  9. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

High Plains Drifter shawl is complete, yaaay. Not blocked tho

20171026_165952.jpg 20171026_185346.jpg

• Winner x 7
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Made these to cosplay nepeta like 5 years ago, am actually using them as things to keep my hands warm before I ever use them for their intended purpose :')

1027171834_crop_747x900.jpg

I have to remake the left one, because a hole in one of the fingers is becoming too big to ignore

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  11. turtleDove

Okay, I might have managed to get the spite skirt joined without it twisting on me. It's looking good so far anyways.

• Like x 5
  12. turtleDove

Spite-skirt status update: properly joined, but I'm needing to rework the houndstooth pattern because as written, it's meant for being knitted flat...which means I'm gonna need to translate and sort out some stuff to get it to look right when knitting it in the round. The first row works fine, and I've sorted out the second row; rows three and four are yet to be sorted, but once that's done (and written out so I don't forget wtf I'm doing), I just need to repeat and make sure I don't mess up the increases until I'm happy with the length.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Winner x 1
  13. turtleDove

Houndstooth pattern successfully reworked! And the increases are going well so far. I have, however, paused work on the skirt because holy balls, the slate floor in the main area is cold as fuck and I need some new slippers cos as a bear of very little brain when just-woken-up by cat who wants breakfast, I cannot reliably remember to put socks on before leaving my room (and I don't like wearing socks into bed, unless I have to). The slippers are knitting up pretty quickly, though, and it's a good use for the worsted thrift store yarn that wandered home. (It's good yarn - just ended up in the thrift store because someone was clearing out grandma's stash, I suspect.)

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
  14. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I decided to knit myself a hat using horrible novelty yarn that happens to be also incredibly soft
    It sheds like a motherfucker, has no stretch whatsoever because the weave is so loose, and the bobble is held on by spit and prayers, but haha I knitted something for my goddamn self for once!
    'Scuse the awful webcam picture
    WIN_20171123_19_37_29_Pro.jpg

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 4
  15. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

4B877C73-AA0F-4A88-A17E-153EF567BB56.jpeg
    I picked up a new hobby and I blame you guys. It’s really relaxing stabbing something with a needle over and over though. (As long as that thing isn’t my own finger, because ow)

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Do clothing alterations go here?

• Like x 4
  17. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I finished this embroidery project, but forgot to take a picture of the final product before I gave it to my friend.

Here's my last progress shot:
    upload_2018-1-5_8-45-5.jpeg
    It's hemmed all fancy, with beads along the bottom and a backing put on via that iron-on sticky stuff, and a wire in the top to keep it stiff. I'm very pleased with how it turned out; I just wish I'd remembered a picture. But E really liked it, so that's all that matters really.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
  18. TwoBrokenMirrors

i got a needlefelting kit for xmas so i tried it out. with some help from the crafty lady who gave it to me in the first place, heh, and deciding to make some of my own creative decisions.

DSC_0031.JPG
    Not a model, the camera just turned on by itself DSC_0032.JPG
    Front view DSC_0033.JPG
    This is his Bad Side because his mane doesn't hide how lopsided he got. But it does show off more of his construction

• Like x 6
    • Winner x 3
  19. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

20180206_215641-1209x1612.jpg
    I'm making a plush of a friend's doggo. This is my progress so far.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  20. TwoBrokenMirrors

More needle felting. This time I just started with fuckall plan and as a result produced... ??? something. a thing.
    DSC_0044.JPG

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice