fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

20180208_010639-1209x1612.jpg 20180208_010650-1209x1612.jpg

I finished it! My friend is gonna pick it up this weekend and he's very excited to see it in person!

• Winner x 11
    • Like x 1
  2. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

(hello if this is a bad place to ask for advice pls point me to the better place because I can't find it, anyway, does anyone have advice...on how to do plushie hair?? I'm not crocheting or knitting it, just. sewing it together out of fabric. but idk how to do like....hair that needs a Particular Shape while also making it Soft and Huggable Texture? help please)

3. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I've seen people use felt cut into hair-like shapes and sewn on, you could also use yarn!

• Like x 1
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

:o
    how do the yarn one?

5. Alaspooralice

I've seen yarn that's textured like hair at Joann's fabrics! You could probably sew or glue the yarn on the head, or maybe like holes in the material of the head and tie knots on the underside? Im not sure how helpful my advice is since I've only done crochet plushes. Good luck tho!

• Like x 1
  6. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Sew it into the head with a tapestry needle! I've also seen doll customizers brush out acrylic yarn to make hair :)

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

A bit late to the party, had to dig up the video -- but yarn wefts are a thing used in doll customization. You can also root it in if you're feeling like punishing yourself, or have too much time on your hands.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. NuclearVampire

NuclearVampire The teeniest horrorterror

Hey, does anyone have a way to anchor yarn floats on the back of purls? I've found a ton for anchoring them on the back of knitting, but this part of the design is purled, and what worked for knit stitches is really not working for behind purls.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  9. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

tfw you realize that you've basically just written your own pattern for the thing you're knitting, because it only has a loose relationship with the pattern you originally started working from. Should I just...write this thing up properly, and put it up on Ravelry, when I'm done knitting this skirt? I mean, I assume I'm probably not the only person in the world who will want to do a houndstooth-patterned item that needs to be knitted in the round, but it's probably still a fairly niche thing to need.

(Honestly, the only bits that are making me waffle on whether to just write it up properly and figure out how to post it on Ravelry are that 1) it did start from someone else's pattern and just...gradually morphed into something that's not really going to look at all the same, and I don't actually know what the ethics of that are, 2) I haven't quite figured out how to do the increases on this in a way that makes me happy with it, and 3) I've never written up a pattern before, so I'm not quite sure how to do this or what the expectations would be.)

• Like x 4
  10. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

Finished a pair of Link gauntlets for a friend. She wanted different colors and just the triforce of wisdom added.

IMG_20180214_234142.jpg

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  11. Alaspooralice

I'd say upload it. Basically all patterns are based off of other patterns.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  12. turtleDove

I think I've managed to sort out the problem I was having with the increases! tl;dr: houndstooth stitch is Obnoxious and wants you to do 3 stitches in one colour and 1 stitch in a second colour, which means that adding in an extra stitch can throw the whole thing right out of balance if you're not careful about where you place that new stitch. Putting the make-one increase at the start of the 3-stitch set means that I can fold the increase in where it'll go unnoticed (because there's supposed to be more than one stitch of the same colour there) and it means that I can pretty easily add in as many increases as I need to.

(On the other hand: adding in more than one increase close together seems to still make the whole stitch pattern go wonky, but ideally I won't need to put two increases near each other. Ideally.)

• Informative x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. turtleDove

Frogged it back to the first set of the pattern, and the increase is slightly weird in how it interacts with the pattern, but it sorta looks like I might have dropped a stitch somewhere. If I really, really have to, I can probably do a round where it's just one colour or even frog back to the start of the pattern (instead of where the increase row starts) and sort it out that way.

• Witnessed x 3
  14. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm trying to make Eridan's scarf for my partner—help?
    so far the advice I've gotten is:
    - make it a tube scarf
    - in stockinette stitch
    - maybe use this yarn: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/CotLin_DK_Yarn__D5420162.html
    • (unsure about colors for this yarn, current suggestions are hydrangea/rocket or rocket/rainstorm)

seriously, though, I'm bad at color choices and deciding how to do Fandom Things

15. turtleDove

Looking up Eridan's scarf for visual references, and it looks more like a dark blue/lighter blue striping to me? With both of them being on the darker end of the scale, but lighter than his pants. So hydrangea/raindrop could definitely work, or if you want to go with darker shades of blue, nightfall/planetarium could also work. I'm not sure that I'd go with rocket, since that's a grey which has blue undertones rather than being a blue colourway in its own right.

• Useful x 1
  16. keltka

@turtleDove thank you!! I'm going to run the color combo options by my partner to see what they'd prefer

• Like x 1
  17. turtleDove

I'm glad I could help! :D

• Like x 1
  18. keltka

final decision: nightfall/planetarium!

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

my favorite comfy flannel shirt had a hole so I did some more decorative darning

0304181256c~2.jpg

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 2
  20. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I'm trying to make a lolita dress (actually a skirt and vest) and have an idea of a pattern already drawn up. What I need to know is what kind of fabric to make it out of. Most of what I've made before has been LARPing clothes, and my usual go-tos are cotton, mid-weight linen, and whatever's cheap and fun on sale for goofy stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice