fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I'm starting my ninth repeat of my leaf pattern on the skirt. once i have finished this, one third of the skirt will be embroidered and good lord. good fucking lord. what have I chosen for myself here.

• Like x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Did another batch of cocoons the other day... decided to simmer 30 minutes this time to see if I could get them degummed all the way through to those stubborn little inner envelopes.

Result:

upload_2020-2-11_19-43-47.jpeg

A bunch of them glommed together in a huge multi-cocoon tangle (possibly exacerbated by stirring,) and the rest were very loose and floaty.

I did manage to separate them into one- and two-cocoon units, as I had decided to try stretching them into silk hankies this time, as seen here. (My success with this was limited, as I had not secured a frame to stretch them on. I’ll have to scavenge something up and try that again later.)

Anyways, results are as follows:

upload_2020-2-11_20-3-52.jpeg

upload_2020-2-11_20-4-16.jpeg

Then after they finished drying I stretched them all into a big floofy hoop, like so:

upload_2020-2-11_20-6-58.jpeg

... It almost didn’t occur to me to ask until my sister brought it up the other day, but I’m not actually sure what I’m going to do with all this neat floof I’m making, beyond turning it into yarn. Mebbe I’ll use it to crochet a thing.

Scarf? Scarf is prolly doable.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Crochet a stuffed animal silk worm?

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  4. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I don't (yet) use singles but good god these colors. If I could knit socks I would have. So many different skeins to add to my stash.

• Winner x 4
  5. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    • Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  6. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Drop spindles are so great because they're all different. Different weight, different balance, different whorl placement, even just the wood grain + stain makes them all so varied and wonderful to collect, plus it's easy to stay under $20. And of course of you have an empty spindle that's just another good reason to start a new project... Right?

• Like x 2
  7. Kay5

Kay5 the most glorious spoon

oh wow it's been a while since I've checked this thread (for some hecking reason alerts didn't pop up with anything?? iunno) but there are SO MANY COOL NEW THINGS TO SEE/READ ABOUT! Skirt embroidery, silk shenanigans, and so so so much cool yarn! You're all astounding, seriously

I haven't been doing much knitting lately because Hands Bad, but! I've recently discovered that weaving is a lot less hell on my fingers, so I got my hands on an old picture frame and some nails and I made myself a lap loom:
    [​IMG]

Pictured with a small bookmark I did as a test, and my next project for it all strung up and ready to start. Making an aro-flag-inspired tartan scarf for my partner. No idea how it'll turn out, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice