fiber arts!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

as promised:
    [​IMG]

I'm almost done! I just need to pick what plant i'm gonna do a little amagurumi of to be the pom pom (the friend this is for loves plants). I already have scraps of the same type of yarn in various shades of green (as well as other colors if i do a flower or anything...) from my mom's endless stash - she never tosses anything, so we have lots of odds and ends.

Also! I have already started on the next one, for another friend who also likes the colors. This will neatly use up this yarn (minus a few scraps...). I don't know what plant to do for them, either. Both of them, when I asked what plants they liked best, or even category of plant (or mushroom!) went something along the lines of "...all of them??" and i do understand that, but it is not helpful. Ah well, I will come up with something.

This stitch is so fun! And it's so nice to have something that i can focus on enough that i can focus on the videos i'm watching (rn, "how to adhd" on youtube (very helpful!)), because it is simple and i don't have to think about it, but it's not so simple that it makes things worse. You know? This stitch hits a very similar place for me to cross stitch, but requires less looking at. So i can watch videos rather than just listening to podcasts.

• Winner x 4
  2. Jean

I have input! From one of them anyway. Birch trees! So:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 3
  3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Putting an amigurumi plant on a hat never occurred to me as an option but it sounds adorable!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Jean

5. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I came here to post this and then realized it's been 2 years since my last post on this thread so. let's see what I got.

20230816_123123.jpg
    The Blanket(tm) with 24"/60cm ruler for scale.

this started as an idea I had for making a heavy blanket that still allowed for some airflow, as an alternative to a traditional weighted blanket. I'll be honest, I don't know if it'll actually be cooler temperature-wise, but it LOOKS pretty rad...

it's all crocodile/scale stitch, which looks intimidating but is pretty straightforward. (it's mostly double crochet.) It's about halfway done at this point, we've just been picking out a new ball of yarn every time I finish a section. The pastel part is actually something I added to the bottom retroactively so it would have a gradient effect, so I had to ad lib attach it to the original piece I started with...that was interesting.

...I've come a long way with crochet, I also started a foray into amigurumi with this little dude

20221201_024541.jpg

doing something more complicated next which involves making a test version so we'll see how that goes.

on the embroidery front:

First cross-stitch. (well, I made a patch-sized pride flag first. This is more like bookmark size.)

20221226_153931.jpg

freehand I did this for my pill case and then realized it'll get ruined carrying it in my bag so I'm still unsure about what to do...maybe put a layer of plastic over it ita-bag style?

20220920_213435.jpg

and I started trying out portraits:
    20230709_011925.jpg 20230718_022442.jpg

its been an interesting way to get around my drawing-related art block because more "physical" crafts are easier on the brain I guess.

• Winner x 7
  6. Jean

I don't know if i have put progress shots of this one on here at all, but the core is done, and now i am working on the outsides!

[​IMG]

• Winner x 7
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

very pretty colors!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. Jean

Nearly done! I have to:
    • Finish hemming
    • Put in more large stars
    • Glue to picture frame backing
    • Paint picture frame itself (nebula)
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I have nothing as impressive as all these nice projects, but as of exactly a week ago, I've started to crochet! It keeps my hands busy, and even though it's an itty bitty training patch I'm enjoying making something that looks like something! Sunny is helping :D

IMG_20231225_210558_compress6.jpg

It's kinda sloppy, and I think too loose in some areas while too tight in others, but I'm enjoying myself and my hands are indeed busy. I can think! And focus even, a little! It's nice

• Winner x 9
  10. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I will be sewing myself a skirt (the sort you can put a nice petticoat underneath), first time i have sewn myself an item of clothing and also me getting to work out my new sewing machine!

• Winner x 7
  11. Jean

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    • Winner x 10
    • Like x 1
  12. Jean

Ta daaaaaa
    upload_2023-12-28_10-9-15.jpeg
    Just need to:
    • Hem
    • Trim excess fabric
    • Iron
    • Acquire a frame
    • Paint (and/or chew on) the frame
    • Affix the cross stitch to the back of the frame (probably sew it)
    • Present to the friend this is for

• Winner x 8
  13. TheOwlet

Forgot to Post an Update! Skirt is very much done:

[​IMG]

• Winner x 9
  14. TheOwlet

(Skirt Specs: two pockets, two buttons in the back, weighted hem, lace edge, four pleats over each hip to hide the pockets; meant to Go over a petticoat)

• Winner x 4
  15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

upload_2024-1-4_5-20-58.png
    wool scarf/shawl/wrap thing! used four colors of green wool, held double, and alternated colors one at a time to get the color change. really in love with the greens combined with the leaf buttons, it makes me feel like a hobbit lol :3
    i don't really wear colors but i'm going to have to figure out how to style this because i am obsessed

• Winner x 7
  16. TheOwlet

Oh that's so freaking cute i love the leaf buttons with the colors it IS hobbitcore

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Jean

Lovelovelove that skirt!! What is the flower(?) on there?

The shawl/scarf/wrap is so cute too!! Agreeing on the buttons, those are perfect.

• Like x 1
  18. TheOwlet

They're Roses! [​IMG]

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  19. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Wow everything here is super cute and inspires me to actually pick up my knitting again so that I can finish the shirt this decade.

• Like x 2
  20. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I set myself a goal this year to finish the fiber arts projects I had had on the go for forever this year. So I started doing 30 minutes of yarn time everyday, and in January I finished knitting the scarf I started 10+ years ago, and the stole I'd started crocheting 7+ years ago.
    Now I've totally gotten the crocheting bug and my next project is a baby blanket!

Scarf:
    20240208_235124.jpg

Stole:
    20240208_235226.jpg

Tester for my baby blanket, I'm so in love with the colour that I might hate giving it away XD

20240208_235422.jpg

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice