fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

whoa. that is spectacular.

• Agree x 4
  2. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Ooo, hey does anyone have Neat scarf patterns? That can be used with any old stripped/variegated yarn?

I get bored with scarves very easily because they're too repetitive, but I wanna make a bunch for Reasons. I don't wanna buy new yarn for it either, just use up what I have.

I've looked and looked on Ravelry and either I start something I think is neat and I get bored, or the more neat thing require specific colors. :( I also get bored looking after just a few pages, though so that's on me lol

I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had one off the top of their head.

3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I like this one, its a 9 row diagonal rib sort of dealie. I made it in a variegated yarn and thought it was neat
    i didnt read correctly and thought you wanted knit patterns, sorry

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    • Useful x 1
  4. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  5. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

What weight are you looking for? Triangle scarves might be a good route for you, I know they're a big one. I can also ask my partner, she's hella into crochet :D

6. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Knit patterns are okay too. I need to learn eventually!

Worsted weight, mostly. If I'm using yarn I already have

• Like x 2
  7. Astrodynamicist

Omg that is not a good pattern to learn to knit on, the repeating section is like 40 rows long

• Witnessed x 1
  8. Astrodynamicist

Actually now I think on it - my first knit project was a vaguely interesting checkerboard pattern (first project as in first after a lot of mangled rectangles to learn the stitches at all lol). I can try to work out what the pattern was for you from the pic I posted on fb; it was out a book I didn’t bother moving with me. I remember the stitch patterns just not the overall size info, like how many to cast on and whatnot.

• Useful x 2
  9. keltka

• Useful x 2
  10. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to fix a scratched aluminum crochet hook (or if it's even worthwhile to do so)? I have a hook with a very deep scratch in a very inconvenient spot that's basically ripping up my yarn with every pass. It's annoying and (imo) unsightly, but I hate to just throw away something that might be fixable...

• Witnessed x 2
  11. keltka

so I think it's definitely possible, given all the info I've found on it? I'd recommend hitting up something like Home Depot to find out what "sticks" to aluminum best! this is a starting thing I found: https://www.ehow.com/how_4545809_polishing-scratched-aluminum.html

imo it might be possible to find something colorful and make it look all cool, but then again, it might be more effort than it's worth?

12. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

You might be able to fill in the scratch with something like nail polish or air dry clay then sand it smooth. Resin would be good but can be expensive.

13. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

or you could just sand down the edge of the scratch so it doesn't catch the yarn, as a temporary measure til you can replace it. what's a new on cost, three bucks? frankly not worth the repair imo. a nice laminated wood one, i'd repair, but aluminum... toss it in the recycling and hit up walmart for another one, it's cheaper than a cup of starbucks.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  14. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was going to say that it's probably literally cheaper to replace it than to try and repair it. Especially since trying to sand down metal is tedious.

• Agree x 1
  15. keltka

even the link I grabbed was like "cover the whole thing and sand THAT instead"

• Informative x 1
  16. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Dunno if sewing on patches counts, but here's one I just finished that I thought was relatable:
    [​IMG]

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  17. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i realized i never posted this here, and i've started using it as my icon on discord so it seemed like a good moment to offer you all an egg in these trying times:

IMG_6558.jpg

my best friend has a book of patterns for little felt food plushes, and i made egg friend! it's very simple but i was proud of how cute the face turned out, considering my extremely rudimentary embroidery skills.

• Winner x 13
    • Like x 2
  18. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

oh my gosh i love him? i might have to make one now

• Like x 3
  19. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Crossposting from my ITA thread. I might try to figure out a Slytherin House quilt after this.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

So I've got this thing:
    [​IMG]
    (The white border is just so I remember where the edges are; I'll put in proper edging later.)
    What I need help with: what kind of background should I put in to not take away from the main focal point? I was originally thinking stormy seascape, but now I'm doubting myself.

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice