fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm gonna pay $6 bc on etsy sampler patterns are in the $4-$6 range and goats is one of the larger ones

• Winner x 3
  2. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

.........I may need to take up cross stitching because of this.............

• Agree x 2
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

They post new patterns pretty often too! I keep adding things from them on to the pile of stuff I need to make, and it's starting to get out of control XD

• Agree x 2
  4. spockandawe

Oh, I knew I forgot to post this somewhere. I finished a blanket! In eight days! Which was a mistake.

(and finished doesn't include wrapping up the loose ends or blocking, but I'm so very tired and never want to look at this thing again)

ee0e7d68-c00e-4c8f-9a4c-bf4526e35c6d.jpg
    dbfd95f9-1654-411e-b77f-dcc4c29a6846.jpg

This is the dearestdebi girly afghan pattern, which i did by accident. I started a much harder pattern in the middle of the night, predictably messed up, ragequit, and then started this pattern to soothe my ego. Only then I kept going.

It was fun to do once, though I don't think I'd do it again, at least not without significant alterations. Each of the 200ish butterflies needed individually added bodies and antenna, which was Hell. And it's a little awkward to me that the large heart motif only shows up once, so if I did do it again, I might replace the inner ring of butterflies with flowers and the outer ring with hearts. And the bows worked out much better than I was afraid of, but still not as good as the other bits. And I'm not using the simply soft yarn or whatever it's called for a puff-heavy pattern again, because Oh My God

But I'm pretty delighted with this! I hate it passionately, but I'm also definitely delighted.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Winner x 13
  5. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Oh my goooood that's so pretty!

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

How did you manage that in 8 days!?

• Agree x 3
  7. spockandawe

I'm in pain. My hands are numb, my brain is mush, and my eyes burn. I kept almost falling asleep at work. I ate dinner yesterday after midnight. It was a bad decision in every conceivable way XDDD

Also I really like round numbers and had my heart set on doing it in a week, but couldn't quiiiiite make it (I ran out of red in the last row), but eight days was a good consolation prize. That part is even more my fault than the plain lack of self-control, though XD

• Witnessed x 9
  8. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

It's box time!!!

• Winner x 3
  9. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I have so many MIGHTY NEEDS. like at least 12

• Agree x 3
  10. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I wonder if they take requests because my future MIL is absolutely enamored with the dead gourds one but doesn't want to swear

11. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

i know they have a patreon and do commissions, but i do not know otherwise

12. jacktrash

i bet they'd do it for a small fee. it's probably only a half hour's work to adjust the spacing for a non-sweary word in that space.

• Useful x 1
  13. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

OH MY GOD PLEASE WATCH THIS DELIGHTFUL YOUNG MAN GIVE YOU A TUTORIAL ON A WAFFLE STITCH DISH CLOTH

• Winner x 3
  14. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I tried cross stitch! It went pretty well I think.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 9
  15. Jean

More cross stitch adventures! This is startlingly addictive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 8
  16. Jean

Tfw you shift two letters down a row and have to pick them out and redo them x(.

• Witnessed x 3
  17. jacktrash

i love this lad my goodness what a charming and informative video *dad swoon* i'm so proud of him

18. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I made most of a surcoat for larping today! By most of it I mean all the big parts are done, but now I have the trim and ornamentation to do, and that's like 80% of the man hours, so I still have a long way to go. I also intended to make a how-to guide for it because that's a thing in larping, or at least chronicle my progress, but forgot about it the moment I got into a groove with sewing.

Behold, my wonderfully informative and totally complete guide to making your very own four panel surcoat!

step one: cut fabric
    [​IMG]

step two: make the rest of the surcoat
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  19. Jean

• Agree x 2
  20. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

A46F3CEE-A511-4874-B095-AADFA27A5060.jpeg

Trim done. All in all it took about five hours from taking fabric out of the dryer to finished product. Gonna spend a couple more hours tomorrow putting the group symbol on the back, but it’s wearable at this point.

• Winner x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice