Fic That Needs To Exist

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by LadyNighteyes, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Outer Wilds AU thoughts, spoilers for dlc included:

I went on a spree through AO3's Outer Wilds fics, and found some of the sorts I expected - explorations of the Hearthians and their relationships, some explorations of the Nomai relationships, and a fair few "so what if the Eye had done something Else instead" AUs that explore possibilities for a post-game

One thing I haven't yet seen is, what if the Interloper's approach had lined up such that it went into Dark Bramble? What if most or all of the explosion had killed the plants & anglerfish but left the Wilds largely unscathed?

I could go either way about Poke, Pye, and Clary surviving that trip, there's potential in them having died and the Bramble yet again being seemingly a source of tragedy for the clan.

But mostly, I'm thinking... what if? What if they hadn't been able to get the sun station going but they kept living? Would they have taken another approach to their search for the Eye?

...Would they have found the Stranger?

And given how the Nomai were, tenacious and sometimes dangerously reckless in their search for knowledge, how persistently would they have tried to explore the station?

...Would they have pieced what the Owlks did - WHY they did it - before they found another way to bruteforce the Eye search?

...How would they have responded to that?

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Followup from that,

I originally got on that train of thought with the notion of the hatchling somehow bounced back in time to shortly before the Interloper's approach,

Partly because of my abiding love of time travel fixit fic,

But largely my love of time travel fix some things complicate other things fic

Because like, okay, there's this 4 eyed alien in a profoundly dangerous ship - made of wood! Flame propulsion?? - with a resemblance to the beings of Timber Hearth and a device that lets them read Nomai writing, but not yet any means to translate their own speech back

Solanum was working with limited options, maybe the older adults who remember other systems and other species would better manage communication...?

But maybe the hatchling's best bet for conveying "that comet is bad news" would be a jaunt over to the Stranger for one of the light staves? At which point, who is this increasingly frantic alien and why are they broadcasting threats/warnings about the destruction of the clan!

At which point I had imagined the hatchling doing their self sufficiency thing, flying off, doing their damnedest to just ram the comet off course, and that's when I started mulling over the different AU of a no hatchling, wild chance direction of the Interloper as described above

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice