fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

HHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA THE FUZZY YARN OMFG

• Agree x 2
  2. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

listen i wasn't gonna
    knit a penis
    and not make it fuzzy

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

that's hilarious, and yours is astonishingly hairy.

• Winner x 1
  4. TwoBrokenMirrors

• Winner x 2
  5. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

Perfect I love it

• Like x 1
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Needle felting!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  7. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

Christmas present for Mom: double knit Millennium Falcon potholder

Front:

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

• Winner x 6
  8. jacktrash

that's super fab! do you have a chart link you could share?

• Agree x 1
  9. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

• Winner x 3
  10. jacktrash

• Like x 2
  11. jacktrash

https://abbigli.com/blog/how-to-knit-an-estonian-spiral

something about the translation here is unutterably cute to me.

somehow i actually find "two facial loops, one yarn-over, the two facial loops together" to be easier to parse than K2, YO, K2tog.

• Winner x 4
  12. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

for my bff's christmas present, i made her a crocheted succulent garden!

IMG_6745.JPG IMG_6744.jpg

the succulents ended up kind of... leaning... because i stuffed the "dirt" a little too full and it kind of pushes them all outward. still, i'm pretty proud of how it came out!

• Winner x 15
  13. jacktrash

aaaa that's so cute!

14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I'm putting serious thought into unravelling the pair of socks I knitted myself forever ago, back when I started knitting, and turning that yarn into a hexapuff or something because it turns out that making socks with acrylic yarn is A Mistake. Specifically, they have no stretch to them at all. Which makes getting them on just obnoxious enough that I don't like wearing them.

And then replacing them with some nicer socks, possibly knee socks. I really want some good knee-high socks and I've got a lot of sock-weight wool to work with.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  15. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

So I want to get into/back into fiber arts. I used to (try to) sew but I had fuckall resources and was largely self taught. Thanks grandma. Also my hands are fucky, more so than they were then so it might be painful to get back into. I got interested in embroidery but see fucky hands.

Maybe knitting? I like touching soft yarn, I get distracted by it every time I'm in a craft store. Can someone maybe point me to absolute beginner resources, and maybe some beginner projects that are cool? A lot of beginner projects I find at the stores are. Fucking. Baby scarves. Kitsch. Soccer mom shit.

• Like x 2
  16. TwoBrokenMirrors

I can't point you to super-beginner online resources because I randomly googled 'how to knit' and picked something up off there, plus some in-person tutoring from various people, and a book (can give you the title if you really want)
    but the best resource for finding patterns, which is filterable by difficulty, includes free patterns and paid ones, and has a very thorough search function generally, is ravelry
    it also has forums, though i've never been on them, with apparently quite the lively community, where you might be able to find some good beginner resources maybe?

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. jacktrash

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i also would like to point out that at least for my variety of fucky hands knitting is better than the fancy fingergymnastics and exercises the doctors showed me bc i tend to overextend/over exert with those but knitting just gives me easy exercise (when I remember to do it)

• Informative x 2
  19. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

For a first knitting project I recommend a hat! They work up pretty quick so it gives you instant gratification, and there are a lot of really cool simple ones. Ravelry is great for finding patterns, and you can sort them by difficulty.

With fucky hands, going with a larger size of thread/needle is helpful, and i personally find bamboo and wood needles mess me up less than metal.

• Informative x 2
  20. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

seconding hats! if hats aren't your thing though, or you're not sure about working in the round, headbands/earwarmers are heckin excellent
    I've also done a lot of starter dishtowels and mug cozies! good way to churn out a couple readymade gifts and/or practice things

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice