Fidget Cubes (Fidgeting... In Cube Form!!)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Secret Squirrel, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

...am I the only person who knew that the marble was clicky?

• Like x 2
  2. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i think they mentioned it on their website/kickstarter somewhere

3. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

just gonna watch this video on constant repeat until mine finally ships:

(on a semi-related note, this channel is actually one of my favs for tips on coping with my (probable but undiagnosed) adhd slash executive dysfunction, might be helpful for some of y'all)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Like x 3
  4. devian

devian Well-Known Member

In my case I'd assumed it was just a rolly ball, and since I'm not that into rolly balls I was mostly ignoring it, so it hadn't occurred to me to try pressing it.

My conclusion after some intensive comparison clicking is that it isn't nearly as fun as the switch, because it takes a bit more effort to press it and the resulting click is duller/deeper instead of the sharp click the switch has. Still useful to know it's there, though.

• Like x 2
  5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

seeing that video makes me want mine more

when will my fidget cube return from the war

• Like x 3
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

THE MARBE CLICKS?!?!!?GSD

• Like x 2
  7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

asdfdafs i got an email asking me to confirm my shipping address and i got excited.... only it was for a DIFFERENT kickstarter. god damn it

the feb 7 email estimated that they'd have all the december rewards shipped by the end of this week? please be accurate ;-;

• Like x 1
  8. Nochi

Nochi small waterfall of pure void

D has one of these, and ordered one for me bc I stole his p much immediately. I either use the switch or spin the marble, or just put the whole thing on the table and spin it, lol (the analog stick thing is really good for that)

9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

my cube finally shipped on friday! ....but fedex estimates it won't get here until the 13th. when i will be at my grandmother's house. RIP.

if i'm lucky it'll be like 2 days earlier and i'll be here to receive it

• Like x 1
  10. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

FIDGET. CUBE.

I have one standard colour scheme one a friend managed to get early early from the kickstarter and sent me for my birthday back at beginning of February!!!
    I also have a kickstarter edition and a... berry edition I bought myself via the kickstarter :3 the idea was to have one for at home and one at work. for now I keep the one I have from friend in my lab coat pocket @ work and it is the BEST. the only thing that makes me sad is I accidentally shoved the joystick roughly with some things in my pocket and now it doesn't swivel as smoothly and sometimes sticks a tiny bit in position :(

it is still amazing and I love it bless fidget cube all hail fidget cube

• Like x 2
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I'm so excited, I know I'll have to wait a long time for it to arrive, but I'm still just * vibrates *

• Like x 3
  12. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i finally got my cube today!! i LOVE the switch side, both clicking it back and forth or more slowly shifting it back and forth (which makes it quieter.) i also like the ball and the buttons.

i was expecting to like the analog stick more but it doesn't move quite as smoothly as i'd hoped. the spin dial thing i will probably ignore, as i don't like its sound that much and it takes a bit more effort to play with.

overall tho i'm liking it a lot and i'm so happy it arrived before i went on vacation!

• Like x 2
  13. When will my cube return from when I ordered it three weeks ago...

• Like x 1
  14. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

So... I got my fidget cubes.

Turns out, my 'original' that I got for birthday was not an Antsy Labs cube.

... I hate to say it, but I think the 'knockoff' is better. I really dislike admitting that. But if anyone was to ask me, I'd recommend buying the knockoffs from Wish, which is apparently where my preferred cube from. Looking around on Amazon and doing comparisons since I wanted another, I think it's the T-Tek product, but it's hard to tell without being able to hold it to feel the weight/texture/actions.

This sounds like a bad review comment and I guess it kind of is? Because man I love fidgeting with my 'original' cube it is AMAZING and the Antsy Labs version just. Feels cheap. Makes more grating noises. Feels bad man. And I want other fidgeters to be able to have OPTIMUM FIDGETING so there is my opinion if anyone has been unsure if they should get the Official Antsy Labs TM Kickstarter Fidget Cube.

eta: one example of why I like 'my' cube better, the spin is completely silent so when the antsy cubes came and had resistance and sound I was like nO you rUINED IT.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  15. devian

devian Well-Known Member

What I've heard about the fakes has been that some are terrible and some are actually pretty good, so it sounds like you got lucky and got a good one?

Someone in the comments section on Kickstarter was collecting as many different knockoffs as possible and doing review & comparison videos on Youtube, but I haven't checked back since the real cubes started shipping to see if they did any knockoff vs real thing videos. I would be pretty curious how the real one compares, considering the knockoffs seem to be generally cheaper and easier to acquire.

• Like x 4
  16. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

I GOT MINE TODAY! I love it so much.

17. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

MY CUBE CAME TODAY!!

so far i like it a lot! the clicky ball is my favorite so far. i got the "prism" carrying thing too, which is very nice and smooth BUT i do worry about it's longevity. the silicone it's made of is thin enough that i dont know if it would survive a hard tug. just dangling seems okay so far though, and i like having the chain. (esp considering my tendency to lose things if they're not attachhed to me)

the flat swirly side rumbles a bit but i like the bumpy feel of it, so that doesnt bother me. flat swirly + the joystick do tend to stick if i swirl lightly, but if i press down they're fine.

i like the click sound most of the buttons make, but there are 2 buttons in the 5 button side that are almost-silent (on purpose, iirc) for public fidgeting.

18. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@raybot congrats! i also got the "prism" carrying thing which at first i was "eh" about before i realized 1. i can attach it to me and not lose it, 2. the silicone is v soft/smooth and that's nice to feel/play with in and of itself. it's held up well over the first month of usage, so [shrug] hopefully it continues to hold up ok.

i have actually discovered i personally don't much like the 2 silent buttons, not because they don't make noise, but because there isn't the physical feedback of clicking... you just push down on the button, but even when you've pushed it all the way it doesn't physically click - like i don't care about the sound, it's the feeling i want? but i have the other 3 buttons for that and other parts of the cube are also near-silent so i'm fine i guess P:

• Like x 2
  19. devian

devian Well-Known Member

as I recall, when the Prism was announced the creators said they'd specifically tested it a lot assuming that people were going to also fidget with the Prism. I think they were referring more to making sure that the silicone maintains its shape even if you tug on it a lot as a fidget action, but based on that I would imagine it's not super likely to break when pulled, at least.

saaaame, I don't use the silent buttons much because the tactile feedback isn't as good. I get why they don't make noise, but it would've been nice if they at least snapped into place.

• Like x 2
  20. Still waiting, just for the record

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice