fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

[​IMG]

AAAAAAA it's fantastic! thank you!!

• Like x 7
  2. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

8D 8D 8D yaaaaaaay i'm so glad you like it!!! :D you're welcome!!

3. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

tumblr_o0k1zdl5Xh1rzhitho1_1280.jpg

I finished the Megatron cross-stitch! In just about a month, which, um. That was a mistake. I've done very little for the last month except this. I have had no sense of time management whatsoever, and my left arm managed a nice sprint past the RSI head start my right arm has, and apparently my ulnar nerve is suffering because I haven't been able to feel my left ring finger for the last two days, hahaha. This is smaller than the cascade piece, but it ended up being MUCH harder, because the colors are so much less blocked, and also I had fifty distinct colors of floss going into this thing. I knew I'd be losing a ton of detail, but I'm really pleased with how the palette and energy of the pose shine through. Now the trick is to derail myself before I start another massive silly fandom project, so that I can actually get some other things in my life done, silly frivolous junk like eating and showering.

• Like x 9
  4. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Fifty colors of floss, yeesh. Mad kudos.

• Like x 1
  5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Holy FUCK, spock. O_O

• Like x 2
  6. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

I knit and have done so since... around 2nd or 3rd grade, I think. I didn't do much for a long time though because I was an impatient child and knitting is SLOW, but got back into it around a year ago because of therapeutic/stimmy value.

Also cross stitched as a little but it didn't really take because I like useful things rather than purely decorative ones. I did make a very nice Christmas ornament, though.

Currently working on my very first sock, wish me luck! Have also recently completed literally 6 hats for my friend group for Christmas presents because I'm in Wisconsin and do not want the squad to freeze their ears off.

Massive bonus points: my mom spins, and my aunt actually has a sheep farm. (Yup.) I sit atop a rich heritage of fiber. c:

• Like x 5
  7. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

I think I've just made the cutest thing of my life 0_0

IMG_20160109_204736.jpg

• Like x 9
  8. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Guys, at what point does a fair-isle pattern become more trouble than it's worth? I've made a chart by tracing a stock photo and I think it looks REALLY COOL but also it is complicated like cray and has long floats.

So what's the point for you when the amount of effort required to follow the chart tips the cost/benefit balance?

To illustrate, this colour chart repeats horizontally every 94 stitches and vertically every 103 stitches. So. Yeah. It's big.

9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

personally, i don't like dealing with floats more than about an inch long. i'm very much about the traditional fair isle; short repeating patterns, short floats, only two colors per row. but hell, if you don't mind pinning up your floats and you like following charts, have a blast!

10. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

I'm almost certain I saw this on kintsugi at some point - fabric? A website that sold custom-printed fabric for fairly cheap and someone on here was promoting their account and the patterned fabric that they were selling
    I really want to buy some fabric and get my new sewing machine warmed up owo

• Like x 1
  11. blue

blue hightown funk you up

I'm also sure I've seen similar services, and I guess googling them might be helpful but then I wouldn't know which ones are good ._.?

12. spockandawe

So over on tumblr, I'm taking requests for simple transformers cross-stitch patterns! I'm going to cross-post to the transformers fan town thread too, but if this is something that pings people's interests, I really want to get good at this sort of thing and I'm excited to get some practice.

(oh, and I didn't say this explicitly on tumblr, but multiple requests are a-ok, especially for forum peeps)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  13. EulersBidentity

This pattern's looking pretty cool so far!
    I managed to stop myself from going nuts by knitting it flat instead of in the round, which means I don't have to do the full width because it doesn't repeat horizontally. Now it's just 60 stitches across. The back's a total mess, but I could maybe sew a piece of fabric over it like I would a quilt.
    image.jpeg
    It's a pattern of leaves which I'm hoping will be more obvious once I've finished a couple of repeats.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    • Like x 10
  14. rats

yeee-es but i really wanted to buy the specific patterns that the user here had up, they were really nice :< time to scour my history i guess lol

• Like x 1
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Seems like it? :P

17. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@EulersBidentity i could see the leaves once i read your description, but my first impression was of a very metal scene of flames on black. (in a good way!)

• Like x 3
  18. rats

@Kaylotta @bluefox O M G THANK U SO MUCH.........i was looking through the 'make it so' subforum and this whole time it was in gc :"D

• Like x 1
  19. spockandawe

I decided to dabble in cross-stitch pattern-making on the basis of zero experience whatsoever and no clue what the heck I was doing, but I'm pretty pleased. With transformers, because cross-stitch and transformers is the silliest crossed streams of special interests that has ever happened to me. I freehanded this Tailgate pattern. And I cheated on the next one and put the original panel as a background image while I blocked out the main shapes and perspective, but check it out, momma Whirl and the baby protoform.

I'm thinking of trying to sprint this one to completion and make it into a bag I can wear to katsucon, because I'm not going to have a cosplay together but I want to be silly and fannish, and I shouldn't even be surprised at my complete lack of time management skills because this is exactly what happened with the tavros bag last year.

• Like x 3
  20. EulersBidentity

That is very cool! I've never dared attempt writing a cross-stitch pattern myself. I just get the online colour-recognition algorithms to do it for me.

I found these things in a drawer when I was tidying (I don't...think I've posted them?) It was my first ever attempt at writing a pattern, about three years ago. The chart for the colourwork came from a book of c18 stitch patterns that I found on a museum website (maaybe V&A) which I can't for the life of me find again :(
    I'd like to say my stranded colourwork has improved since then but it really hasn't :')
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice