fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I just have a huge wicker basket currently over flowing with half finished projects and too many balls and skeins. They have migrated out onto my bed. Don't be like me, children.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Thanks so much! I now have a Plan. And substantially less phobia-based anxiety.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Another blanket! I did the Elements CAL, but just the big central square and without a lot of the colorwork. It's for a baby, so that gave me a 32''x32'' square, I didn't want to keep going through all the outside bits too, especially since it's going to its home either tonight or Saturday :p And instead of juggling eightish colors, i had the two variegated baby yarns that went well together in my last baby blanket, so I alternated those.

This silly thing was done almost entirely while watching good omens, and i don't know how many loops of the show it was, but I think it's safe to say I have a problem XD

2c2e5d4d-c422-4370-aff0-26973887bddb.jpg

• Winner x 12
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it’s gawjus!

• Agree x 6
  5. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

oooh i've been looking for a cool pattern for a baby blanket for my friend, i might do that one! about how much yarn did it take?

6. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Hm. That's a good question XD

I was working from leftovers from another project for both colors, so I wasn't keeping track.

This is the brand of yarn I was working from, and I thiiiiink it probably clocked in between one and one and a half balls, with a size 5 hook. So probably 1100-1650 yards. I'm not sure one if those balls would cover it (the staggered stitching at the corners and center is surprisingly dense), but two balls would definitely cover it.

• Useful x 1
  7. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

thanks! that's really helpful.

8. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

This needs work, but it's as good as I can manage at this moment, especially pending a trip to Target or whatever

IMG_20190706_161200.jpg

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 1
  9. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

IMG_20190706_233709713.jpg

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  10. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I have... no clue what I did here.

So, I am making a scarf where the two end sections are made up of thin strips of knitting sewn together (with a 'deliberately' ragged edge.)
    These strips are just plain ol' rectangles. Nothing fancy.

Somehow, while sewing them together, I've created a dramatic curve? That goes full on helical when it's held up.

I have no clue how I did this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<insert joke about being so queer I can't sew straight here.>

• Winner x 4
  11. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

So, I've got two lil' strips of fabric as part of what's leftover from the sew-in interfacing. Plus a lot more interfacing, generally. I've also got what looks like some trans-flag coloured embroidery thread.

I'm thinking, combine the two and do a "The Lord said "Trans Rights" thing I can hang up somewhere, with a Hebrew translation.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  12. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I’ve been given a whole alpaca’s worth of wool and I’m not sure what to do with it
    6834ACC5-B4CF-418B-8D47-388CF313BE7F.jpeg

• Winner x 6
  13. Lizardlicks

Do you know if it's been picked and skirted? If not, that's your first step. You gotta spread it out and check for debris that might be caught in the wool and pick it out.
    Second step is gentle wash. Do not agitate the wool during this process. Usually you can put it into a mesh bag (or several, depending on the size of the bag) place in warm (not hot!) water with a little dawn dish soap and let it soak while occasionally coming in and pushing the bags under the water/rotating until it's fully soaked. Then drain and rinse the same way. Might take a few goes around rinsing.
    Third step it to spread it out to dry some place it won't be disturbed. You may want to pick through it a second time at this point just to be sure it's as clean as possible.
    Fourth step is carding! If you don't have hand carders, you can use slicker brushes (for dogs) but they're smaller than hand carders so it will take longer. If you have a drum carder I'm jealous.
    Now you have rolags for spinning or blending with other wool!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Informative x 5
  14. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Thank you! I’ve never even spun before, so this is really helpful

15. jacktrash

re washing it, if it's not noticeably dirty, you can also 'spin it in the grease', which is to say spin it as-is and wash the yarn afterwards. apparently lanolin is great for your hands, but it can have a bit of a wet dog smell. i haven't tried it, but i imagine it wouldn't be gross at all if there was no actual like poop or mud in there, just a bit of dust and leaf crumbs.

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 2
  16. jacktrash

[​IMG]

• Winner x 13
  17. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I have finished my Dragon Age cosplay/inspired scarf thing! (Not sure it's recognisably dragon age, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

[​IMG]

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. jacktrash

the twists look intentional and good!

• Agree x 2
  19. Lizardlicks

This is baby doll southdown erasure

• Like x 2
  20. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Finished!
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice