fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

it's annoying, but if you google the yarn name they said they used it'll tell you the weight on any decent yarn-selling website

• Agree x 1
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

You would think :/ I'm working off the third What Would Madame Defarge Knit book and I have yet to find a yarn weight info...
    All the patterns are by different knitters, though, so I was kind of ??? like, it didn't make much sense??
    According to the book it's up on Ravelry (I checked ASAP) so I'll probably grab yarn sizes from there while Griping about it

3. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Most of the patterns I get off of Ravelry list the specific yarn they use, along with the weight and kind of yarn. And I think the book I have for Pride & Prejudice knitwear is similar: it lists the specific yarn that the knitter used, and what weight and type of yarn it was so that you can swap in something else.

4. keltka

I would feel like ravelry had spoiled me if it weren't for the fact that that literally the other book I borrowed at the same time did include all the stuff :|
    but yeah I DID find the stuff on ravelry thank goodness @_@ it's gonna be a pain in the butt to compare but hey at least I have something to compare against

• Winner x 1
  5. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Ravelry is a life saver for that stuff, for sure.

• Agree x 1
  6. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

did some applique yesterday! I'm really happy with how it turned out. This is the heraldry of my fighting company for a larp.

[​IMG]

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 1
  7. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

was thinking about fashion and going back through my clothing tag on tumblr and now the devil in my brain is telling me to make the gloves i planned out ages back and never made, never mind the fact that i have studying to do, so i guess i live here now.
    on a different note: anyone advice for simple embroidery patterns? i want to get into it, i think i still have some scrap fabric and a couple of hoops lying around, but i'm not sure where to start exactly.

• Witnessed x 3
  8. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Cross stitching, fill stitching, or other patterns? I have a little experience with cross and fill stitching. Not so much with the rest of it

9. keltka

I was more than 100+ rows into a triangle lace shawl (the mermaid shawl on ravelry) that has a yarn over every other stitch in every other row
    when my needles slipped out
    it is BASICALLY impossible for me to figure out what I lost and where I lost it so it's ribbit time
    I'm..............upset, but also? so fucking glad I don't have to keep working with the pattern it had NO trackable flow for me

• Witnessed x 4
  10. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I chose purple velvet for this embroidery project because it is the most Taako fabric, but it is So tightly woven and pulling embroidery ribbon through is so difficult.

• Witnessed x 4
  11. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

So yesterday i (mostly) sewed this cape - i need to put in some finishing touches, but i got the main part done for Halloween! Pics when it's not 3am.

Also, capelet I've got the materials for but for which I haven't drawn out the pattern yet: stained glass design in light floaty silk (from salvaged scraps to old ties to scarves found in thrift stores), backed by slightly heavier silk in light, creamy colors (bolt I've had for over ten years and done nothing with). It's gonna be great.

• Winner x 6
  12. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Does anyone have a beginners guide to knitting a scarf handy? I kinda know how to knit, but it's been years since I did anything last.

13. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Unless you have specifics... I would think that it should be 20-30 stitches wide and take the entire ball... I could ask my mom about the BEST cast-on and cast-off tomorrow... Oh, that's for bandages that use crochet-cotton and size-1 needles... (something about commercial bandages that were needed for burn-units couldn't go through an autoclave.) We did use a cast-on-cast-off where it came to a point on each end...

14. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

uh like

the most basic pattern ever is knit one row, purl second row, repeat until it's as long as you want?

and i have a couple knit/purl patterns if you want something a little more complicated?

15. keltka

if you want something that's like "ok this is a bit of a challenge but still doable" then the irish hiking scarf is one of the best starter scarves I've ever done
    cabling can be a little tricky but the main thing to focus on is getting something to hold the stitches! I use the broken tip of a crochet hook, but there are some options for needles and such!!

16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

this from tin can knits is a really comprehensive guide with links to tutorials built in!

• Like x 2
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Snapchat-206867111.jpg

Its this pattern although in c h u n k y yarn so its not gonna be as light

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  18. TwoBrokenMirrors

i'm knitting a penis scarf

• Winner x 11
    • Informative x 1
  19. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

well you can't just say that and not show any pics, cmon :D

• Agree x 3
  20. TwoBrokenMirrors

I DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD PICS YET I'M ONLY like halfway thru the ballsack and just realised i made an oopsie.
    but okay here's what i've got so far (google photos link)
    ft. hideous yarn tangle that happens every time i do colourwork because i can't knit with either hand (yet?)
    the oopsie is the stray strand of pink running thru the black in the middle because i didn't start a new strand; i am not ripping back so i'll just snip it out in post and tie extra lengths on to weave in. it's fluffy yarn, it's fine

ETA: the pattern is here on ravelry (can provide non-ravelry links) and here are the matching mittens, for those who want to create penii of their own

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    • Winner x 4
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice