fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

i love the color of the purple and the blue-and-grey!

• Agree x 2
  2. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

That is deff something to consider for when I start spinning for sale, but in this instance the raw fiber is being provided and sent back to the provider. My cost is purely time and labor in this instance, since I have no materials or other overhead costs. Time varies based on how fine I'm spinning, what I'm using to spin (in this case I'd use the wheel because that's a lot to spin on a drop spindle). I also have to consider being competitive while not undercutting the current market. Doing a different calculation than what's standard (hourly vs by weight) could end up either vastly over charging or undercutting.

• Like x 1
  3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

DONE
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 13
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

It's gorgeous! But for the life of me I can't figure out what the first word is :(

5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It's Taako, the name of a character from a DnD podcast. :>

6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

re pricing the dog hair spin -- i'd say give them a ballpark number, but let them know you can't give them a final number until you've tested some of the fiber. unless you've spun very similar dog hair before, you can't know how easy or hard it'll be, how fast or slow it'll go. dog and cat hair generally isn't very crimpy, and wants to be spun smooth and fine, which takes a LOT longer than a fat crimpy wool like merino. but then again, if the dog is extra fluffy, it might spin like merino after all.

i just know my maine coon's fluffs spin like angora rabbit, and would take me like 5 hours a skein if i did it in that quantity. (i just did a couple hundred yards as an experiment, but trying to do anything thicker than laceweight resulted in the thread breaking. it needed to be very high-twist, and that means a very fine single.)

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Lizardlicks

From the pics they sent she is indeed a very fluffy girl and I would imagine it would spin up similarly to my old pups floofs (I still have a grocery bag stuffed full of saved undercoat from him that I've been meaning to wash and card. I should use this as an excuse to get that done finally). I have spun a little chiengora on a drop spindle, but I would want to do that amount on the wheel which I need more practice with.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

E9FA837D-9DA3-442F-8974-81890EC1475E.jpeg
    Had to take a break because I ran out of the brown thread.

• Winner x 15
    • Like x 1
  9. auxanges

auxanges pitch connoisseur

10. jacktrash

• Agree x 2
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

too smol

• Agree x 6
  12. Lizardlicks

Finally fully finished the Starburst yarn. Looks like I have about 96 yards which it p good for chain plied I think. I'm going to start learning how to knit color work next, I think.

[​IMG]

Also pictured is my little knitting practice swatch. My favorite part is the "oops, forgot to purl, fuck, guess I'm doing a garter stitch now. If I repeat it a few times no one will know it wasn't on purpose" divider between the m1l/r increases and the eyelets.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  13. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I opened up emergency commissions for some money to get me to a larping event this weekend. Bought the fabric for the first one about 24 hours ago. Dyed, washed, and cut it last night. Sewed it today. I’ve never made a tunic this quickly before and have it turn out any good.

65BD60CC-D44B-40EE-A9CD-62592D9C39D7.jpeg

• Winner x 12
  14. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

This post contains spoilers for the August fiber club box for Paradise Fibers (I can't remember if anyone else has that subscription and I'd rather be safe than sorry) so it's all going under a cut!

So this is the first month I've been sent something that is... really not my taste. The theme this month was Warhol, and that kind of color palette has never really been my aesthetic, and one of the bags of top they sent was, um, very that. I didn't even take pictures of it in its original form, but I found an image for illustrative purposes.
    On my particular piece of top, it seemed like the most clashing colors were right next to each other - the hot pink and lime green were memorably close. I couldn't find any screenshots quite like that, but this was my best attempt.
    warholblendwhole.JPG

But after a few minutes of "what the fuck," I got determined - I'd try taking the top apart! And that didn't go too badly, in the end, as it was not blended so much as... seamed? together. And in the process of taking it apart, I got some small-project ideas, so I guess it worked out in the end after all.
    The white and gold is all silk, the black is all flax, and the rest is merino.
    warholblenddefeated.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  15. jacktrash

gorgeous embroidery. turn on subtitles for some explanation and terminology.

• Winner x 4
  16. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

17. rainbowbarnacle

rainbowbarnacle Cat Aggrandizer

oh my god those are ADORABLE FJKLS;FDSA

alas I know not the yarnslinging arts but WOW thank you for showing me 8)

• Like x 1
  18. Lizardlicks

Oh my god Eris would die for one of those. I've been wanting to make her a yarn project for back to school coming up and I think I have it now :D

• Winner x 1
  19. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

the talking about spinning dog hair reminded me that i have a drop spindle, and two cats that produce a ridiculous amount of shedding
    single-ply-1.jpg single-ply-closeup.jpg double-ply-1.jpg double-ply-closeup.jpg
    i'm dead, cat hair is so slippy (not shown: the piles of attempted yarn where it just. pulled apart)

it also looks pretty nasty in the close ups, and i think it's mostly because i don't have anything to card the fur (even just using to hair brushes against each other - i only have the one), so i didn't put much of any effort into trying to pull out guard hairs

first two pics are of the length spun initially (single ply) and the second is when i plied it. the pictures were taken with lebesgue holding them up for me, and i am really happy how surprisingly balanced the double ply came out - it feels a lot more uniform than the single ply, and it doesn't turn over or twist at all

for not having done any spinning in ... almost two years? i'm pretty pleased with how this came out. think i'm gonna keep spinning their fur to practice, and maybe pick up carders if something pops up on craigslist

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 2
  20. Lizardlicks

Yeah cat is pretty notoriously difficult to spin. Most advice I have ever encountered about it boils down to, " better just don't."

• Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice