fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

• Like x 1
  2. ashtraymaze

ashtraymaze Member

thank you! i can always use advice though if anyone has some. i lost some of the tension and found it hard to weave consistently bc i have hand tremors—if anyone has tips i would love them, i’d really enjoy darning more

3. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

i've found it can be easier to get a nice tight weave if you go over 2 under 2, especially if you're working with thinner threads! darning is really fun, it adds so much personality even if you mess it up a little

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

ok these aren’t actually mine, but you all need to see what my sibling has been crocheting: OCTOKITTENS!!!

this is the first one they made:
    [​IMG]
    and these are the two they made for me!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they are so cute!! normally I don’t get excited about the cute plushies genre of object but look at them!!!! my sibling made the design too, though I think they used bits of existing patterns.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Winner x 14
  5. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Those are awesome!

• Agree x 3
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

aren't they just!!! they might end up selling some online at some point, assuming they have the time and energy for it.

7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

@NorthernRiver and I are brainstorming about making reusable cloth pads for boxer briefs! I've gone down a small rabbit hole about belted reusable pads, meanwhile they are more thinking about like magnet options. Haven't really found any belted patterns that actually exist anymore, but there are enough pics that i figure I could try it out.

If anyone has Thoughts on how to make pads work with boxer briefs that don't actually involve any alterations to the underwear, please let me know! (I know about Aisle/Lunapads' period boxers, I have a pair, but I think River is not really looking at buying/directing people to buy new underwear or sew things into their existing pairs)

• Winner x 1
  8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

if they sell them I WILL buy one, octokittens important

• Winner x 1
  9. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

My weird little half cloak sold!

• Winner x 13
  10. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

Congrats!!! I'm glad it sold!

• Agree x 3
  11. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I'm nearing the end (26/29 is in the works now) so I thought i'd show off my patterning before i never do it again:

[​IMG]

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  12. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Made a little dice bag for my friend so she can be a dice goblin too.

D26503C2-34FB-4992-B0CD-588E23C06B76.jpeg 77712176-0C1E-45D0-973A-D11286EB2153.jpeg

I genuinely love this fabric and need to do more with it. It’s so pretty.

• Winner x 6
  13. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

A friend wants to make this backpack but because the instructions are in russian she doesn't know the type of yarn that's being used there. anyone got a clue what that thick stuff is called so she can get the right supplies?
    [​IMG]

14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

That almost looks like t-shirt yarn, I forget if its available commercially

• Informative x 1
  15. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

it is! i think i have some yarn like that, it's not t-shirt but it looks like it has the same texture. sadly i can't remember what it's called; i don't think it came with a useful ball-band. but! i have definitely seen it around, and t-shirt yarn in general is certainly commercially available.
    por exemplar

• Informative x 1
  16. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

the ears and tail look like the thick fuzzy yarn you can get in the baby section

• Informative x 1
  17. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

The pink looks like either t-shirt yarn or some kind of acrylic yarn and I agree the white looks like fuzzy baby section yarn

• Informative x 1
  18. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

The structure of the t-shirt yarn is also sometimes called ribbon yarn

• Informative x 1
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

sooooo don't feel like you have to or anything, but my sibling did just set up an octokitten etsy over here... base price is $15 for a small one or $60 for a large one and you can request what colors you want!

here is a rainbow one they finished the other day :D
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 8
  20. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

JOYFUL SCREAMING
    OCTOKITTENS
    so yes, I'm buying one.

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice